Sports idols who lost your respect?

BTW, the Lions cut that slug you guys sent us - Bodden. I hope Rogers keeps playing to that level, not for him, but for you. You had to see him in Detroit to understand how Jimbo and I feel.

I heard. Why does everyone stink once they go to Detroit? We could've used Bodden this year. I hope the new regime gives him a try out to come back to Cleveland.

...That was a strange "stance"....
Dick McAuliffe had a strange one, too. Back forty years ago, before kids all went to training camp and got stances indoctrinated into them, baseball players and golfers all had stances so distinctive that we all could imitate them, and anyone watching would know who we were imitating.

Last edited:
Dick McAuliffe had a strange one, too. Back forty years ago, before keds all went to training camp and got stances indoctrinated into them, baseball players and golfers all had stances so distinctive that we all could imitate them, and anyone watching would know who we were imitating.

"Step in to the bucket"

Forgot about that guy. That was a strange "stance". I'm still hoping to go to a game in Fenway someday. I missed out on going to Yankee Stadium. Maybe Fenway and Cooperstown, when my son gets older.:)

That will be a great take for you and your son, Paul. :up

Like I said earlier, I went to many Tigers-Red Sox games in the '70's.

It seemed like every Tiger game I went to, they had a different catcher.

There was Bill Freehan, Wockenfuss, Bruce Kimm (I'll always remember him as Mark "The Bird" Fidrych's personal catcher), and then of course later on, Lance Parrish.

Freehan was here for a long time. IMO the best C in the AL in his era. Can't believe he's not in the HOF. The guy was an all star for most of the sixties. Maybe you would like to join us if I ever get out there?

It seemed like every Tiger game I went to, they had a different catcher.

There was Bill Freehan, Wockenfuss, Bruce Kimm (I'll always remember him as Mark "The Bird" Fidrych's personal catcher), and then of course later on, Lance Parrish.

I forgot one: Milt May. :up

Although I never really "liked" him or "idolized" him, I did have a lot of respect for Bret Favre given his accomplishments as a player (even though many of those were done at the expense of my favorite team.) After what went down in 2008 though much of my respect went down the drain quicker than water down a recently Dranoed sink.

Freehan was here for a long time. IMO the best C in the AL in his era. Can't believe he's not in the HOF. The guy was an all star for most of the sixties. Maybe you would like to join us if I ever get out there?

I'd love to. It would be awesome if we could get a few Sat Guys to come to a game at Fenway. :up

I'm down. I've never been to Boston, but would love to go. I'm sure they have a few watering holes we can stop at along the way.

HD,

the Fenway neighborhood is LOADED with them. That's part of the "Fenway Experience". :up

I'll be taking my son to his first baseball game this summer. He turns 4 on March 5th. Hoping I can pass on my love for baseball to him.

Bill, I'm starting to think you know the Tiger's better than I do. Milt May. What a memory you have. Let me throw another one back at you - Jim Price.

I'll be taking my son to his first baseball game this summer. He turns 4 on March 5th. Hoping I can pass on my love for baseball to him.

That's awesome, Paul. I can still remember my father taking me to my first game (April 1974). I can still remember the feeling I had, seeing Fenway for the first time. Everything was so green! And then, I passed that on to my daughter. She's 15 now, but I try to take her to at least one game a year.
I woke her up in the ninth inning the night the Sox won it all in 2004. I cried in both her and my wife's arms:eek: (part of the reason was thinking of my Dad not being there for that moment).

Bill, I'm starting to think you know the Tiger's better than I do. Milt May. What a memory you have. Let me throw another one back at you - Jim Price.

I don't recall Jim Price.

Joe Coleman (a Massachusetts native) was the Tigers pitcher at the first game I ever attended.

Baseball is a great game shared between a father and son. Some of my favorite memories as a kid involved attending ball games with my Dad and Grandpa. 3 generations, sharing stories of yesteryear and taking in the greatest game ever played. It certainly doesn't get much better than that.

Baseball is a great game shared between a father and son. Some of my favorite memories as a kid involved attending ball games with my Dad and Grandpa. 3 generations, sharing stories of yesteryear and taking in the greatest game ever played. It certainly doesn't get much better than that.

Absolutely.......well said!!! :up

That's awesome, Paul. I can still remember my father taking me to my first game (April 1974). I can still remember the feeling I had, seeing Fenway for the first time. Everything was so green! And then, I passed that on to my daughter. She's 15 now, but I try to take her to at least one game a year.
I woke her up in the ninth inning the night the Sox won it all in 2004. I cried in both her and my wife's arms:eek: (part of the reason was thinking of my Dad not being there for that moment).

I don't recall Jim Price.

Joe Coleman (a Massachuseets native) was the Tigers pitcher at the first game I ever attended.

Freehan's back-up. Now he is the color man for the radio broadcasts.

Did you really misspell Massachusetts? Or did I?:D

1968 was special for me and my dad.

These posts are making me all gooey. Nice to talk about something good associated with "The greatest game ever played". Makes me feel good about baseball again. I'm going to stay away from those "other" threads for a while, you know which ones I'm speaking about.

Plane crash in area where several SABRES live!

Freestyle motorcross/Metal Mulisha member Jeremy Lusk dead at 24..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)