SportsNet New York, Now Available!

Many have done so including me. I dropped the entire package with Dish and remained with only the HD channels and went to another provider because of the YES fiasco. That is just the way it is. I have no loyalty to any provider. My only loyalty is to what I like to watch and whomever has that got my money. Now I have cable, directv and dish (partially) and I am planning on dropping directv because of their mediocry HD 1080i channels. For me it is all a shift of the budget I have for my entertainment. I understand that not everyone is like me and some maybe more comfortable with certain providers or for whatever reason.

Regarding the RSNs... They are here to stay Tony. They are not going to go away. That's the way it is and believe me you nor I cannot blame them for making money in a capitalist country. The days of "Sports" on Free TV are gone. Everyone needs to pay now and that just the way it is. No one is going to stop that and the RSN have done nothing wrong. It is a simple rule of deman and supply. They are there because there is a demand otherwise it would not be there.

TNGTony said:
Attack me all you will. The point is still valid. If the Yanks and the Mets weren't trying to extract every nickel they can from you (US) they would be on the air right now on MSG or Fox Sports or even WWOR or WPIX! Remember when most of the games were on OTA channels? FREE?

So again we come down to those that want this channel are willing to get it only as long as everyone has to buy it if they want a basic package. Again it's "just amother 3 or 4 bucks." and again when the next price increase comes down the pike everyone is screaming about the greedy cable/satellite company. God forbid an expensive channel like YES or SNY (3-10 times more expensive than most channes) be sold ONLY to those that want it.

As to my personal tastes...Yes I can see the Reds on Fox Sports Ohio. No they did not form their own network to extract more cash. If they had and Dish didn't carry them, I would say GOOD FOR DISH!!! I am taking the year off from the Reds anyway. Supporting one sucky team at a time in this city is my limit. Talk to me again next year.

please do not equate disgreement with an attack..no one is attacking you..You made good points and were on target until you wrote that " no they did not form their own network to extarct more cash"...Thta's where you are wrong. These netwrorks are formed to give the teams more control over their product..It's called a business decision..Teams are also trying to protect their season ticket holders..That may seem incredulous to you. But IMO this is all a pre cursor to pay per view sports..That would suit me fine..Becuause I view PPV sports as the ultimate consumer friendly path to choice..
If E* does not add SNY so what...They will lose whatever subs thare Mets fans..E* won't suffer much..If they did they would re think their decision.....Mets fans in NY ,NJ and CT if you want the Amazins' on TV go elsewhere..I am....

Sean Mota said:
The days of "Sports" on Free TV are gone. Everyone needs to pay now and that just the way it is.

So why must "everyone" pay? Why not have "everyone that want to see the programming" pay instead? The market is getting to the point that it will not support the current model. It will be very soon that cable companies, FiOS and other MSOs just will not be able to afford to absorb the costs and subscribers will no longer tollerate the continuing increases. The current clammor for a la carte is the beginning of the end. Dish is just on the vanguard.

No one is going to stop that and the RSN have done nothing wrong. It is a simple rule of deman and supply. They are there because there is a demand otherwise it would not be there.

The thing is that they are beginning to find that the demand is not as strong as they thought. There are a few people that will not stop with the whining about the lack of a particular sports channel, but it is just a few. To read this thread or a thread about YES, you'd think that not one single soul in NY/NJ and CT does business with Dish. The reality is that Dish has a good thing going. They could have more customers if they carried these channels, but the numbers work out that they make more money NOT having these channels than if they did. That too is capitalism and Dish isn't doing anything wrong either.

Which brings me full circle. This is a business decision. Those that don't agree should move on.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Is there any official statement from Dish yet that they are not going to carry this RSN? How long can they string us along? If it’s not going to happen, for whatever reason, they should just tell us!

ccash said:
Is there any official statement from Dish yet that they are not going to carry this RSN? How long can they string us along? If it’s not going to happen, for whatever reason, they should just tell us!
DN will not tell subs anyhting probabaly due to the fact they are intersted in customer retention..I imagine they would like to prevent the exodus...
AT this point If I were in the area in question I would have switched by now..that is knowing E*'s track record of being a 'refusenik" about adding channels..
Gte outnow!..Those of you wiht commitments?..Ugh!.....i would probably bail as well and let E* sue me for the chargeback...Could take years for E* to get their $$

Being the big Mets fan that I am I would be gone already if I didn't have Cablevision to go with Dish Network. I would urge every Met fan to either get cable or DirecTV and get rid of Dish.

TNGTony said:
So why must "everyone" pay? Why not have "everyone that want to see the programming" pay instead?

Because that model does not work in this day in age. Accept it that is the way it is. If you Tony start a Network today, you will try to maximize your revenue and try to stay with the competition. I'd be that you will not be nice to put your own network on a "a la carte" basis. The model you are proposing no one will survive under because it is not so much the money that the subscribers pay that makes the network survive the competition but the top advertising dollars that they get by maximizing their subscribership. In a market like NY which already has four RSN, SNY or YES or MSG or FSNY will not go with a la carte and cut their own throat. The model you are proposing no Network will use this day. It is history and will not be done by anybody with a sane business mind.

TNGTony said:
The market is getting to the point that it will not support the current model. It will be very soon that cable companies, FiOS and other MSOs just will not be able to afford to absorb the costs and subscribers will no longer tollerate the continuing increases. The current clammor for a la carte is the beginning of the end. Dish is just on the vanguard.

There is no evidence that this is happening. As we have seen over the years that everytime there is a contract renewal with any network, there is always an increase and so this increase is passed on to customers yearly by Dish Network, DirecTV or the Cable company. No one here is innocent but the model will not collapse until customers are not willing to pay for it. That is the demand for it goes down the drain. If that happens there will be a decrease in subscribership but that is not the case, as the vast majority of americans are paying for their cable or satellite bills these days. Every year, the subscribership goes up and it does not go down. When we see subscribership decline, it could hint that customers are getting fed up with the high bills but yet that is not the case. We maybe angry about the bill going up every year but yet every year we find a way to pay it.

TNGTony said:
The thing is that they are beginning to find that the demand is not as strong as they thought. There are a few people that will not stop with the whining about the lack of a particular sports channel, but it is just a few. To read this thread or a thread about YES, you'd think that not one single soul in NY/NJ and CT does business with Dish. The reality is that Dish has a good thing going. They could have more customers if they carried these channels, but the numbers work out that they make more money NOT having these channels than if they did. That too is capitalism and Dish isn't doing anything wrong either.

I agree with you on this one. Dish has its own model which may not agree with people in NY area who are baseball fans. Those baseball fans just feel frustrated about the lack of interest of dish supplying the demand. There is a demand for YES and SNY but Dish does not want to comply. Nothing wrong there. Every customer who is a Dish customer and feels that he/she cannot live without YES or SNY or both, should start looking elsewhere since there are choices like DirecTv or Cable or FIOS (in some areas).

The one thing that I do not agree with you is that I do not believe Dish is holding the line because they want to maintain reasonable prices for their customers. Dish is in the business of making money and they will squeeze the programmer for every penny because it is in the best interest to do so. There is no correlation between dish "holding the line" and then having lower prices for customers. In the past 4-5 years, there has not been a decrease in the dish satellite bill. Every year the bill has go up. Which makes me to believe that dish is profiting in two front: 1- By "holding the line" they are getting better rates than the competition and 2 - by continually increasing the bills annually they are either getting more money from the customer. (1) and (2) are two possible scenario that do not exclude the possibility that Dish may compensate for some negotiations that do not go well with the programmers. At the end of the day, Dish makes money no matter what they do because this is their business to make money. They are not in the business of looking after their customers, they are in the business of making money -- the bottom line.

Received this response to my email this morning to Chuck.:

“still negotiating. will let you know one way or the other. i would imagine today is the day”

Hopefully we will know today

Please guys keep us updated about the possible agreement, I'm gonna call DirecTv tomorrow if nothing happens with Dish.

Lucky said:
Looks like Dish customers are out of luck on SNY. From today's NY Post :

SNY STEPS UP TO PLATE
By PHIL MUSHNICK

SPORTSNET New York, the new Mets network, will debut Thursday with a spring training game and a fabulous opportunity.

Among the three local sports networks that are at least partially owned by the owners of the teams they televise, SNY could establish itself as the go-to channel, the one New York fans rely upon because they know they won't be treated like dopes.

After all, the two pre-existing proprietary channels, MSG and YES, exist primarily to serve both the wallets and sensitivities of their owners.

MSG Network, under the likes of Bob Gutkowski and Mike McCarthy, once was the envy of every regional sports network. Paradise lost. Under the Dolan/Cablevision yoke, MSG has become the kind of propaganda mill that reflects the Dolans' low regard for subscribers, sports fans and obvious truths.

Consider that MSG recently took the biggest Knicks story of the year - the lawsuit against Isiah Thomas - and ordered it totally ignored. MSG viewers are supposed to be too stupid to know any better. Trouble is, they're too familiar with Dolan/Cablevision to expect any better.

Consider that Jim Dolan's idea of a bad team broadcaster is Marv Albert. His idea of a good one is Fran Healy.

Consider that the YES Network blew its chance to replace MSG as the new ol' reliable, because programming either must meet with George Steinbrenner's approval or keep him from registering his disapproval.

From Day 1, YES had Steinbrenner/Yankee shill and clownish self-promoter John Sterling forced upon it (and us) as the voice of YES.

Consider that last spring, although the Yanks were in Fenway and YES owned the New York rights to the game, YES, on behalf of Steinbrenner's sensitivities, ignored the Red Sox World Series ring ceremony - an event known to occur once every 86 years.

The sorriest thing we can write about many people at MSG and YES is that we feel sorry for them, sorry they must pay a professional price because their network's owners simply don't get it. The owners don't understand that treating a viewer with respect for his/her intelligence is a good reflection on that viewer - but an even better one on themselves.

And so it's all there for the taking. SNY has the opportunity to become known as the one local sports network in three that treats folks right, as if they know good from bad and a knockout from a dive.

Jon Litner, SNY's president, and Curt Gowdy, Jr., the ABC Sports vet who is SNY's executive producer, insist the Mets, Comcast and Time-Warner - SNY's ownership - have not only granted them permission to present unfettered, do-the-right-thing TV, but prefer that to transparent cheerleading and burying word of Yankees winning streaks.

Litner and Gowdy say they recognize on what, other than Met games, SNY can build its reputation. They say that everyone who counts is of a like mind. They also know that unless they can back it up, starting Thursday, such talk is cheap.

SNY remains very close to a finished deal with Cablevision and several smaller systems. SNY claims it fully expects to be cleared on all of them, at the latest by Opening Day. As for satellite, DirecTV is a lot closer to a done deal than Dish.
NY post is owned by Rupert Murdoch

Look at it like this guys, Time Warner, Cablevision and DirecTV all not only have the channel, but they are showing the games in HD, so if you switch from Dish Network you also get the games in HD. Even Dish got SNY, I am sure you would only get the crappy SD version, so switching to one of the above also gives you Met games in HD. I would not bother waiting for Dish. It is hopeless.

Lucky said:
Look at it like this guys, Time Warner, Cablevision and DirecTV all not only have the channel, but they are showing the games in HD, so if you switch from Dish Network you also get the games in HD. Even Dish got SNY, I am sure you would only get the crappy SD version, so switching to one of the above also gives you Met games in HD. I would not bother waiting for Dish. It is hopeless.
If you dont mind..please keep your completely uninformed opinions about SNY and E* to yourself.. Those of us who subscribe to e* realize that Charlie is only trying to get the besty possible deal.. D* didnt have a deal by opening day so why did you expect E* too.. If the mets want to be on e* imsure a deal will be worked out

The thing that ticks me off about DISH is that they decide which RSNs I qualify for, they do not go by the "claimed areas" like DirectTV does.

I live in Eastern Connecticut. My zip code is claimed by the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox. Because of this fact, these games are always blacked out when they appear on ESPN or if I get EI. However, Dish only allows me to get NESN and FSNE. Last year, when the Mets were on MSG and FSNY, I was not able to get the games because Dish did not allow me those channels, yet still I had to suffer the blackout restriction.

So, to get the Mets, I got a DirectTV setup and I was able to get FSNY and MSG. Why Dish could not offer me these channels is beyond me.

That's what annoys me about Dish. Even if they decide to carry SNNY, I STILL would not be able to get it on Dish, because they decided that I am a Boston fan only.

To me, that really sucks......................................

juan said:
If you dont mind..please keep your completely uninformed opinions about SNY and E* to yourself.. Those of us who subscribe to e* realize that Charlie is only trying to get the besty possible deal.. D* didnt have a deal by opening day so why did you expect E* too.. If the mets want to be on e* imsure a deal will be worked out

What kind of remark is that ? What do you mean uninformed ? I resent that remark. My comments are completely the truth. Juan, sometimes I think you are a Dish Network employee. You seem to be the only one here supporting them on this subject.

Lucky said:
What kind of remark is that ? What do you mean uninformed ? I resent that remark. My comments are completely the truth. Juan, sometimes I think you are a Dish Network employee. You seem to be the only one here supporting them on this subject.
because you only look for "negative" news and overlook the truth

It has been widely assumed Dish will be a no-go because it has tried to hold the line on programming costs and never has carried the Yankees' 4-year-old YES Network.

An industry source insisted, though, that Dish is not necessarily a lost cause. Talks are ongoing and both sides are interested in trying to strike a deal.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmjust044689562apr04,0,5156759.column?page=2

And if SNY and YES are lost causes on Dish, it's probably because satellite TV isn't as attractive to viewers in the densly populated Northeast corridor as cable or FIOS. I'd guess that the market penetration for satellite is much lower in the NYC area than it is in the South, West, Midwest or anywhere else.

I'm sure some MBA in Colorado has run the numbers, and he has a break even point where the cost of adding an RSN outweighs the cost of losing ### subs in that area, and where the expense of adding an RSN won't increase the number of subs to the point where it's profitable.

Your opinion. That means nothing. If I was a Mets fan without SNY I would never wait around waiting for Dish to act. That could take months or never. The only reason I have not moved yet is because I have the channel on Cablevision. And if they are so interested in making a deal, how come no deal yet ? When are they going to get one in time for the all-star break ?

Lucky said:
Your opinion. That means nothing. If I was a Mets fan without SNY I would never wait around waiting for Dish to act. That could take months or never. The only reason I have not moved yet is because I have the channel on Cablevision. And if they are so interested in making a deal, how come no deal yet ? When are they going to get one in time for the all-star break ?
Actually that was a quote from NEWSDAY.. not that Murdoch controlled rag The NYPOST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)