SportsNet New York, Now Available!

No announced deal for Cablevision yet, but here is an article from Newsday stating that they will have one.

Mets close to TV deal

BY NEIL BEST
STAFF WRITER

SportsNet New York and Cablevision have reached a tentative agreement for
the cable giant to carry the Mets' new regional sports network, a person
familiar with the negotiations said last night.

No contract has been signed, and it is not clear precisely when one will be,
but it appears almost certain that when SNY launches March 16, Cablevision's
3 million customers, most of them on Long Island, will have access to the
channel.

The March 16 fare will feature a Mets-Braves spring training game. Opening
Day is April 3.

It had been believed that SNY was closer to a deal with DirecTV than with
Cablevision, but in recent days, it became increasingly evident that there
would be nothing like the 2002 battle between Cablevision and YES that kept
the Yankees off Cablevision for an entire season.

YES set a precedent by getting placed on expanded basic cable in 2003. Three
years later, SNY and Cablevision primarily were left to haggle over money
rather than any fundamental issues.

SNY is partly owned by Comcast and Time Warner, so it immediately could
count on distribution from those outlets. Cablevision, which until last year
showed the Mets on its MSG and FSNY channels, would have risked alienating
the many Mets fans in its market if it did not carry SNY from the start.

DirecTV most likely will fall into place once the Cablevision agreement is
finalized. Customers of the other major satellite service, Dish Network,
might have a longer wait.

There now will be four regional sports networks in Cablevision's expanded
basic package - YES, SNY, MSG and FSNY.
Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

They should drop MSG and Fox Sports NY if they can't afford it, but they won't due to long term carriage deals.

What's left on MSG/FSNY? Knicks (yawn), Islanders (yawn) and maybe the Devils (who knows... I could care less until the playoffs start)

Lucky said:
That's a great point. Everyone talks about how Dish has to keep their rates down, and not get these RSN's because they would have to raise rates. Well, last I looked Dish has basically the same rates as every other provider give a take a little and they do not have all the RSN's. The other cable/satellite companies have basically same rates as Dish yet they carry all the RSN's. Someone please explain that to me ?

Bottom line is that Charlie is cheap. However he doesn’t seem to have had problem picking up the brand new rsn for Denver (wonder why ;) ) but when it comes to NY...its too expensive for him. NY area subs should drop dish and go to DTV. Dish Network needs to take a big hit in the NY area; only then will Charlie make more of an effort to pick these NY RSNs up…

Its bad enough they don't have YES (5 years now can you believe it :eek: ) but now they won't even pick up SNY. I laugh when I hear Dish Network commercials on the radio; especially on the station where the Mets games are broadcasted... Do they actually think any sports fan in NY will subscribe to Dish Network...?

PS: I know DTV doesn’t have SNY yet but I believe they will get it soon…way before cheap ole Charlie does…

fresco said:
Bottom line is that Charlie is cheap. However he doesn’t seem to have had problem picking up the brand new rsn for Denver (wonder why ;) ) but when it comes to NY...its too expensive for him. NY area subs should drop dish and go to DTV. Dish Network needs to take a big hit in the NY area; only then will Charlie make more of an effort to pick these NY RSNs up…

Its bad enough they don't have YES (5 years now can you believe it :eek: ) but now they won't even pick up SNY. I laugh when I hear Dish Network commercials on the radio; especially on the station where the Mets games are broadcasted... Do they actually think any sports fan in NY will subscribe to Dish Network...?

PS: I know DTV doesn’t have SNY yet but I believe they will get it soon…way before cheap ole Charlie does…

I just switched to D* from Dish because of the YES network and also SNY but Directv doesn't have a deal yet eitherfor SNY. i just got off the phone with SNY. Maybee no satellite provider will carry channel.

The chances of Directv carrying this channel are a lot better than Dish Network. While I really have nothing against Dish, since I believe that they have a good product, good HD offerings etc. I cannot live with only the Knicks/Rangers/Devils and Islanders. So until they get YES and SNY, I won't subscribe to their services.

I really think Dish is going to learn a lesson the hard way. New York is not the city to fooling around with no baseball. It is a huge, huge baseball city. They will lose almost all the sports fans in NY if they do not have the Mets or Yankees on. They need at least one of them if not both.

Anthony2 said:
Three days to go before SNY goes on the air.

Could Dish subscribers in the New York area be in a situation where we get no local coverage of our beloved MLB teams (take your pick: Yankee - YES and Met - SNY) :eek:

Will the Charlie Chat reveal some answers :(

Will the cost of attending a baseball game with a family of four ever come in at under $200 :mad:

Are there alternatives to Dish :rolleyes:

If the pattern with YES and the new Indians tv channel is any indictaion, my guess is that NY Mets fans are SOL with DISH.....

only this time, it will cost DISH dearly..They will lose many subs in the NY market..I wonder if losing a major part of their presence int he USA's largest market is worth digging in their heels...Stay tuned

Lucky said:
No announced deal for Cablevision yet, but here is an article from Newsday stating that they will have one.

Mets close to TV deal

BY NEIL BEST
STAFF WRITER

SportsNet New York and Cablevision have reached a tentative agreement for
the cable giant to carry the Mets' new regional sports network, a person
familiar with the negotiations said last night.

No contract has been signed, and it is not clear precisely when one will be,
but it appears almost certain that when SNY launches March 16, Cablevision's
3 million customers, most of them on Long Island, will have access to the
channel.

The March 16 fare will feature a Mets-Braves spring training game. Opening
Day is April 3.

It had been believed that SNY was closer to a deal with DirecTV than with
Cablevision, but in recent days, it became increasingly evident that there
would be nothing like the 2002 battle between Cablevision and YES that kept
the Yankees off Cablevision for an entire season.

YES set a precedent by getting placed on expanded basic cable in 2003. Three
years later, SNY and Cablevision primarily were left to haggle over money
rather than any fundamental issues.

SNY is partly owned by Comcast and Time Warner, so it immediately could
count on distribution from those outlets. Cablevision, which until last year
showed the Mets on its MSG and FSNY channels, would have risked alienating
the many Mets fans in its market if it did not carry SNY from the start.

DirecTV most likely will fall into place once the Cablevision agreement is
finalized. Customers of the other major satellite service, Dish Network,
might have a longer wait.

There now will be four regional sports networks in Cablevision's expanded
basic package - YES, SNY, MSG and FSNY.
Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

AH yes Comcast...The satellite anti Christ...this cable company has gone to war vs satellite..For about a decade or longer Comcast has successfully kept Phila sports teams off satellite..They bought the former Sportschannel Phila and Sat subs got screwed..In fact the phila sports teams games do not get picked up by the respective sports packages unless they are shown form the other teams market....
Comcast owns the DC area RSN as well as the Chicago RSN..But as of now those are still on the dish....
The situation in NY ans Cle are a little different..That is just DISH beiong obstinate....But here's the rub, as long as DISH thinks they aren't losing out on too much revenue they won't add those sports services...JMO....
BTW I'm a huge Mets fan..I am somewhat forutunate to live outside the NY market so this catfight does not affect me..I will just get the MLB Extra innings package...

dishcomm said:
BTW I'm a huge Mets fan..I am somewhat forutunate to live outside the NY market so this catfight does not affect me..I will just get the MLB Extra innings package...

I'm a big Mets fan also... the problem with not having SNY on Dish is when the Mets play the Phillies, the Nationals, the Padres, we won't see any games.

pdxsam said:
I'm a big Mets fan also... the problem with not having SNY on Dish is when the Mets play the Phillies, the Nationals, the Padres, we won't see any games.
It sez you live on OR....Just get the MLB pack....That's what I will do...The absence of SNY will not affect the MLB Package..Since you are outside the NY market the games will be available on MLB Extra Innings..

dishcomm said:
It sez you live on OR....Just get the MLB pack....That's what I will do...The absence of SNY will not affect the MLB Package..Since you are outside the NY market the games will be available on MLB Extra Innings..

I do have MLB EI

San Diego is a cable only sports RSN so if SNY isn't on Dish there's no way to see them when they play San Diego.

The Phillies... same

The Nationals are on an RSN also not carried by Dish... I don't know if it's also a cable only RSN but when they play the Nats... same.

and WPIX was reduced games to 25 from 50 this season so less there.Fortunately I also have distant nets so I can see the NY Fox games but it's still going to be a bunch less on EI.

Sam

Here are the rumors from Metsblog.com

* DirecTV will be set up with SNY in time for regular season games, but not spring training…
* Cablevision is telling its employees that SNY will air as long as open talks continue between both sides. However, while some Cablevision customer service reps are relaying this to their customers, others seem to have no idea what SNY is…

Also noted Comcast (who owns part of SNY) won't even be giving it to everyone in the SNY territory. In CT, Only Comcast Danbury and Comcast New Haven systems will carry SNY.

No word on Dish.

--------------------
Interestingly, I heard a radio commerical for SportsNet NY. Why do you need a commerical? I'm sure that people are smart enough to figure out what channel their team is on. But SNY, wants people to think, Hmm..do I have that channel? If the answer is NO, they want people to call their provider so that they can get more money for the network.

I live in Danbury,CT...left Dish Network in 02 because no YES! Returned to Dish in Jan., now no Mets or Yankee games! However I do have basic cable from comcast so I can get them in analog but I have to increase my package $30 during baseball season. DON'T SEE WHY DISH DOESN'T JUST OFFER ALL 4 NYC RSN AT A HIGHER RATE!? HE'S TOO CHEAP. IF I SUBSCRIBE TO ML EXTRA INNINGS WOULD I GET YANKEE/METS GAMES? OR WOULD THEY BE BLACKED OUT?

pdxsam said:
I do have MLB EI

San Diego is a cable only sports RSN so if SNY isn't on Dish there's no way to see them when they play San Diego.

The Phillies... same

The Nationals are on an RSN also not carried by Dish... I don't know if it's also a cable only RSN but when they play the Nats... same.

and WPIX was reduced games to 25 from 50 this season so less there.Fortunately I also have distant nets so I can see the NY Fox games but it's still going to be a bunch less on EI.

Sam
I disagree.....The fact that the host market is cableonly is the isue...The various sports packages have broadcast rights to the games outside of the local markets except when networks or ESPN has exclusivity....For example, if the visiting team is not braodcasting the game back to their home market the home team must provide a broadcast of the game for the Sports Package and the News media...The Sports Package just picks up the same feed that services such as ESPN use toy put together their highlight packages.....Just becuase an RSN (Comcast Sports Philly) isn't available to satellite custs,doesn't mean it isn't availbale to everyone....Also, it is immaterial if Dish subs can't get YES or SNY etdc..those channels are still braodcast via satellite..Unless MLB, HL and NBA aere inertersted in NOT selling their respective sports packs, they wil get the games on them..Now, if you live in a market that where your team is not on Satellite, you won't get that game on the package. You would be blacked out anyway....
You would not get the game on SNY either because only viewers in the NY market get those games....SO if the Mets are in SD and the Padres are cable only, you couldn't get the game on SNY anyway....To put it simply, the sports packs deliver out of market games only.....

dfecarter said:
I live in Danbury,CT...left Dish Network in 02 because no YES! Returned to Dish in Jan., now no Mets or Yankee games! However I do have basic cable from comcast so I can get them in analog but I have to increase my package $30 during baseball season. DON'T SEE WHY DISH DOESN'T JUST OFFER ALL 4 NYC RSN AT A HIGHER RATE!? HE'S TOO CHEAP. IF I SUBSCRIBE TO ML EXTRA INNINGS WOULD I GET YANKEE/METS GAMES? OR WOULD THEY BE BLACKED OUT?
Sez in a post here that SNY wil be available to you on Comcast Danbury...
Mets games will be blacked out on MLB EI in the NY markets....That includes all of eatern NYState, Northern NJ..Southern and western CT and Long Island.....

dishcomm said:
.To put it simply, the sports packs deliver out of market games only.....

Since the Yankees started YES there has not been a YES produced and aired game on MLB EI when the Yankees are the home team.

I understand where you are thinking... and I hope you are correct. However predecence has shown that if the RSN is not on Dish, then Dish doesn't show the game.

Again, as I said I hope you are correct.

Sam

map_affiliates.gif

This is the area that SNY would be blacked out for MLB EI

dishcomm said:
Sez in a post here that SNY wil be available to you on Comcast Danbury...
Mets games will be blacked out on MLB EI in the NY markets....That includes all of eatern NYState, Northern NJ..Southern and western CT and Long Island.....
Actually the Mets and Yanks claim all of New York State and all of Connecticut. See map above.

From what I am reading this morning from a variety of sources, DirecTV will have the channel by opening day. For Dish Network it looks very bleak. They probably will not carry SNY.

pdxsam said:
Since the Yankees started YES there has not been a YES produced and aired game on MLB EI when the Yankees are the home team.

I understand where you are thinking... and I hope you are correct. However predecence has shown that if the RSN is not on Dish, then Dish doesn't show the game.

Again, as I said I hope you are correct.

Sam

That is very correct. If you live within the NY Area and YES is your RSN and you are on Dish Network do not expect to get Yankees games via MLB EI. This applies for both HOME or AWAY games where YES has the exclusive right to televise. You will simply not be able to watch those games they will be black out because you are supposed to watch them through your regional RSN which it is not available to Dish Network. The same applies to the SNY. SNY will available on Cablevision & Comcast. As it was publicly announced on the Radio WFAN that there is already a contract with these two cable operators. According to the same announcement DirecTv is still in negotiation and it did not have a contract in place but it is expected to have a contract in place very soon. As to Dish Network bad luck for anyone in SNY territory and expect Dish Network to carry this channel anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)