SportsNet New York, Now Available!

Any hope that SNY will be on Dish Network before the Mets game on Wednesday?

I can't belive Dish is going this way. It does not make any sense for Dish not to carry neither YES or SNY. :(

cforrest said:
Channel 730 on Cablevision has INHD2 that becomes SNY-HD when the Mets are home and in HD. So CV is carrying the channel for the game and post game in HD.

Thanks, I didn't notice that in the guide and CV customer service was no help. They told me I could also see the HD version on channel 60 as long as I had an HD box. Seems that their reps are as clueless as E*'s!

alexgmny said:
Any hope that SNY will be on Dish Network before the Mets game on Wednesday?

I can't belive Dish is going this way. It does not make any sense for Dish not to carry neither YES or SNY. :(

I agree to shut out the entire baseball market in NY is absolutely ludicrous. I still think this is a Denver company that does not have a clue about the NY market. Here you have the # 1 market in the country, where baseball is absolutely by far and away the # 1 sport and Dish does not carry either NY team. They will regret this, and in a hurry. They already lost the Yankee fans, and now I see the Met fans leaving in droves, too.

First and foremost I am a Mets fan and secondly a long time Dish customer, so you know where my loyalties lie. I have sent numerous emails to the programming dept and to ceo@echostar.com, with the similar responses of "we would like to add this channel, however we are still in negotiations"..Well I can't wait anymore. I have called Directv and made the switch, I have an install scheduled for April 7. I will cancel if I hear that Dish is picking up SNY before the 7th, but I don't have any confidence that they will. I don't understand Dish, I spend nearly $90 a month(AT120, HD Pack, HBO, SHO), just pick up the channel, I'm sure there are thousands of subscribers like me who will jump ship because their loyalties lie with the Mets not their TV provider.

Yeah.... I have been with Dish since 1998. I just got upgraded in February to DishHD. I have to check if I can drop dish without any penalty fees. If I cant....i will do the time. I guess I will go see the mets live on the weekends. But I was a happy customer with Dish until they go and do this.

If SNY and YES agreed to live off of their advertising and give the channel away, they would have been added the instant they were offered. Since both these channels want to extort $2.50-$3.50 a month per subscriber per month and at the same time refuse to allow Dish to give the subscriber the choice to pay the extra amount or not, Dish has to make a business decision. Sometimes the business decision pisses some people off. But the initial issue is that the channels themselves REFUSE to allow for a la carte it is THEIR FAULT they are not available to every one. Blame the Mets and the Yankees for trying to extort more cash from YOUR wallet. They were both on other channels and were available on Dish before. It was the Yankees and the Mets that took the games away from you so they could make more money!

Dish is a company trying to make a buck. If you do not like the way the company does business, do business with some one else AND STOP THE BELLY-ACHING! Jeez louise! :)

See ya
Tony

2.50-$3.50 a month

Those numbers are way off. YES gets $ 2.25 a customer and SNY gets $ 1.75. Dish can clearly see the two posters above saying they will leave soon. This is what I mean. They already lost the Yankee fans, and they will lose the Mets fans in the next few weeks if they do not get a deal. Keep in mind that in NY the Mets and Yankee fans are two distinctly different entities. Very few people are both Met and Yankee fans. The Yankee crowd is already gone and the Met crowd is about to follow out the door. Dish doesn't have a clue how important baseball is in the NY market.

Tony, I do not know if you are a baseball fan. If you are...Dish carries your favorite team right now? If so, You are not experiencing what some Mets fans/dish customers in NYC are going through.

If you are not a baseball fan....then you have less idea. Yes I understand that Dish is trying to make a buck....as does Direct TV and the other cable companies. Baseball teams also have to make a buck in other to pay the product that they are showing. I have no problem to pay extra to see the mets. If Dish is not willing to be competitive with the competition....you are right I will spend my $110.00 I am paying to DISh right now (platinum) to a service to has what I want. I do not lose...Dish loses...I believe.

Also Tony, SNY, YES or any other RSN will not allow Dish to put on the channel as a premium channel. They are a basic channel on every other cable company and DirecTV. If they allowed Dish to put it on a premium tier all the other companies would want it premium, too. No way that will every happen. These RSN's make money by being basic and they get paid for every subscriber not just the few who would subscribe to the channel as a premium. Whether it is fair or not is irrelevant, because that is the way these channels are sold to all providers. If Dish does not want to play by the rules then they just get out of the busines.

All I know is every other provider in NY carries all four RSN's and their prices are basically the same as Dish. Dish claims they are keeping prices down, but that is total garbage to sell to the public.

they keep prices down for themselves because every year we (customers) get a price increase... so where is the benefit or the so called dish is looking after my benefit... it is all pure garbage.

Attack me all you will. The point is still valid. If the Yanks and the Mets weren't trying to extract every nickel they can from you (US) they would be on the air right now on MSG or Fox Sports or even WWOR or WPIX! Remember when most of the games were on OTA channels? FREE?

So again we come down to those that want this channel are willing to get it only as long as everyone has to buy it if they want a basic package. Again it's "just amother 3 or 4 bucks." and again when the next price increase comes down the pike everyone is screaming about the greedy cable/satellite company. God forbid an expensive channel like YES or SNY (3-10 times more expensive than most channes) be sold ONLY to those that want it.

As to my personal tastes...Yes I can see the Reds on Fox Sports Ohio. No they did not form their own network to extract more cash. If they had and Dish didn't carry them, I would say GOOD FOR DISH!!! I am taking the year off from the Reds anyway. Supporting one sucky team at a time in this city is my limit. Talk to me again next year.

See ya
Tony

Sean Mota said:
they keep prices down for themselves because every year we (customers) get a price increase... so where is the benefit or the so called dish is looking after my benefit... it is all pure garbage.

Some of it is pure garbage, but the price increases are due to the program price increases from Viacom (where everyone screamed because they lost Spike or whatever) and Disney and Hearst and many others. There has to be somewhere a company can hold the line. But as I said earlier, if you don't like the business decisions of the company you are doing business with STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM and go to the competition! Otherwise all the bitching in the world will not change the end result!

See ya
Tony

But Tony, you are missing the point. Yes, it would be nice if just those that wanted a particular RSN could pay for it. However, that is not how it works. All the companies carry it basic, because that is the only way it is sold to them. All the providers would love to put it on a premium tier, but the channels would never allow it. There is no way they would change these rules for Dish, because all the other companies would want the same deal. These channels will never be sold like that.

Tony,

maybe we should go back to the 50's when there was only OTA. Time change and business models change over time. The reality is that you can't go back to those time because in business you either get eaten by the competition or you sit down with the competition and do business.

My question is, do we know for certain that a non baseball fan, like me, would absolutely not receive a price hike to cover the additional cost, which we all agree there would be.
I understand that dish may be BSing us about keeping prices low, but do we know for sure there would be no increase ?

Tony I am not attacking you. I am just trying to make you see what a met fan/dish customer is going through.

The Reds market is different from either the Mets or Yankees. Here in NY your team has produce. If the Mets and Yankees are building their respective teams with players that get paid HIGH salaries is because the Fans of those teams want some quick results.

Here will like to see that our team has a chance to win sometime. I know some times they dont...i know but at least you have a better chance. In order to pay those salaries they teams have to create some income source. These TV channels (yes / sny) are their new source.

I live in a City that is expensive but you get paid well. I do not live in Ohio. Not insulting you but your team and your city cant be compared to NY. I for one do not scream when I there is an increase in the monthly bill for my TV service as long as the service is good. i pay right now $110.00 per month. I have no problem paying as long as the company gives me what I want....if it doesnt.....as you said.....go to another service. Dont blame the Mets/yankees.......it is the future for all the teams.....you will see.....it is the only way to be competitive. Something Dish does not understand.

TNGTony said:
Some of it is pure garbage, but the price increases are due to the program price increases from Viacom (where everyone screamed because they lost Spike or whatever) and Disney and Hearst and many others. There has to be somewhere a company can hold the line. But as I said earlier, if you don't like the business decisions of the company you are doing business with STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM and go to the competition! Otherwise all the bitching in the world will not change the end result!

See ya
Tony

Tony

I do not care for some of those Viacom channels either yet I paid for them even though I do not watch them. However, there is someone out there who watches them and cares about them. What you are proposing is a la carte model which it is not even worth discussing because it is beyond any reality of what is going on today. The way business is done today is not what you are describing. Dish is not holding the line for you or me; they are trying to squeeze as much as possible for themselves. When was the the last time, we all got a letter saying dish was going to reduce our bill by 3% this year. Instead we get now our annual letter due to price increases we are forced to increase your bill by 3%. We customers understand that and go along with. But to think Dish is holding the line for me the customer is not my thinking. This is not an attack on you either so do not take it that way.

TNGTony said:
Otherwise all the bitching in the world will not change the end result!

See ya
Tony

That's not entirely true... many businesses pay attention to their customers who bitch and complain. That's how products evolve. If everyone just switched to another company, change would be less inevitable.

It wasn't the 50's. It was up until the very early 90's. Just over a decade ago when 100 games from the "home team" were on local FREE OTA TV every year! What changed? It was the amount of money that the teams want to extract from YOUR POCKET.

They priced themselves completely out of the OTA market.

Now as to the RSNs and insisting that they be "basic channels". Again this is a relatively new concept. It is a way for the channel to force itself on people who would otherwise not want the channel or even care if it existed. The rules were chaned by the channels themselves from being what some like to call a "premium service" (I call it a la carte--those that want the channel pay for it--those that don't, don't).

But again, both these channels would be on the air on Dish right now if they did not insist on charging a per subscriber fee (or at least as much as they are demanding) and to live off of advertising.

Again, if you do not like the way Dish is handling the situation, let them know the only way they will pay attention to...DROP THEM and go with the competition.

See ya
Tony

I just got blacked out of a Yankees Oakland game so maybe yesterday was a fluke, with the Mets/Nationals. I have a credit card that gets sent to a South Dakota bill processing center, I'm going to try that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)