SportsNet New York, Now Available!

Well, all I can say is I am about the most objective person here, because I already have SNY from Cablevision. I am not some disgruntled Met fan screaming, because Dish Network is keeping Met games from me. I will not benefit one bit if they put SNY tommorrow. I will watch my Met game in HD tonight on Cablevision. I am just telling it like it is, and supporting other Met fans.

The bottom line is this. Dish Network is the only major provider in NY that does not carry SNY. Furthermore, they are the only major carrier here in NY that has not carried YES for four years. Yet, their pricing is right in line with every other provider that carries all four RSN's. Dish loves to throw out this nonsense about keeping prices down and getting a fair deal for all customers. If they were cheaper than the other providers or they gave a $ 3.75 reduction to every NY customer, because they do not carry the two RSN's I would applaud them. All the other providers got a "fair deal" and Dish has not. The bottom line is Dish is only concerned with their bottom line and maximizing profits. They make it like they are acting in the customers behalf by keeping the prices down, but they do not. They just refuse to pay these RSN's, because it would cut into their profits.

Lucky said:
Well, all I can say is I am about the most objective person here, because I already have SNY from Cablevision. I am not some disgruntled Met fan screaming, because Dish Network is keeping Met games from me. I will not benefit one bit if they put SNY tommorrow. I will watch my Met game in HD tonight on Cablevision. I am just telling it like it is, and supporting other Met fans.

The bottom line is this. Dish Network is the only major provider in NY that does not carry SNY. Furthermore, they are the only major carrier here in NY that has not carried YES for four years. Yet, their pricing is right in line with every other provider that carries all four RSN's. Dish loves to throw out this nonsense about keeping prices down and getting a fair deal for all customers. If they were cheaper than the other providers or they gave a $ 3.75 reduction to every NY customer, because they do not carry the two RSN's I would applaud them. All the other providers got a "fair deal" and Dish has not. The bottom line is Dish is only concerned with their bottom line and maximizing profits. They make it like they are acting in the customers behalf by keeping the prices down, but they do not. They just refuse to pay these RSN's, because it would cut into their profits.
Exactly -- Dish Network also pockets the same MLB EI subscription fees as all other providers, but carries fewer games. (Tonight's A's Yankees game available only on YES, for example).

That's another good point. Dish should also give a partial refund to MLB EI customers. Their MLB EI customers pay the same price as DirecTV and digital cable customers yet they carry fewer games. Dish customers get no games from YES, SNY and MASN. That is quite a few games these customers do not get compared to other MLB Extra Innings packages. They are charging the same for less games.

Lucky said:
That's another good point. Dish should also give a partial refund to MLB EI customers. Their MLB EI customers pay the same price as DirecTV and digital cable customers yet they carry fewer games. Dish customers get no games from YES, SNY and MASN. That is quite a few games these customers do not get compared to other MLB Extra Innings packages. They are charging the same for less games.
In addition to that, there's the fact that we Yankee fans have to endure the opposing team's announcers in every MLB EI game we see on Dish. Some are decent, many others are over-the-top anti-Yankee.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but I just typed in 438 on my remote (the channel that E* has assigned SNY) and it said "This program is not available for viewing in your area" Before it would just go to the next closest channel 445

Also if I go to the channel before it, FSNY 413 and hit channel down it goes to 438 and gives me the same message. Maybe it means nothing but maybe it means they are VERY CLOSE to a deal. Maybe my box is on the fritz :D

JerseyGuy said:
Also if I go to the channel before it, FSNY 413 and hit channel down it goes to 438 and gives me the same message. Maybe it means nothing but maybe it means they are VERY CLOSE to a deal. Maybe my box is on the fritz :D

Someone posted either here.. or on DBSTalk (I can't remember where) that they received an email supposedly from Ergen saying they're very close and it could be today.

They may have indeed struck a deal and are now dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Sam

What I think is happening is the next channel after 413 is 445, which is an alternate channel showing the Marlins-Astros game. So I think when you put in 438 the receiver is rounding it off to channel 445, and that is why you are seeing not available in your area.

Lucky said:
What I think is happening is the next channel after 413 is 445, which is an alternate channel showing the Marlins-Astros game. So I think when you put in 438 the receiver is rounding it off to channel 445, and that is why you are seeing not available in your area.

Easiest way to check that is lockout all the sports and the alternates except FSNY and hit 438 and see if you end up somewhere else.

Sam

I know we can all debate the SNY situation forever. In my opinion, its like this.

If we don't have SNY by this upcoming weekend, we're never going to have it. It is THAT simple.

Think about it. If they really wanted to add this, they aren't going to do this in like July around the all-star break. There won't be any reason to add this channel after THIS weekend. Anyone who really wants it will have already switched to DirecTV. It will then be a non-issue in DISH's eyes.

Lucky said:
They just refuse to pay these RSN's, because it would cut into their profits.

Imagine that! A company that wants to maximize profits! How could they?! And to market their business decisions in a positive light? What could they be thinking???! :D

But on the other hand... If there were enough customers from that area that canceled service due to these channels not being available and therefore causing a GREATER financial drain than not having the channels, the channels would be added shortly thereafter. Thus far, it looks like that has not been the case. That has been my point all along!

See ya
Tony

Scottie318 said:
I know we can all debate the SNY situation forever. In my opinion, its like this.

If we don't have SNY by this upcoming weekend, we're never going to have it. It is THAT simple.

Think about it. If they really wanted to add this, they aren't going to do this in like July around the all-star break. There won't be any reason to add this channel after THIS weekend. Anyone who really wants it will have already switched to DirecTV. It will then be a non-issue in DISH's eyes.

I agree with this completely. If it is not added in the next few days you can forget about it. It just will not pay for Dish to add it after many people have left for DirecTV or cable. I still cannot believe a major provider like this actually would even consider having no baseball in the # 1 market in the country. I guess Dish never ceases to amaze me.

What's amazing is that you guys really know that you're not getting SNY, but you're still giving deadlines like there's any hope. If they didn't give you YES, why would they give you SNY? From a non-NY resident, it doesn't make sense to give you the network of the lesser liked team than the network of, arguably, the most popular team in america, does it? Unless SNY was just giving itself away, you had no shot from the get-go and you guys seem like you know that, but just can't say it.

Having faith that lifetime would return, I understood that.
Having faith that CBS would return, I certainly understood that.
Having faith that OLN may return, I still understand that but i'm leaning...
But having faith that SNY is coming is real weak IMO. I think it's only because they added STO that anyone still thinks SNY can come, but STO is an anomaly, you shouldn't raise hope based on that channel being added...

You are from Ohio and have no idea what you are talking about. The Yankees are very, very popular but the Mets have lots and lots of fans. It is only the past 10 years when the Yankees started winning championships when they passed the Mets. The Mets will draw 3 million people to their ballpark this season. The NY/NJ/CT Metro area is a huge area and has plenty of fans to go around for everyone. The Mets have a huge fan base especially on Long Island and in Queens and Brooklyn so your theory is totally wrong. The Yankees are temporarily more popular, but the Mets have a huge fan base.

Thank you Lucky. Its funny to hear these Ohio residents telling us (NY residents) what we like here in NY. Sadly, if Dish does not make a deal by Sunday, its over. They will never have one. Dish clearly does not care about the NY market. They are giving up customers to their competition (Direct TV and cable).

I think that SNY will be on Dish. In my opinion, it would be the ultimate slap in the face to Steinbrenner and the YES Network if SNY is on Dish and not YES. It might not be today, but I think it is going to hapen.

alexgmny said:
Thank you Lucky. Its funny to hear these Ohio residents telling us (NY residents) what we like here in NY. Sadly, if Dish does not make a deal by Sunday, its over. They will never have one. Dish clearly does not care about the NY market. They are giving up customers to their competition (Direct TV and cable).

You are quite welcome. I love these Ohio fans trying to tell us that the Mets don't have their fans in NY. They are going to draw 3 million people to Shea this year. I guess people out of NY do not understand how big the Mets are and how many fans they really have. Despite what people like Juan thinks, once the Mets win another championship they will pass the Yankees again. It is cyclical in NY, the Mets were the # 1 team in NY during the 80's and early 90's and the Yankees took over when they won their champioships in the later 90's. The Mets always have been and always will be huge in NY. Especially now that they have a better team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)