Splitting OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
I was told by the D* tech that my OTA feed could not be split to feed my three receivers - would lose too much signal.

I have the cheapo (Wingard Sensar I think) antenna that they installed. I am about 38 miles from the tower, and was getting signals in the 90s when hooked up to the HR10-250. I split the signal myself at the receiver to send to my TV's ATSC tuner as well, and both worked fine.

Was the tech misinformed, or should it be possible to split to 3 receivers? Would I do better with a better antenna like the CM4228? Amplifier? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

So what you're saying - should be able to keep existing antenna, maybe add an amp. What would be considered too long a cable run? I think for me, 2 would be about 30 feet, and one about 60 feet.

cal87 said:
Thanks.

So what you're saying - should be able to keep existing antenna, maybe add an amp. What would be considered too long a cable run? I think for me, 2 would be about 30 feet, and one about 60 feet.

No problem.

You should be fine with what you have, but, try it out without the amp,, it may be ok, if not, and if worse comes to worse, you'll just have to throw an amp(s) inline, no big deal.

Good luck.

cal87 said:
Thanks.

You should be fine.

Jimbo

Thanks again.

One last question. If I should need an amp, any recommendations?

cal87 said:
Thanks again.

Do you mean brands? No, shouldn't matter much, just try and buy it from a place that has a good return policy, so you can take it back, in case.

And, 10db should be enough.

You will want the inline amp as close to the antenna end as possible. i.e. Antenna->AMP->splitter->STBs

Last edited:
cal87 said:
Thanks again.

I have a similar situation. Coax run from the chimney-mounted Winegard Squareshooter is 25 feet to the equipment rack. In the rack I have an inexpensive RadioShack one in/four out coax amplifier. Two coax outs go right into the rack (E* VIP622 & D* H20) and the third runs another 75 feet beyond to bedroom (D* HTL-HD) on opposite side of house. STB signal meters showed almost double the signal strength after inserting the amplifier--even at far end of run!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)