Spirit Not Going to Glorystar Very Soon

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rick68

Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Here is a copy of an email that I got from Spirit after I asked them about possibly going to Glorystar.
God bless,
Rick

Richard,

Thank you for your e-mail and for expressing your concern.

It is true that Sky Angel has made a decision to again pull Spirit
Television's 24/7 channel, and has added Spirit's programming overnights
beginning at 11 PM ET on KTV channel 9703.

Sky Angel will soon launch their new IPTV service, and Spirit will return as
a 24/7 channel at that time. From what we understand, their IPTV service
will eventually replace their satellite offering entirely. We're unclear on
the timing for these changes, however.

You can visit Sky Angel's site for more details about their forthcoming
service at www.skyangel.com. Essentially, IPTV uses a set-top box connected
to your highspeed Internet connection to deliver Sky Angel's channels to
your television. The quality should be similar to satellite, but the IPTV
box adds some additional TiVo-like functionality, such as being able to
pause and review live programming, record programs, etc.

We've contacted Glorystar, although the changes required to our uplink to
support their receivers may end up being cost-prohibitive and could
negatively impact our other existing cable and broadcast affiliates. We're
continuing to explore various options -- including Glorystar -- which may
allow us to provide continued satellite service to those unable to convert
to Sky Angel's IPTV service.

In the meantime, we hope you'll continue watching Spirit overnights on KTV
when you can. Additionally, our newly-improved 24/7 live stream continues at
www.spirit-television.com/watch.php. You may wish to get in touch with Sky
Angel directly to learn more about their planned IPTV service, or to share
your thoughts regarding the channel lineup change.

Thank you for watching and supporting Spirit Television, and have a great
day!

Michael Buckingham
Vice President
SPIRIT Television
michael@spirit-television.com
614-839-7137

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Electronic Privacy Notice.
This e-mail and any attachment contains information that is, or may
be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also
confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended
recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that
you have received this communication in error, and then immediately
delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

We've contacted Glorystar, although the changes required to our uplink to
support their receivers
may end up being cost-prohibitive and could
negatively impact our other existing cable and broadcast affiliates. We're
continuing to explore various options -- including Glorystar -- which may
allow us to provide continued satellite service to those unable to convert
to Sky Angel's IPTV service.

huh? If they sign a deal, all Glorystar could do is pluck the C-Band feed and reuplink it on KU. Glorystar controls the "support their receivers" portion so what's the issue?

i got the same e-mail
i can receive it via c band but thought if i would express intrest for everyone who only has ku reception . its a great channel

also not everyone will have fast enough service to receive IPTV.

in the boonies with dialup :) :(

I also received the same email. Can some give me/us some "technical" stuff to email back to explain to them that they are wrong about glorystar?

huh? If they sign a deal, all Glorystar could do is pluck the C-Band feed and reuplink it on KU. Glorystar controls the "support their receivers" portion so what's the issue?
I'm figuring that they mean that they'll have to convert over (or simulcast c & ku as to not affect existing affiliates) to uplinking in KU, or contract with someone to do it for them (Glorystar, or whoever). I'm betting that Glorystar doesn't just snag feeds from uplinkers and then retransmit them over ku for free, so there's the problem - $$$

i thought the networks uplink their own feed on ku and glorystar only pregrammed the receivers.
it cost money to uplink on ku. i know its cheaper then analog c band :)
god bless
john

I spoke with Glorystar about The Gospel Music channel. They said they cannot carry it because it's cband. So I guess it's up to the channel itself to make the feed available.

I guess the question is, will it really be as costly as spirit implied it would be?

I guess the question is, will it really be as costly as spirit implied it would be?
Well, since they already have a distribution network, they can't just dump that and let all of their affiliates "deal with it". So that means that they have to develop a 2nd distribution network for the ku upliink - that means at least a new ku encoder device, dish, transmitter, AND a leased ku transponder space (plus probably educate their current support people on ku, and either pay them more, or hire more people to support the ku side - you don't just add more work without paying for it somewhere [unless you work for my previous employer!]). Now they could avoid buying the ku transmission stuff if they could hire a company to download their C-Band stuff and reuplink it (surely not "cheap" yet).

I'd think they know what it costs to do what they do. So if they say it's too costly, then they are probably right. Competent companies that primarily rely on donations (or advertising) for support are pretty good about knowing their market, and the potential for revenue, and use that information in deciding which technologies/processes/etc to embrace. I suppose the best way to sway their opinion is to help them realize a bigger potential for revenue /support from the FTA/Glorystar avenue (i.e. keep calling/writing/requesting)

The Spirit / TVU feed up on CBand is First generation, ie its uplinked directly from their studios/HQ to CBand and then down linked by Skyangel and others for retransmission.

I think what Michael was trying to get at -- to support Glorystar would mean obtaining costly satellite space on a different bird (97 or 101) and installing equipment to send up a KU signal, as we all know this is costly and for a channel that runs based on viewer donations its more than likely difficult for them to justify at this point.

They have it easy with skyangel, their signal was already on C-Band and skyangel (actually dish network) handled the downlinking of it and retransmitting it up on 61.5 for SA* customers.

I for one will write them again as I will not be following them to IPTV. This is one viewer they lose if they don't broadcast on glorystar.

While I may go with a Glorystar system someday, I'm still hoping that Dish will carry more Christian channels when Sky Angel is gone from satellite. Once Sky Angel is gone Dish will have a very poor selection of Christian channels compared to DirecTV. In addition Dish will no longer be restricted from carrying more channels because the Sky Angel contract will be void.

So we should all write Dish to encourage them to add Spirit, JCTV, TVU, and or the Gospel Music Channel. I'm sure all these channels would love to be on Dish and hopefully at the 110 or 119 satellite locations so more people (believers and unbelievers alike) will be able to watch.

I would also encourage them to add the best channels from Sky Angel like TLN, Cornerstone, and Faith TV. Also I would really like the NRB channel that DirecTV carries.

I know one thing, if Dish doesn't add several good Christian channels after Sky Angel is gone then I'm going over to DirecTV.

So let's start writing to Dish now!

...In addition Dish will no longer be restricted from carrying more channels because the Sky Angel contract will be void....
That assumes that SA doesn't put similar restrictions on Dish as a condition of selling the transponder space back to Dish.

switch to direct tv?

If you are going to have to buy new equipment anyway, why not keep dish and buy GLORYSTAR? Would save you a lot of $ in the long run

That assumes that SA doesn't put similar restrictions on Dish as a condition of selling the transponder space back to Dish.

Good point but I don't think Charlie will be foolish to do that again. Let's hope not anyway. I for one was enjoying JCTV (when it shared time with some educational channel) before Sky Angel had it removed.

Good point but I don't think Charlie will be foolish to do that again. Let's hope not anyway. I for one was enjoying JCTV (when it shared time with some educational channel) before Sky Angel had it removed.
Depends. If DN is going after those transponders for a specific "profitable" purpose, they'd probably be willing to give up the very small number of subscribers dedicated to these channels in order to obtain the transponders. I'm better that DN has other plans for those transponders, plans that don't include us :/

If you are going to have to buy new equipment anyway, why not keep dish and buy GLORYSTAR? Would save you a lot of $ in the long run

Two reasons. One, I like having a DVR built into my receiver. I don't think Glorystar has that yet. And two, I like getting my local channels and certain sports channels by satellite. It would then require me to have two receivers (one from Dish or DirecTV) for locals/sports programming and then the Glorystar receiver.

Like I said before, I'm sure someday I will have a Glorystar system but for now I hoping Dish will add more Christian channels after Sky Angel is gone.

Dish is too small...you need a 30" dish and a different LNB (the thing that sticks out of the arm on the dish like an eyeball) for Glorystar :)

Depends. If DN is going after those transponders for a specific "profitable" purpose, they'd probably be willing to give up the very small number of subscribers dedicated to these channels in order to obtain the transponders. I'm better that DN has other plans for those transponders, plans that don't include us :/

Actually I hope they do have other plans for Echostar III at 61.5. If Dish does add Christian programming after Sky Angel is gone then it would be better for it to be at the 110 or 119 location so more people can watch them. I know, I'm a very optimistic person but I have a lot of faith that good can come out of Sky Angel's departure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts