Two new reports on iphone

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
#1 Verizon COO announced today that the iphone 4 to go on sale in February will be offered for a promotional time period an unlimited data plan.

#2 iphone 5 is to offer Wave and Pay technology.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Apple to sell the next version of its iPhone with "wave and pay" technology, the Financial Times reported Tuesday, citing Asian suppliers and others, including Visa Inc. (V), that have been in talks with the U.S. company.
The technology, called near-field communication, or NFC, incorporates information from financial accounts and ties that data to specific devices, the sources told the newspaper.
"I do believe the iPhone 5 will have NFC embedded," said Visa's head of mobile innovation, Bill Gajda.
Apple declined to comment, according to the FT.

Signature Apple: give it a fancy name and make your faithful believe it is a first! Again!!
Who will ever question what their "dear leader" said?
:)

Diogen.

I guess that means I'll be moving to an iPhone 5 next January, when my contract expires. Perhaps a bit earlier, if they waive part of the period as they've done in the past.

It actually is really good news.

NOW- how many hours before an announcement of an Andriod with the same feature? :p

Signature Apple: give it a fancy name and make your faithful believe it is a first! Again!!
Who will ever question what their "dear leader" said?
:)

Diogen.

Actually, he posted that Apple declined to comment. So any fancy names came from others.

Android has already announced NFC (Near-Field Communication) for Gingerbread (2.3), and it's available NOW on the Nexus S (T-Mobile).

The problem is it needs new HW, so my new Evo doesn't have the chip(s) AFAIK.

And it would be a first, can you name another phone that does those things NOW?

I don't understand all the Apple hate, if it wasn't for Apple there would be no Android. Apple is pushing the other companies to get off their butts and create new products in order to try keeping up with Apple and I think that is a GREAT thing!

I don't understand all the Apple hate, if it wasn't for Apple there would be no Android. Apple is pushing the other companies to get off their butts and create new products in order to try keeping up with Apple and I think that is a GREAT thing!

Surprised apple didn't call it iPay

Yeah, without apple, I don't know when we'd would have gotten copy/paste or multitasking on our winmo or android phones... As LER said, I believe the Nexus S was the first consumer phone with NFC built in. I only believe it was tested in a few markets that had enough business cooperating though and even then I think they have crippled the NFC chip until Gingerbread has it worked out fully.

I do agree in concept that competition is good though. I will give apple credit in they creation of the revenue stream driving popularization of "app stores"

Last edited:

Well Apple can thank the LG for copying the PRADA phone

Now what we need is an explosion of places accepting NFC, so we don't all have to go to Japan or Europe to use it.

Yeah, without apple, I don't know when we'd would have gotten copy/paste or multitasking on our winmo or android phones...
Yeah right can you take a screenshot on your Android phone without Rooting it? Can you orginaze your apps or put them in folders? No I didn't think so but strangely you can do it on an iPhone, imagine that.

People make fun of Apple saying if you want it to do anything then you need to Jailbreak it. Well the same goes on Android except instead of calling it a Jailbreak they call it rooting. Same thing different name.

I am a Android user with a Sprint Evo who came to Android from a iPhone 4. I love my Evo but at times I miss some of the features of my iPhone 4. Its fun to mke fun of Steve, but honestly this Apple -vs- android stuff is just crap from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Try using both and you will see that each has its own merits.

Take off the blinders and take a look at what Apple has done to the mobile phone and pda market is less then 5 years. Just look back the big players were Palm (where are they now?) and Blackberry. You and I might not LOVE Apple but they made this market awfully exciting for all of us and I think that's a good thing.

Yeah right can you take a screenshot on your Android phone without Rooting it? Can you orginaze your apps or put them in folders? No I didn't think so but strangely you can do it on an iPhone, imagine that.

People make fun of Apple saying if you want it to do anything then you need to Jailbreak it. Well the same goes on Android except instead of calling it a Jailbreak they call it rooting. Same thing different name.

I am a Android user with a Sprint Evo who came to Android from a iPhone 4. I love my Evo but at times I miss some of the features of my iPhone 4. Its fun to mke fun of Steve, but honestly this Apple -vs- android stuff is just crap from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Try using both and you will see that each has its own merits.

Take off the blinders and take a look at what Apple has done to the mobile phone and pda market is less then 5 years. Just look back the big players were Palm (where are they now?) and Blackberry. You and I might not LOVE Apple but they made this market awfully exciting for all of us and I think that's a good thing.

Just me maybe, but I have never needed to take a screenshot of my mobile phone... but it was on winmo 6 that I could take a screenshot of it. I could even remote into it similar to rdp without unlocking it.

I just joking in my post and I am not sure you took it that way.
never claimed android was superior nor winmo, just saying that the way the apple diehards act it's like apple invented everything and everyone else copied. I completely agree that each platform has its merits and strengths. Apple is teriffic at marketing but they are also great at rebranding existing technology then dumbing down the name and sometimes it's insulting to the consumer (at least in my eyes) how they pretend it's too complicated to explain so we'll call it "magic".

I have an ipod, my wife and ipad and I wouldn't trade them right now for a competitive platform at all, but when it comes to the iPhone it's not that great an innovation. It's an ipod touch that's a phone.... The innovation was the ipod touch.

I have an ipod, my wife and ipad and I wouldn't trade them right now for a competitive platform at all, but when it comes to the iPhone it's not that great an innovation. It's an ipod touch that's a phone.... The innovation was the ipod touch.
Hey I don't agree with a lot of what Apple does (especially calling their simple technology "magic") remember I am an Android guy myself.

I will agree 100% with you on the iPod Touch. :D

Scott,

Yes you can take screen shots without rooting. Folders, don't know but you can organize quite effectively using home screens.

I don't have a problem with apple, I prefer android. Not surprising since I make my living on various *nix implementations. Apple is making it very easy to make fun of them these days...

Did apple invent the smartphone? Nope. Given the competition available at the time, they blew past them though. Now, without wholesale improvements, RIM will become an also ran.

Apple won't be first to the market with nfc, dual core, 3d on the phone. And if they don't change their approach to add on storage real soon they'll have some very serious issues on hand.

When I bought my phone it was either iphone 4 or evo. The only apple plus was the qhd display.

Swyped on my CM'D Evo using tapatalk!

John,
is there an on-Phone app for the screen shot or only via DDMS from the SDK?

LER

Larry,

Don't know... Haven't researched it too much.

Oops misread your post...

Screen shot it and screen capture (cjr) claim no root. Screen capture looks like it uses the sdk.

Watching backups run is super boring.

Swyped on my CM'D Evo using tapatalk!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)