Sports pack, OTA, whole house DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Thinking about switching to Directv and I have few questions:
1. Can sports pack be added to any package? On their web site I picked choice extra and added sports pack but then I was automatically upgraded to premier package, don't know why. I don't want premier package.
2. Does their hd dvr have built in OTA tuner?
3. Does whole house DVR require additional wiring? Right now I have one coax running to each TV from a dish network antenna.

I mostly care about soccer so if you know how to get these channels without paying for premier pack please let me know.

1. When you sign up, one of the things you get is HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax free for 3 months. With those there and then adding the Sports Pack, it switches you to the Premier package which is functionally the same as 4 movies channels and the Sports Pack.

2. Only the HR20 had OTA tuner capability. Those haven't been produced for quite awhile. If you need OTA you could either hook it straight to your TV or get an AM21 add on OTA tuner

3 Assuming you are getting the whole home DVR setup, then each TV will have one wire running to it.

After the 1st 3 months of service have completed, you have to cancel the premium movie channels if you don't want them. Also at that time, change your sub to Choice Extra and add the Sports Pack.

On directv web site when I go to Sports - Soccer there is bunch of listed soccer channels numbered 477-490. According to the web site most of these channels are available with CHOICE or above package and the remaining ones are part of Sports Pack. However, these channels are not listed on channel lineups under any package. So, what are these channels? PPV? Can I watch them with any CHOICE package as the web site says without subscribing to Sports Pack?

If you're into soccer and if you want Fox Deportes, BE SURE to request a "Spanish" dish capable of viewing that channel. All of the channels in the 400s (except Univision, Gol TV, Galavision, and the UEFA/Rugby channels in the 477-490 range) are on a different satellite that the main "English" DTV dish doesn't see. I do not know the real names for the dishes - please forgive my terminology.

The 477-490 channels are all labeled "UEFA" or "Rugby" and offer many games/matches. A few of those channels are PPV, but most are not. I do not subscribe to any soccer packages and the games on the non-PPV channels in that range come through.

Iceberg - if I wanted to transform a 3-lnb dish into a 5, is that something I could do myself or would a tech have to come out?

nah you can do it yourself. Might have to do some minor tweaking on the dish to optimize signals but it can be done

SL5 swm lnb (if you have 1 wire coming from dish, and if your careful all you need are some needle nose pliers and a 7/16 wrench) or just an sl5 lnb, if you have 4 wires coming from dish. Just ask your installer if he will make sure you can view the 119 satellite, and use a 5lnb, maybe throw him 10bucks. should work fine that way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)