Splitting VOOM OTA signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

grumpy1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Tell me if I this should work with a somewhat negligible signal loss. I took my non-diplexed V* OTA feed and split it with a Radio Shack bought RCA digital splitter D800 40-2150 MHZ and ran a very short second line to my high definition ready recreation room 65in Mits. Since V* now carries ESPN-HD and my E* 811HD has become somewhat redundant at my main viewing TV, I would like to use the 811 to receive my HD locals and E*'s limited HD offerings in the second location.

Anyway the split OTA seems to work OK at my main TV with the V* box, except my one difficult to receive station seems to be a little more so. Don't know if this is just partially weather related or from signal loss or both.

My 811 OTA's capabilities seem less than V*'s as I am having trouble tuning two stations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just don't split the OTA cable between the power inserter and the antenna!

I am splitting the OTA cable now, so I can watch analog channels from the same antenna too. Not a great reception, but works fine as a backup...

Thanks Ilya. The power injector was eventually disconnected by the installer. He was here a few times. I found it loose behind the TV. Tried to connect it myself, but it doesn't seem to help. What exactly is it supposed to do?

grumpy1 said:
Thanks Ilya. The power injector was eventually disconnected by the installer. He was here a few times. I found it loose behind the TV. Tried to connect it myself, but it doesn't seem to help. What exactly is it supposed to do?

It provides DC to the preamp in the antenna. It must go BETWEEN THE ANTENNA AND SPLITTER in order for it to work properly. Most splitters won't pass DC in the reverse.

I really don't know why folks buy splitters that pass signals in the 2Ghz range. There are no OTA stations or cable stations at those frequencies. Save a few bucks and get a good quality 5-1000Mhz splitter. Most of these RCA/Magnavox Bullsh!t gimmick splitters have worse characteristics anyway.

The splitter only cost about $10-12 and it shows a DC pass to the antenna on its body. Anyway I put the power injector between the splitter and the amp and all the HD OTA channels in the recreation room with the 811 now come in great. Thanks guys. :) The problem channel still is a problem with the V* receiver though. The power injector didn't help here. Ilya it's channel 19.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)