Splitting HDMI Signal Or Something To Hook Up Second TV??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rebel Racing

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Detroit
Hi Guys,

Up to a week ago I had a no name 19" tv in the kitchen getting signal through RCA audio cables and an S-video line from our HR24 while the main tv used the HDMI out port. Worked well (not Hd of course though). Well, the cheapo no name tv died and I picked up a new Samsung 22". I quickly discovered that the new tv does not have an S-video in. I'd really like to bring HDMI to it but don't know how to. The research I have done so far tells me that it either is not possible (kind of doubt that since you walk into Best Buy and see several tv's getting a HD signal all on the same channel) or, you can only watch one set at a time--we want to have both the living room on and the kitchen at the same time. So my question is:

Can I split (probably not the righ term) the HDMI without any signal degradation on the main tv?

If splitting isn't possible, is there an adapter to go from the S-video end to HDMI?

Any ideas for us????

Thanks!!

If you are using a Directv branded box, all outputs are live. You could use HDMI on one and component on the other. That way you would get hd on both sets. Splitting HDMI doesn't always work.There are handshake issues sometimes. If you want to do HDMI on both sets, you may need to get an HDMI switch instead of a splitter.

Yep, component would work or us--someone told me that the resolution on the main set would get lower but I kinda doubted that. Now I just need to find 25' of component cable.

Thanks!!

I was looking at Tvs recently at Walmart. They had about 20 all in a row playing the same thing. I noticed the one I was looking at was being fed by component. I asked the Walmart guy about it. He shrugged and said they were all set up that way. It is probably easier to split component VS splitting HDMI.

I have used component in the past and have compared HDMI vs component and HDMI never won. In fact some of the time component looked better.....

retail stores almost always use a video distribution systems of some sort and those can range from somewhat simple to highly complex and do not always provide the best PQ.

if you use 2 video outs from the receiver neither the PQ or resolutions will get lower.

you can also think about adding another receiver; best PQ and the ability to watch individually selected channels vs the main unit

Yep, component would work or us--someone told me that the resolution on the main set would get lower but I kinda doubted that. Now I just need to find 25' of component cable.

Thanks!!
I have a link for a place called PC cables. Easy and low price for component cables. i Have used a set of 25 foot log cables befoe. The place is pccables.com. Can check it out if you wish. Moderators if there is a problem with my posting a link, please delete and op can im me.

It would be easier to run 25' HDMI cable than 25' Component which are actually five (3+2) RCA cables. As far a PQ, you should not see much of a difference between Components and HDMI. BTW, 25' HDMI cable on Ebay is less than $8 with free shipping.

It would be easier to run 25' HDMI cable than 25' Component which are actually five (3+2) RCA cables. As far a PQ, you should not see much of a difference between Components and HDMI. BTW, 25' HDMI cable on Ebay is less than $8 with free shipping.

although you are correct; the user is talking about his HDMI already being used and needing to utilize the component out as a secondary output option in addition to the HDMI use.

He should get a short Component cable to the main HD TV and the 25' HDMI cable to the new and farther TV. For less than $11 including shipping he can get both cables on eBay.

DVDDAD said:
Why no mention of an HDMI splitter? I use one and cannot tell the difference in PQ with & w/o it. I use this one from Monoprice with a 50' cable to the TV in my basement and it works great.

Same here. 50" hdmi cable with a splitter. Either you get a signal or you don't. There is down rez.
Mine works fine.:)

Like I mentioned earlier, HDMI splitters don't always work. Sometimes there are handshake issues.

Same here. Got a HDMI splitter from Monoprice -- expected some problems, but it's been perfect (been using it about a year).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)