This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Splitters, two boxes, and media center

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edinnj

Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
I know this is probably a very basic and dumb question but I need help from someone out there who knows...I have direct TV in 3 rooms. Two of the rooms are regular and one is HDTV. All this coming from one dish. I got a media center PC and wanted to set it up with it's own separate sattelite box so I took one from one of the other rooms and brought it in next to the HD box. Then I used a regular garden-variety cable splitter to run sattelite to both boxes side by side - one for the media center and one for straight viewing through the HDTV box. Ever since I did that I get "Searching for sattelite signal" or "Channel not available" on several channels. Is there a special kind of splitter I need to do this or is it even do-able??

As you have found out, you cannot use a splitter for sat. tv. You need to run a direct line from the sattelite dish in order to add another box

shappyss said:
As you have found out, you cannot use a splitter for sat. tv. You need to run a direct line from the sattelite dish in order to add another box

Or stackers and Destackers. Those are some $$$$ though.

I have a similar setup with three TVs (with one HD), but I have a Windows XP MCE on a non-HD box. I just use two different outputs in the MCE setup, where the Coax output goes to the non-HD TV and the S-video and audio cables go to the Windows XP MCE system. That way, I can record programs using MCE and it works great. Keep in mind that the MCE PC and the TV will display the same program/channel.

Rob.

Status
Please reply by conversation.