Splitter troubleshooting

devehf

Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Boise, ID
Hi Guys,

I need to resolve a signal loss issue introduced by a new splitter in my setup.

I am building a MythTV box with Ubuntu and a Hauppauge wintv-hvr-1800. I am installing it in my office which is on the other side of the house from my living room where I currently have an HDTV hooked up to a RadioShack 15-2185 antenna. The antenna is in the attic and it has a DC power injector inserted in the coax line to the TV. This 12v DC powers an amplifier board in the antenna.

Well I put a splitter in the most convenient place to run a coax line to the office (in my crawl space) and thought the power injector could still go in line, in close proximity to the TV on the TV's side of the splitter (out side). I got a Philips SDW5010GN/17 splitter at Lowes because it says it has a "12 volt DC power pass" feature. I figured that even though this feature is probably designed for satellite switches, it should allow the amplifier to get power.

Well the red LED is lit up on the power injector, a sign that DC power is supplied to the antenna and that there are no shorts in the connection
between the power injector and antenna. But I get no signal on my HDTV. I haven't drilled the holes yet for pulling coax into my office, so the 2nd run of coax from the splitter isn't hooked to anything yet. I guess I will do that now and run some diagnostics on the Hauppauge tuner.

But I also am thinking that I need to move that power injector on the antenna side of the splitter. Will that improve my loss of signal situation or am I on a wild goose chase? To do this I am going to need to do some major rewiring and drilling holes in floors so I don't want to move things around unless I am going to likely improve the signal.

Also, paying $25 per coax cable at Radio Shack is starting to get expensive. I think I am just going to go ahead and get this crimper at Sears. You think it is worth it? Where should I get my raw cable and F connectors?

Is RG-6 the best? or RG-59.

I should mention that the 8 ft connector from my splitter to my HDTV is RG-59U. Would that be bad?

Geez this post has more product placement than Extreme Home Makeover.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Guys,

I need to resolve a signal loss issue introduced by a new splitter in my setup.

The antenna is in the attic and it has a DC power injector inserted in the coax line to the TV. This 12v DC powers an amplifier board in the antenna.

Well I put a splitter in the most convenient place to run a coax line to the office (in my crawl space) and thought the power injector could still go in line, in close proximity to the TV on the TV's side of the splitter (out side).

Some power pass splitters are diode steered, meaning that they can pass either +12 or -12 volts, but not both. Make sure that the polarity of the splitter that you have is compatible with the power supply for your amplifier.

By all means put the power injector between the splitter and the antenna.

You are probably getting no voltage to the pre-amp.

Do not use RG-59, you sure are going to a lot of trouble for a crappy ant in the attic.
Got it. RG-6 all the way. Thanks.

Also, that crappy ant worked just fine for one TV. why not an additional tuner on the same ant? What's the alternative? spend $60 on another ant? That doesn't make sense. My labor is cheap. :)

Some power pass splitters are diode steered, meaning that they can pass either +12 or -12 volts, but not both. Make sure that the polarity of the splitter that you have is compatible with the power supply for your amplifier.
Interesting. I can't tell from the documentation. Is there a way to test this with a multimeter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts