Special Retailer Chat Recap - March 18, 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So 129 has 8 free TP's not 12? But 8 is more than enough for the additional 25 new HD's.

What I don't understand is why they must wait till 61.5 can do the same before they can add any on 129? And most importantly why Scott could not get any info out of DISH other than 61.5?

Charlie has been blaming delay of sat launches for the slow HD addition, but based on your analysis they can add them without any new sats at all? Now I for one can easily see the reason behind the inconsistency, after all marketing and reality are two different things.

Now that it is clear at a minimum AM-14 is delayed, they have decided to go with plan B, to use all the free TP's on 129.

Am I close enough?

129 has 12, I misposted. They will not put national HD on 129 without it going on 61.5 also. There are way too many people with 61.5 and not 129 that would be upset. The could add more LOCAL HD to 129 if the decided to do that, but for now it appears all the work is being done on 61.5. Adding that many cities that fast takes a lot of work.

Charlie has not blamed anything on the launches. He has always been nebulous saying Dish will have a lot more HD coming. Until the last Charlie Chat he had not promised a thing. Now there are a bunch of announce markets, that means they probably are ready to turn on 61.5. Once they have that done they can go back do doing national HD if they decide to do it.

Yes he had blamed the delay in sat launch but I can understand he needed to do damage control, not a problem at all. Now AM-14 is out of the picture for a while he can not wait, must go with the plan at full speed else people will think they will never catch up.

I did not know a lot of people do not use 129 for national HD's. Now it makes sense.

What about your comment about whether E5 has enough power to light up the 12 TP's? Do you think they can at least light up 4 or 5 more TP's on 129 reliably?

Navychop,

That is because, if you believe Nagravision, that a competitor to them released information that compromised Dish's Conditional Access System.

This resulted Dish encryption to hacked much more easily.

John

We all know the stories of VCRs stuffed with cash and labs in Israel.
But without hard facts its a bit much to believe.

Yes he had blamed the delay in sat launch but I can understand he needed to do damage control, not a problem at all. Now AM-14 is out of the picture for a while he can not wait, must go with the plan at full speed else people will think they will never catch up.

I did not know a lot of people do not use 129 for national HD's. Now it makes sense.

What about your comment about whether E5 has enough power to light up the 12 TP's? Do you think they can at least light up 4 or 5 more TP's on 129 reliably?

It is more than if e% has enough power. It also depends on the FCC and the contract between Ceil and Echostar.

I feel vindicated. Back when my 622 was installed Dish insisted that they change my 110/119/61.5 set-up to a D1000 with 129 and I refused. They said that I wanted me to be sure that I understood there might be programming I couldn't get in the future. Now it looks like even the HD locals for my area will be on 61.5 so all those installs with 129 over the past couple of years will have to be switched out.

Come on early May!

CDH.

I feel vindicated. Back when my 622 was installed Dish insisted that they change my 110/119/61.5 set-up to a D1000 with 129 and I refused. They said that I wanted me to be sure that I understood there might be programming I couldn't get in the future. Now it looks like even the HD locals for my area will be on 61.5 so all those installs with 129 over the past couple of years will have to be switched out.

Come on early May!

CDH.

Glad I had a 61.5 installed too. But I had to get it so I could receive the Pentagon Channel (9405). Now I wish Dish would come out with a super deluxe DPP44 switch with five satellite inputs so I could have an easy way to connect up all my LNBs. Usually leave 129 disconnected.

I feel vindicated. ...

I on the other hand wish I will not be vindicated, otherwise we will not have 129 for the new HD's. I have always felt this talk about 61.5, and AMC-14 being the cure, and after it was seriously delayed, it was said it did not matter, were all PR stunts because they left out a crucial element, how the west coast will be served properly.

Why can't they use 148?

Currently get 110/119/129 (105?), have a superdish and dish 1000.2 (tree issues I was told). In Greensboro, NC area, sched for MAR-APR roll out on LOCAL HD. Since I don't get 61.5 now, I assume that I need a third dish, guessing a dish 300 or 500. If, that is correct, what is the best approach to obtain? Guess here comes another bill.

I hear all the talk about spotbeams for locals, and since I am no expert on all this I was wondering, about how many spotbeams can they get on one TP. Is it 1 spot per TP, or can they put multiple spots on the same TP, and if they can put multiple spots on one TP do they all have to hit within a limited geographically area or can they be all over the place, like one on Boston and another on the same TP on say Kansas City. I have learned a lot about the satellite business in the past several months on this forum, and would like this question answered by one of you knowledgable guys to help expand my satellite IQ.

Space on 129

It seems to me that there are, at a minimum, two transponders on 129 that could be dedicated to new national HD pretty easily right now:

Transponder 1: Had Kansas City HD Locals on it until last week, when they were moved to TP's 4 and 12, which are now 6 channels MPEG4 each. TP1 is now empty, and could host 6 national HD channels.

Transponder 11: Currently has 7 HD test channels on it, and it would seem like a good candidate for 6 HD nationals (or more, if they can do it). :eek:

Brad

It seems to me that there are, at a minimum, two transponders on 129 that could be dedicated to new national HD pretty easily right now:

Transponder 1: Had Kansas City HD Locals on it until last week, when they were moved to TP's 4 and 12, which are now 6 channels MPEG4 each. TP1 is now empty, and could host 6 national HD channels.

Transponder 11: Currently has 7 HD test channels on it, and it would seem like a good candidate for 6 HD nationals (or more, if they can do it). :eek:

Brad

If you are correct, 12 new HD channels will be enough for me to jump on the $29.99 HD pack, if they will be available to this HD pack of course.

And you were right there are 7 MPEG4 HD tests on TP11. I knew they had to do something about 129 to serve the national HD's. This much is certain then, at least 6 more new HD's should be expected on 129, and likely more.

Brad

Yes they cleared 2 TPs that were working fine for some reason. Why bother clearing them if they had so many empty ones sitting around? I think the reason is that they run some of the TPs at double power. Some TPs on 129 have a lot more signal on the receiver's indicater than others (yes I know not scientific). For each TP they run in double power they have to leave another one turned off (the satellite can do up to 16 double or 32 single).

I could see them running TPs with national content at double power, and TPs with locals in the center part of the country where 129 wobble issues are minimized at normal power. Also normal power for the QPSK TPs doing SD locals, where QPSK does not need the satellite power that 8PSK for HD uses.

Dish has capacity but they appear to be careful about how they are using it to minimize problems. Yes the power could be compensated for with larger dishes, but they have optimized the manufacture of the dish size for the coming satellite.

This again is not true.

All of the new HD that Dish announced on the Charlie Chat was supposed to be available in APRIL.

As you know when you put a new satellite in space it takes a few months to park the satellite and fully test it. If everything went by book with the AMC-14 launch AMC-14 was slated to be put in service sometime after May 7th.

All of the new announced HD was going to launch before AMC-14 was even parked at 61.5. This is why Dish Networks HD plan goes on full speed ahead as it was never dependent on AMC-14.

Now in saying that some future HD launches (not yet announced) may be delayed since 61.5 is missing 4 of their licenced transponders. They will get those transponders back if AMC-14 makes it to 61.5. If AMC-14 does not make it they can still possibly added everything using other methods along with the rest of the other Eastern Arc spectrum that Dish is leasing.

This again is not true.

All of the new HD that Dish announced on the Charlie Chat was supposed to be available in APRIL.

But was it my fault then when during those chats they were clearly making the impression that AMC-14 held the key to the HD plan? And obviously I was not alone, most people were so dissapointed after hearing that AMC-14 failed, that the sky was falling.

And if you read me at the time, I was actually almost the only one there question the whole thing, because I did not think AMC-14 mattered anyway because it did not cover the west side. If they had a national plan it has to be from 129 or 148 or somewhere on this side. So to me what happened to AMC-14 did not matter that much in the first place.

But you ignored the discussion above that DISH can not use those 10 free TP's because they are assigned to Canada, not U.S.

I wonder what is your take on that?

First, Canada is not using them this is a Dish satellite.

Second Dish's agreement is for 16 TPs on the new Candadian satellite. They may get more if the Canadians do not use them. So, if they were going by that agreement they are already way over in usage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts