Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sprint and DISH to Trial Fixed Wireless Broadband Service

Release Date: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:00 am MST

Terms:Financial Corporate

Dateline City: OVERLAND PARK, Kan. & ENGLEWOOD, Colo.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. & ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) and DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today they plan to jointly develop and deploy a fixed wireless broadband service, on a trial basis, in Corpus Christi, TX that will be available in the middle of 2014. The service will initially be available in limited areas of Corpus Christi with a plan to expand into additional markets in the future.

Depending on a customer’s location, DISH will install either a ruggedized outdoor router or an indoor solution to deliver the best possible broadband service to that site. Both solutions will feature built-in high-gain antennas to receive the 4G TDD-LTE signal on Sprint’s 2.5 GHz spectrum.

“With millions underserved by inadequate broadband, the potential to bring a high-speed fixed wireless solution is very compelling to both DISH and Sprint,” said Tom Cullen, DISH executive vice president of Corporate Development. “We both bring distinct skills, not the least of which for DISH is a workforce of professional technicians who visit thousands of homes every day performing professional installations for both video and broadband.”

“This trial with DISH has great potential as it combines the key capabilities and assets of both companies to provide another option to customers with limited broadband access,” said Michael Schwartz, Sprint senior vice president of Corporate and Business Development. “This demonstrates Sprint’s ongoing commitment to identify and develop new and innovative products and services that maximize the use and utility of our spectrum and flexible network infrastructure to the benefit of customers and shareholders.”

I think this is great as long as they make the caps at least 250 gb per month.

I am hearing that Sprint wants to merge or buy T-mobile . There goes another cell company that Charlie wanted to do a merger or buy. So partnership with Sprint might be the way that DISH can still use the bandwith and make a good internet service for it's customers too.

Last edited:
They are using the Sprint spectrum at 2.5 GHZ. Building penetration is not going to be the best, so the external antennas. But, it also keeps competition with cell phones down too, as people do not like dropped calls when they go inside a building. This could help keep the data uncapped or have high caps.

If there is not enough signal inside the home then they would have to run a cat5 cable from outside where the antenna/radio enclosure would be attached to inside where the computer/router would be.

My guess is if the trial works out then maybe they could install better equipment on their towers as the need arises using the spectrum they bought or exchange the spectrum they bought for services with Sprint. They could offer triple play like they always wanted and all services be done without a cable run to the house.

I think a partnership rather than a merger or buyout would be the way to go for DISH and Sprint /T-mobile- if they merge the two. DISH gets an internet service using 4g and Sprint gets a crack at all that bandwith Charlie has bought up . A win -win for both companies.

I wonder just how good the partnership will be though. I think some past partnerships didn't work out well for them. Hopefully they can make this work. They needed to do something sooner rather than later.

I would think that Dish would have learned their lesson by now to be able to do some even more great things in the industry. Charlie didn't get rich by being stupid though, he done something right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts