split the source?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tandias

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Is it possible to successfully split one input signal to a dual tuner receiver? I put a cheap splitter on and all seems good with the exception of having some pixelation on the HD channels. Is this as good as it gets or can I hope for better with a signal booster or better splitter?

thanks,
Tandias

Is it possible to successfully split one input signal to a dual tuner receiver? I put a cheap splitter on and all seems good with the exception of having some pixelation on the HD channels. Is this as good as it gets or can I hope for better with a signal booster or better splitter?

thanks,
Tandias

No, this does not work. Satellite doesn't work that way. It may seem like it's working for now, but it really isn't. With DirecTV, unless you're using one of the brand new, and nearly impossible to get SWM modules, you MUST run two lines to a dual tuner receiver. Putting a splitter in line with a dual tuner receiver will at best cause signal dropouts and one tuner to not work, and at worst will damage your equipment. Why did the installer not run the two lines to your dual tuner receiver?

I rearranged some equipment and the room I now have the DVR(HR20) in is setup for a single line. This is fine since I use the DVR very seldom, however, in the past couple of weeks everytime I change a channel, I get a "Searching for signal on 2" message because I only have tuner 1 with a source signal. Very annoying. It did not do this before. I guess it must have been a software update and I can not find anywhere that I can tell the receiver to only use the one tuner. I can find this setting in all other DVRs, just not the HR20.

I rearranged some equipment and the room I now have the DVR(HR20) in is setup for a single line. This is fine since I use the DVR very seldom, however, in the past couple of weeks everytime I change a channel, I get a "Searching for signal on 2" message because I only have tuner 1 with a source signal. Very annoying. It did not do this before. I guess it must have been a software update and I can not find anywhere that I can tell the receiver to only use the one tuner. I can find this setting in all other DVRs, just not the HR20.

Have you tried restarting the box and/or unplugging it and plugging back in after 10-15 minutes? I had that problem with mine and it went away after I restarted it - it should auto-detect that there is only one line hooked up and not try to use the 2nd tuner.

Also make sure you're not trying to change the channel while recording, because that will "force" it to try to use tuner 2, even if there's nothing there.

Have you tried restarting the box and/or unplugging it and plugging back in after 10-15 minutes? I had that problem with mine and it went away after I restarted it - it should auto-detect that there is only one line hooked up and not try to use the 2nd tuner.

Also make sure you're not trying to change the channel while recording, because that will "force" it to try to use tuner 2, even if there's nothing there.

I have tried the button reset, not the unplug. I will try that , thanks. Funny thing is, the tuner shows a 75% signal with no line in the 2nd tuner.

I have tried the button reset, not the unplug. I will try that , thanks. Funny thing is, the tuner shows a 75% signal with no line in the 2nd tuner.

That's your problem, then. For whatever reason, the box thinks you have something coming in on the 2nd line. Look at the back of the box and make sure you don't have anything physically plugged into that second input, then do the reset/unplug and let it run through the normal setup. Go back at that point and see what the readings say - they should be 0%.

That's your problem, then. For whatever reason, the box thinks you have something coming in on the 2nd line. Look at the back of the box and make sure you don't have anything physically plugged into that second input, then do the reset/unplug and let it run through the normal setup. Go back at that point and see what the readings say - they should be 0%.

I tried last night, and have the same result. I also tried doing a reset with the input in tuner #2 leaving tuner#1 disconnected. Same result with the exception that the error message says "Searching in Sat 1" instead of 2. I even tried "reset everything" from the setup menu screen. Same result. This will be the third HR20 I will have had replaced if it turns out to be the tuner. Good thing D* replaced that hunk of crap Tivo that did nothing but work all the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)