Sprint adding $10 fee to all smart phones afterJan 30, 2011

As I read it, those that already have a 4G capable phone is NOT being effected as they already pay the extra $ 10 p/m ...

If I were upgrading to a 4G phone I'd expect to pay the $10. Just about every sprint phone is 3G now. At least the ones I like. When my contract ends in April, if they don't wave the $10 fee per phone, I'm gone, i'm not paying a extra $40 on top of what they charge already.

stogie5150 said:
Well it didn't even take a year....Sprint's done gone and pissed me off. It took Verizon 11 years. Sprint has done it in less than one. First the BS Evo Tax, and now 10 bucks for ALL new smartphones? Sorry, I ain't buying that. My wife, who uses less data than I do, pays the same 10 buck fee when she gets a new BB, as I do with my Evo? Horsehockey! If I wanted to pay more, I woulda stayed with Verizon and had better devices and faster data speeds.

A month ago, everyone was talking how Sprint was cheaper on their package prices than others for everything ($69 everything pack) that all others were more by a lot .... now they adjust by $10 and everyone is pissed ?
I did not like the fact that I needed to pay the extra 10 when I got my Epic, I adjusted, I was pisssed about it as I'm not in a 4g area, but I still decided to get it ...
Why did you go to Sprint in the first place ?
Because you were pissed at Verizon about something, now take a look and see if your cost with the extra money if its not STILL cheaper ...

A month ago, everyone was talking how Sprint was cheaper on their package prices than others for everything ($69 everything pack) that all others were more by a lot .... now they adjust by $10 and everyone is pissed ?
I did not like the fact that I needed to pay the extra 10 when I got my Epic, I adjusted, I was pisssed about it as I'm not in a 4g area, but I still decided to get it ...
Because you were pissed at Verizon about something, now take a look and see if your cost with the extra money if its not STILL cheaper ...

Because I was paying 109.00 for three lines with 700 minutes talk and text with VZW, and with Sprint's ERRP ( new SERO) I paid 109.00 for 1600 minutes WITH data for all three phones. Sprint's VOICE is pretty solid here. DATA, OTOH, is something else entirely.

In April,2010, when contemplating this decision, ( After all I had been with Verizon since 1999....) ,all information available pointed to Sprint NOT charging extra for 4g, according to Dan Hesse, at CES or one of those electronics shows...AND Sprint offered one year upgrades at my level of spending. SO I paid my ETF with Verizon, and ported over to Sprint. I sign up, not two months later comes the EVO, first thing they do is slap 10.00 on the top for "premium data". WTF IS "premium data"? Nope not 4g, because I am not within 300 miles of the nearest 4g. And to call what we receive "premium" is like calling spam steak. I think, in the month I have had a phone capable of speedtests, I have had one speedtest that was faster than fast dialup. NOT what I was expecting, not at all. I thought it was my Blackberry at first, so I let it slide. I didn't know how bad it was, like I said, until I got my Evo. So not only am I now paying 10.00 extra for that Evo, now, if I do something as simple as an ESN swap to a phone I already OWN, I am going to get charged 10.00 more on my OTHER lines? I don't think so. I'll fight first. I'll lose more than likely, but I'll fight.

Digiblur tried to tell me about Sprint's craptacular data service in Louisiana....sometimes I don't listen that well. Cost is NOT the be-all and end-all, understand, its about value and what I am receiving for what I pay is only better on paper.

Last edited:
Because I was paying 109.00 for three lines with 700 minutes talk and text with VZW, and with Sprint's ERRP ( new SERO) I paid 109.00 for 1600 minutes WITH data for all three phones. Sprint's VOICE is pretty solid here. DATA, OTOH, is something else entirely.

In April,2010, when contemplating this decision, ( After all I had been with Verizon since 1999....) ,all information available pointed to Sprint NOT charging extra for 4g, according to Dan Hesse, at CES or one of those electronics shows...AND Sprint offered one year upgrades at my level of spending. SO I paid my ETF with Verizon, and ported over to Sprint. I sign up, not two months later comes the EVO, first thing they do is slap 10.00 on the top for "premium data". WTF IS "premium data"? Nope not 4g, because I am not within 300 miles of the nearest 4g. And to call what we receive "premium" is like calling spam steak. I think, in the month I have had a phone capable of speedtests, I have had one speedtest that was faster than fast dialup. NOT what I was expecting, not at all. I thought it was my Blackberry at first, so I let it slide. I didn't know how bad it was, like I said, until I got my Evo. So not only am I now paying 10.00 extra for that Evo, now, if I do something as simple as an ESN swap to a phone I already OWN, I am going to get charged 10.00 more on my OTHER lines? I don't think so. I'll fight first. I'll lose more than likely, but I'll fight.

Digiblur tried to tell me about Sprint's craptacular data service in Louisiana....sometimes I don't listen that well. Cost is NOT the be-all and end-all, understand, its about value and what I am receiving for what I pay is only better on paper.

don't feel bad, i live in a 4g area and my data is crappy. i ditched the netbook 2 weeks after i bought it because of that fact. i really thought when 4g came here, the data service would be better. it wasn't. and i sold my evo less than 4 months after i bought it. and i couldn't make a phone call without dropping it unless i had an airave.

One of Sprints biggest advantages was price, even with the $10 fee they are still on par or cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. I pay the Premium Data fee for 4G so it doesn’t effect me one way or another. Sprint could charge and extra $50/month and I’d still pay it. I’d rather flush my money down the toilet then give it to the Spawn of Satan, Verizon, or their former [in name only] parent AT&T. Both of those companies and their respective wireless portions will NEVER EVER see a dime from me. I’ll be Sprint subscriber for life, no matter the cost.

When I spoke to a Sprint rep about 2 months ago, she informed me about the $10 fee for 4g. The first thing I asked was, is their 4G service in our area? No.. But you can go to a 4G area and use it. The nearest 4G area around me is 6 hrs away. I don't understand how they can justify to charge you for 4G service if your not even getting it. That's like paying the Cable Company for a HBO subscription but you can't watch it. Also I've been a loyal Sprint Customer for over 15yrs. I can live without a data plan. Talk and text is good enough for me.

When I spoke to a Sprint rep about 2 months ago, she informed me about the $10 fee for 4g. The first thing I asked was, is their 4G service in our area? No.. But you can go to a 4G area and use it. The nearest 4G area around me is 6 hrs away. I don't understand how they can justify to charge you for 4G service if your not even getting it. That's like paying the Cable Company for a HBO subscription but you can't watch it. Also I've been a loyal Sprint Customer for over 15yrs.
I can live without a data plan. Talk and text is good enough for me.

I agree, but those plans do not include anytime any mobile & in the long run would cost me more. I am seriously going to have to restructure our cell bill some how. :confused:

I think it was a case of Sprint cutting their everything price too low. When the other providers did not follow suit, they realized they were leaving money on the table. They could do a price increase and still be lower priced than the competition.

I've never been with Verizon Cell, is thier speed faster ?

One of Sprints biggest advantages was price, even with the $10 fee they are still on par or cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. I pay the Premium Data fee for 4G so it doesn’t effect me one way or another. Sprint could charge and extra $50/month and I’d still pay it. I’d rather flush my money down the toilet then give it to the Spawn of Satan, Verizon, or their former [in name only] parent AT&T. Both of those companies and their respective wireless portions will NEVER EVER see a dime from me. I’ll be Sprint subscriber for life, no matter the cost.

Ummm, Verizon and AT&T are not and never were related.
That said, I agree with the first part of your post, they Sprint plan is still cheaper than others.

When I spoke to a Sprint rep about 2 months ago, she informed me about the $10 fee for 4g. The first thing I asked was, is their 4G service in our area? No.. But you can go to a 4G area and use it. The nearest 4G area around me is 6 hrs away. I don't understand how they can justify to charge you for 4G service if your not even getting it. That's like paying the Cable Company for a HBO subscription but you can't watch it. Also I've been a loyal Sprint Customer for over 15yrs. I can live without a data plan. Talk and text is good enough for me.

I got the same lame explanation when I got my Epic when it came out, they said, if I go to an area that has it I can use it, like I'm gonna travel somewhere JUST to use it,,, then they tell me it's for the ability to use the other features in the phone as well.
I took it because I wanted the phone, but was not happy with the addl. fees, now all Smart phones get the privlidge of paying for it.

That said, I agree with the first part of your post, they Sprint plan is still cheaper than others.

Really it all depends. Sprint was actually more expensive than AT&T for me. I had two smart phones and three regular phones. The only way Sprint is cheaper is if you have a bunch of smart phones or use the data and navigation on the regular phones. For me the three regular phones were only used for cell calls and texting. When we moved back to AT&T my bill dropped by $20.

I was referring to the talk & text only plans, they're a little cheaper but exclude the anytime any mobile (family plans).

I've never been with Verizon Cell, is thier speed faster ?

I'm in Houston and here, there is essentially no difference between Sprint & Verizon's 3G speeds--they both run around 1.5 mbps, which is pretty much the real-world max for EVDO Rev A. On 4G, I average around 5 mpbs but have seen as fast as 9 mbps in speed tests.

Ummm, Verizon and AT&T are not and never were related.

Who is Verizon? The result of the Bell Atlantic/GTE merger. Who was Bell Atlantic? NYNEX. Who was NYNEX? One of the RBOCs that was created when the government broke apart the original AT&T Corp in the ‘80s. Yes, I realize Verizon and VZW are two totally separate companies with Verizon owning a slight majority, but close enough. And yes I know that the AT&T that is around today is actually SBC, which was one of the RBOCs. The current AT&T and Verizon are both decedents of AT&T Corp.

Really it all depends. Sprint was actually more expensive than AT&T for me. I had two smart phones and three regular phones. The only way Sprint is cheaper is if you have a bunch of smart phones or use the data and navigation on the regular phones. For me the three regular phones were only used for cell calls and texting. When we moved back to AT&T my bill dropped by $20.

OK, I guess you have to qualify your situation as everyone's is different.
I only have one phone on my plan (Sprint Samsung Epic).

If I went to Verizon and ATT and looked for the things I use ... Talk, Text, mobile to mobile and Internet .... the others were $90+ taxes, while Sprints were $ 69 + taxes, at the time I got mine.

Also, each of these items I use were on separate plans, you added a fee for text, M&M and internet all were addl. fees, Sprint was smart and bundled them all together for thier "Everything" plan, that they currently have.
Others may have done this by now, I really don't pay to much attention to what the others are doing once I have my package.

Ok here is what I got now with sprint

3 smart phones

129( Family Data with 1500 minute and unlimted text , data ) + 20 for 3rd line

Total 149
Now +30 10x3 as even a esn swap to a different smart phone that you already own ill trigger the 10 dollar fee and when i travel outside the us about once a year i switch over to 3 world edition blackberries CDMA+GSM radios. it allows me to still have acess to my sprint vmail and feature cheaply with sim card from Orange or Tmobile or Virgin mobile uk or BT or where ever I am going .

179 before tax
179 - minus corp discount put it at 152

att with discount with 3 iphones was going to be 142 I just annoyed with sprint as an extra 30 is a huge price hike.

im interested to look at ATT now if I can get out of my contract(or even Verizon) with the corporate discounts. before $20 in surcharges, I am at $165/mo for 5 everything data lines(unlimited data, text and 1600 shared minutes).

I'm in Houston and here, there is essentially no difference between Sprint & Verizon's 3G speeds--they both run around 1.5 mbps, which is pretty much the real-world max for EVDO Rev A. On 4G, I average around 5 mpbs but have seen as fast as 9 mbps in speed tests.

You avg. 5, I'd be thrilled with an avg of 5 with 4G if and when it ever gets here.

Fwiw, I'll possibly be able to try the 4G in a few weeks for a few minutes while I'm changing planes in Houston. :)