Sportscaster George Michael Dies

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
From ESPN.com

'Pioneer' Sportscaster George Michael Passes After Battle With Cancer

Famed radio DJ and sportscaster George Michael died Thursday at age 70 after a battle with cancer.

Michael (seen at right with Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis) was on the air for a quarter century in the Washington D.C. area on WRC, the NBC affiliate. The George Michael Sports Machine show began as a local program in 1980 and was syndicated in 1984. It became a late-night staple.

The station he worked for, NBC4, released the following statement:

"George Michael was our friend and colleague for more than 25 years. He was a dynamic force around our newsroom and in the entire Washington area. George was a pioneer in sports broadcasting. He was a gifted interviewer, a master storyteller and one of the hardest working journalists out there. Our hearts go out to his wife, Pat, and his daughter, Michelle, both of whom also worked with us for many years, as well as the rest of his family."

Prior to transitioning into sports, Michael was one of the country's biggest AM radio DJs. He worked at WFIL in Philadelphia before moving to Washington and becoming sports anchor at NBC4.

Michael exited the station in 2008 after a battle over budget cuts. He previously had given up his lead anchor position a year earlier in an effort to save jobs.

A real throwback, buddy-of-the jocks type guy. He got a lot of interviews because the athletes knew he wasn't going to try to show them up, yet he wasn't seen as selling out.

Back in the early 1970s, I used to drive through the New Hampshire White Mountains about once a week, and the only two radio stations I could hold were WBZ, with Guy Manilla's Calling All Sports, followed by Jerry Williams, and WABC, with Dan Ingram and then George Michael. His station used reverb that made it sound like he was broadcasting from a barrel.

You're going to hear about as many favorable testimonials from players and colleagues as you'll ever hear about anyone.

I liked him.I remember him more for his voice in the mid to late 70s the AM dial here in the NY/NJ area on Music Radio 77 WABC".He had that distinct voice.He will be missed.

I've spent a great deal of my life in-and-out of the DC area since 1980 and I have always appreciated George Michaels both personally and professionally - just a really likeable guy and honest, straight-forward reporting and unbiased commentary of the events.

George will be indeed be missed...

I remember watching The Sports Machine on Sunday night. I really liked it when George would show plays of the week and he would start laughing and could hardly get through the segment. I can remember laughing out loud with George.

R.I.P. George. You will be missed!!

bummer
In the days before pizza dish and when everyone had cable, for the OTA only folks that is how you got your sports hilites :)

I get a kick out of this video. George and Jim Vance having a good laugh.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eINGyJHz8]YouTube - News reader cannot stop laughing at model falling over![/ame]

bummer
In the days before pizza dish and when everyone had cable, for the OTA only folks that is how you got your sports hilites :)

Yep!

Before there was SportsCenter on ESPN and Sport Tonight(CNN's former nightly 30 minutes sports show)....there was the Sports Machine! I loved it an looked forward to it every night.

And similarly, it was Howard Cossell's halftime highlights from Sunday's football games that made Monday Night Football must-see TV.

Yeah, I used to watch the Sports Machine late on Sunday night before going to bed...

Kind of like someone else said, I'm not that big into sports, but that show always moved fast and kept me interested.

I liked that prop that looked like a reel to reel tape machine where he would press a big button to "get the clip rolling".

His year end plays of the year were the best shows...

Haven' t seen the sports machine in years, but I did like the show. The Schlocky "Video Machine" which he started and stopped was rather stupid though.

John