St. Louiis Local HD problem - Error 002

shelto13

Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
St. Louis Local HD problem - Error 002

Is anyone else in the St. Louis area having issues with the HD locals? I have two 622's that are both unable to receive two of the four local channels. I can view ABC and CBS but am unable to get FOX or NBC. When I tune to those channels I get Error 002. It appears that the last thing it attempts is to acquire a signal on Sat 118 Transponder 18. I have tried all of the usual things - power cycle and a check switch. When I do a check switch I do get an error on 118. The thing I don't understand is that I believe all St. Louis HD locals are on 118. If I get an error when checking the switch on 118 why am I able to see some of the channels?

Last edited:
I just checked the uplink thread and noticed the following:

6453 - KDNL moved from AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 11 ConUS beam to AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 11 ConUS beam (A)
6454 - KMOV moved from AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 11 ConUS beam to AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 11 ConUS beam (A)
6455 - KSDK moved from AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 24 ConUS beam to AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 18 ConUS beam (A)
6456 - KTVI moved from AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 24 ConUS beam to AMC-16/AnikF3 118.7W TP 18 ConUS beam (A)

The two channels that don't work are on TP18. Could that be the issue? Dish wants to charge me $50 to come out and take a look at it and I want to make sure it isn't an issue on their end first.

Same problem here!

I have the same problem. Started with Fox2 on Sun/Mon, and NBC too. CBS and ABC are fine. I can't get local ch 2 or 5 in HD anywhere, or in SD on ch 2 or 5, but can get SD on ch8592 and 8593. I spent a while with Tech support and could not get anything resolved. Said something about a bad switch, which I thought was strange. They made an appt for a service tech but had no openings for 2 weeks.
Any advice by the technically savvy would be appreciated!!!!!

Does anybody here have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Should I start a new thread in the DishNetwork Tech forum?

I took your advice and emailed dish network....
This is the response :

Thank you for your information. We forwarded this email off to the
correct team. They responded by saying they did have a few customers in
STL complain about this issue. It was a matter of having their dish
re-peaked. If you are still having this issue, we suggest the
technicians try the same thing. If you are no longer having this
issue, we are unsure at this time why it would have quit.

Thank you,

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Is anyone else in the St. Louis area having issues with the HD locals? I have two 622's that are both unable to receive two of the four local channels. I can view ABC and CBS but am unable to get FOX or NBC. When I tune to those channels I get Error 002. It appears that the last thing it attempts is to acquire a signal on Sat 118 Transponder 18. I have tried all of the usual things - power cycle and a check switch. When I do a check switch I do get an error on 118. The thing I don't understand is that I believe all St. Louis HD locals are on 118. If I get an error when checking the switch on 118 why am I able to see some of the channels?

According to a Dish tech support rep they have thousands of reports about this issue. A new satellite was moved into position at 118.7º and the local HD channels were moved over to it on or about 4/30/07. I have also lost KTVI and KSDK HD channels and get a signal strength of only 20 or so on transponder 18 here in Collinsville, IL. A friend (also in Collinsville) was in the same boat. He had called in right away and the tech came out today and re-pointed his dish. He told Dish in no uncertain terms he would NOT pay the service fee and, guess what, they waived the fee. They know what is going on. I am still under my 90 day warranty period but I couldn't get an appointment earlier than 5/19.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Call DISH and demand they waive the fee and send someone out.:mad:

same problem

i live west cty
have had the same problem for over a week now

had an appointment today with american digital they said it was a software issue
dish says its an install problem or lnb

so they didnt come out!!

im pissed

called dish after watching chat tonight (the 800 # on the screen)
this is the 1st he has heard of it
and is sending someone out friday

follow up -
At 6:30 tonight, after having a service call scheduled for 12-5, I decided to call Dishnetwork. They first said there was no appointment scheduled, then later said that it was cancelled!!! By Who? Not us for sure - And it would have been nice to tell us!!! And after waiting 2.5 weeks with this problem, I now get to wait at least another week and take another day of vacation (the soonest they can get someone here after screwing this up is a week...cmon!!!!) I am not wasting my vacation time for this again.
Great Support, huh? This is the same stuff I went through when dealing with Charter Cable, and the reason I switched to Dish (and pay quite a bit more $$). I am starting to think I made a mistake.

follow up -
At 6:30 tonight, after having a service call scheduled for 12-5, I decided to call Dishnetwork. They first said there was no appointment scheduled, then later said that it was cancelled!!! By Who? Not us for sure - And it would have been nice to tell us!!! And after waiting 2.5 weeks with this problem, I now get to wait at least another week and take another day of vacation (the soonest they can get someone here after screwing this up is a week...cmon!!!!) I am not wasting my vacation time for this again.
Great Support, huh? This is the same stuff I went through when dealing with Charter Cable, and the reason I switched to Dish (and pay quite a bit more $$). I am starting to think I made a mistake.
if it is the same guy im dealing with
which it sounds like
they dont think a realignment will work
but there was a guy on dbs today that
that fixed his problem

so we will see

i did one today that was having this exact same problem. The customer was VERY unhappy so we messed with it for a while. We replaced the lnb, which didnt seem to fix it, replaced the DPP44 switch, nothing. Also, none of the recievers in the house would get 118 transponder 18. I checked the wiring outside and the wire going between the switch and the lnb was a little warm.
I disconnected the power inserter for the DPP44 and bammm, run the check switch and everything is working, no problem.
Moral of the story, I have no idea what actually fixed it, but with a new DPP44 without the power supply, and a new 118/119 lnb installed, everything is working perfect. Now I sit and wait to see if I get a call back.

o, and we tried realigning the dish to peak for that particular transponder, but with no luck

i did one today that was having this exact same problem. The customer was VERY unhappy so we messed with it for a while. We replaced the lnb, which didnt seem to fix it, replaced the DPP44 switch, nothing. Also, none of the recievers in the house would get 118 transponder 18. I checked the wiring outside and the wire going between the switch and the lnb was a little warm.
I disconnected the power inserter for the DPP44 and bammm, run the check switch and everything is working, no problem.
Moral of the story, I have no idea what actually fixed it, but with a new DPP44 without the power supply, and a new 118/119 lnb installed, everything is working perfect. Now I sit and wait to see if I get a call back.

o, and we tried realigning the dish to peak for that particular transponder, but with no luck

so i just got off the phone with the OK office and they are trying to cancel my appointment tommorrow cause they say they have no cure for the problem

and i read your quote to them and they said that is just a coinsedence
that that worked

i told them i dont care if thats the case or not
i want someone out here tommorrow
or heads will fly

so hopefully someone will be out

but this is really pissing me off!!

update

was called again by the OK comp. that controls service appointments
and they tried to cancel my appointment for tommorrow
they siad
sat 118 is not responding and they are in the process of moving the HD programming off of that sat.
if u have a scheduled service appointment for this problem
do NOT cancel plans or work
cause more than likely they are going to cancel this appointment
if they havent already
and they are not that good at letting us the customer know that they canceled
they are however still coming tommorrow caused i raised alot of hell
what they cant explain to me is way some people are still getting the 2 locals in HD
and some are not

Last edited:
update -
A service tech came to the house today, and told us there are a ton of these issues. I was not home, but my wife said he did some tinkering with the dish outside, and now all is fine (hopefully it stays this way).
Thanks for everyone's input.

tech came out already
did everything and then some
STILL NO FOX
i do get nbc now but fox is all messed up
i do get a picture now but still unwatchable
now what

i guess i just wait and hope the credit the shat out of my account

update -
A service tech came to the house today, and told us there are a ton of these issues. I was not home, but my wife said he did some tinkering with the dish outside, and now all is fine (hopefully it stays this way).
Thanks for everyone's input.

Same here. Techs came out this morning. They seemed very familiar with the issue. The highlights are that the new satellite was supposed to be at 118.7º but wound up at 118.2º. Echostar isn't saying what happened or why. Echostar's suggested workaround is to change the "skew" of the dish and re-peak the signal. I've got both KTVI HD and KDSK HD back now with signal levels in the low 70's for the 118-11 and 118-12 transponders. The techs said Echostar is still working on the problem for a permanent fix and that both uplinks and downlinks are affected. The ADS techs have apparently been re-pointing dishes for weeks now because of this. They said at one time they had over 1000 reports in the St. Louis area pending in their office.:eureka

Same problem - $29.00 charge

They charged me $29.00 for a service call to re-align my dish. That is a load of BS...

Has anyone gotten out of the charge? How did you do it?

They charged me $29.00 for a service call to re-align my dish. That is a load of BS...

Has anyone gotten out of the charge? How did you do it?

You can't now if it's on the bill I don't think. You should have demanded when you called that they don't charge you the 29 bucks. a lot of folks got around that problem. I hate to say it but your stuck with the 29 buck charge most likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)