SportsNet New York, Now Available!

Personally, I think if something was going to be worked out, it would've been done yesterday.

What else could they possibly be negotiating about?

I'm sure they are aware of what the deals were with all the cable companies, and most importantly, DirecTV.

It's a shame, because I would've loved to see Billy Wagner blow the game last night in the 9th inning! Glad you took the money and ran buddy! :D

Lucky said:
You are quite welcome. I love these Ohio fans trying to tell us that the Mets don't have their fans in NY. They are going to draw 3 million people to Shea this year. I guess people out of NY do not understand how big the Mets are and how many fans they really have. Despite what people like Juan thinks, once the Mets win another championship they will pass the Yankees again. It is cyclical in NY, the Mets were the # 1 team in NY during the 80's and early 90's and the Yankees took over when they won their champioships in the later 90's. The Mets always have been and always will be huge in NY. Especially now that they have a better team.

I have seen attandance stats for both teams during the years you mentioned, and you are way-off. As soon as I find it again, I will post it. Also, no team draws more on the road then the Yankees. At home, the Yankees will break the 4mil mark....again.
The Mets supposedly have a better team then the Yanks every year, but .....
If excuses equated to wins, the Mets would never lose.

-SNT

SNT said:
I have seen attandance stats for both teams during the years you mentioned, and you are way-off. As soon as I find it again, I will post it. Also, no team draws more on the road then the Yankees. At home, the Yankees will break the 4mil mark....again.
The Mets supposedly have a better team then the Yanks every year, but .....
If excuses equated to wins, the Mets would never lose.

-SNT

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You do not have the facts. The reason the Mets attendance was lower in the 80's and 90's than it really is was because during those years the National announced actual attendance. In other words, people actually in the ball park. During those same years the American league announced tickets sold. The past 10 years or so both now announced tickets sold. So the Mets attendance was much, much higher during the years you are talking about. I will admit the Yankees are more popular now, but that will change once the Mets win again and the Yankees do not. It is cyclical in NY, and that his how it works. It always has. NY for years was considered a National League city. That was because a lot of people here are descendants of Dodger and Giants fans families. Remember, NY always had two National League teams and one American League team. It is only during the past 10 years when the Yankees have won championships when the Mets have been mostly horrible that the Yankees took over the town.

Lucky said:
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You do not have the facts. The reason the Mets attendance was lower in the 80's and 90's than it really is was because during those years the National announced actual attendance. In other words, people actually in the ball park. During those same years the American league announced tickets sold. The past 10 years or so both now announced tickets sold. So the Mets attendance was much, much higher during the years you are talking about. I will admit the Yankees are more popular now, but that will change once the Mets win again and the Yankees do not. It is cyclical in NY, and that his how it works. It always has. NY for years was considered a National League city. That was because a lot of people here are descendants of Dodger and Giants fans families. Remember, NY always had two National League teams and one American League team. It is only during the past 10 years when the Yankees have won championships when the Mets have been mostly horrible that the Yankees took over the town.

You actual admit that what I said was true about the attendance without even posting the facts yet, but you also say that I don't have a clue what I am talking about and that I do not have the facts. Typical bitter confused Mets fan. Remember my statement about excuses?

-SNT

SNT said:
You actual admit that what I said was true about the attendance without even posting the facts yet, but you also say that I don't have a clue what I am talking about and that I do not have the facts. Typical bitter confused Mets fan. Remember my statement about excuses?

-SNT

If you want to debate this fine, but I am telling you that you are debating the wrong guy. I am a 20 year Mets season ticket holder and I lived through the whole thing. I don't know how old you are, but there is no way you can tell me that the Yankees were more popular than the Mets during the late 80's and early 90's. No way you can use the attendance as an indicator. As I mentioned the National League announced actual attendance vs. tickets sold in the American League. I also bet you don't know that the Upper Deck seats were being replaced two sections at a time during the Mets championship year of 1986. The seating capacity of Shea Stadium was only 48,000 a game during 1986 instead of 54,000. So you cannot compare the attendance of the two back then. Believe me, the Mets owned the city in those years, and they will once they win a championship again.

Lucky said:
If you want to debate this fine, but I am telling you that you are debating the wrong guy. I am a 20 year Mets season ticket holder and I lived through the whole thing. I don't know how old you are, but there is no way you can tell me that the Yankees were more popular than the Mets during the late 80's and early 90's. No way you can use the attendance as an indicator. As I mentioned the National League announced actual attendance vs. tickets sold in the American League. I also bet you don't know that the Upper Deck seats were being replaced two sections at a time during the Mets championship year of 1986. The seating capacity of Shea Stadium was only 48,000 a game during 1986 instead of 54,000. So you cannot compare the attendance of the two back then. Believe me, the Mets owned the city in those years, and they will once they win a championship again.
I am not debating the wrong guy, you are the one posting. The ONLY indicator is attendance, anything else is just hearse, nothing to back it up.
I lived in NY for over 30 years. I know first hand about baseball in that town during that time. I know about Shea's problems, probably much better then a person who was 6 at the time.
I have come to terms with Mets fans making more of their team then what they really are. That's fine, but to spew the nonsense as fact, it's just silly. Like saying that Mets have a better team. I am not sure how you came up with that, but I guess we will see come October. Too bad though as E* subs, we won't be able see it.
-SNT

I'd love to see the sub numbers in the NYC area for DirecTV and Dish, and also see who new DBS subscribers are signing up with. Though only a few come on here to complain, I have to believe that DirecTV has been killing Dish ever since the YES debacle. This will only get worse for Dish if SNY is not added to the channel lineup. Dish's only advantage may be for international subs and low-margin customers signing up for AT60 and the Family Pack.

Of course, these types of numbers are never released to the public ... :(

Single game average attendance of a NY Mets Game in 2005 -- roughly 36,000
Single game average attendance of a NY Yankees Game in 2005 -- roughly 50,000

Population of NYC - est. 8,000,000 (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)

Even if another 1,000,000 people in the surrounding areas are watching YES and SNY that leaves another, let's just say, 6.5 million in population that could care less about the Yankees or Mets. If only half of those are potential subscribers to a pay TV service, there are probably 3 milllion who would most likely prefer to pay less than have Charlie Ergen and his company pay extra for two baseball networks.

12% of a population(and i feel i'm being generous by giving you 1,000,000 TV viewers) isn't really that big of a group. Especially if you diminish it by adding the remainder of a NATION.

Chrisc490 said:
Single game average attendance of a NY Mets Game in 2005 -- roughly 36,000
Single game average attendance of a NY Yankees Game in 2005 -- roughly 50,000

Population of NYC - est. 8,000,000 (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html)

Even if another 1,000,000 people in the surrounding areas are watching YES and SNY that leaves another, let's just say, 6.5 million in population that could care less about the Yankees or Mets. If only half of those are potential subscribers to a pay TV service, there are probably 3 milllion who would most likely prefer to pay less than have Charlie Ergen and his company pay extra for two baseball networks.

12% of a population(and i feel i'm being generous by giving you 1,000,000 TV viewers) isn't really that big of a group. Especially if you diminish it by adding the remainder of a NATION.

There are probably more than 1,000,000 TV's with one of those games on with an average of probably more than 2 viewers. That's a significant number. I don't think that many have true understanding of the baseball market in NY. Dish certainly doesn't.

-SNT

jrbdmb said:
I'd love to see the sub numbers in the NYC area for DirecTV and Dish, and also see who new DBS subscribers are signing up with. Though only a few come on here to complain, I have to believe that DirecTV has been killing Dish ever since the YES debacle. This will only get worse for Dish if SNY is not added to the channel lineup. Dish's only advantage may be for international subs and low-margin customers signing up for AT60 and the Family Pack.

Of course, these types of numbers are never released to the public ... :(

I was thinking the same thing, as I was recalling what was said about YES four years ago. I seem to recall it being reported that YES was trying to get Dish to pay based on their entire nationwide subscriber base even though only a small percentage would actually have access to the channel. Is that going on here as well?

Don't leave out the thousands+ out of the NY market that will not be getting MLB EI due to the fact that they would get less then half of the regular season Yankee games because of no YES. I know that I will not be subscribing.
I am sure it will be similar with SNY.

SNT said:
Don't leave out the thousands+ out of the NY market that will not be getting MLB EI due to the fact that they would get less then half of the regular season Yankee games because of no YES. I know that I will not be subscribing.
I am sure it will be similar with SNY.

BUZZZZZZZZZ!.. Joy in Met town. Channel now live on E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts