Standard Channels Picture Quality

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Cookeville, TN
I just finished moving my Toshiba 36" TV in the corner of my living room. I hooked up Voom to it by using the svideo out of the STB while using DVI and also componet from my Mitsubishi 65". The picture quality is pretty good on the 36". I had been harping about picture quality on the standard channels but had not seen it on the 36". First time I ever had 2 tv's in my living room also.

I think I will just use the Mits for HD stuff and the Toshiba for standard channels.

Lem52

sounds like a cool idea but, why dont you run the voom box in 480i or 480p when watching standard definition and 1080i when watching high definition.I think it looks better that way myself but that just my two cents worth.........well later...............DIGITAL~DAN

How do I do that? By pushing that little red button on Voom reciever? I hadn't thought to try doing that. I will see how it looks.

Lem52

I have tried that before to see if my SD channels looked any better, but they don't seem to. I usually flip over to dish network if I am serious about watching any SD programming.

It seemed to make a big difference here on my big screen as the 480p was better than 480i. I couldn't tell that much difference going from 480p to 1080i though. Should the 1080i be better? I don't think my Mits does 780p though. It probably upconverts to 1080i.

Lem52

I think I'm going to try what I'm doing right now with Comcast (Moto 5100). I have both component and s-video out hooked up and switch over to s-video for SDTV. At least on the 5100 it hides compression artifacts better that way.

On my system (Sharp projector), I have the control set to automatic on the VOOM box. TCM (which I used to judge the 480 picture) has sharper text and more detail than on the other satellite system. To set the resolution with the button on the right hand side, press the button until all lights flash together and it is set on automatic. This displays the picture in the original resolution that it was broadcast in :) .

It would be great if Voom could some how add separate settings for SD and HD.

Leaving the STB on Native does give a better picture for SD channels, but my TV doesn't support 720p. So that's not a good option for me since several Voom HD channels are in 720p. Instead I have to set my STB for 1080i.

But as I said before it would be great if there was a way to set HD channels to 1080i and SD channels to 480p... Or maybe Voom could just broadcast all HD in 1080i :yes

The thing with leaving the STB in native mode is that there is a noticable pause in picture while the STB changes format.

For the SD programming 1080i wouldn't be any better and quite possibly could be worse because it is forcing 480 lines of horizontal resolution to fill 1080. There is a lot of compromising going on with that. It's like using a bucket of paint that is stated to cover 400 sq. ft. and using it to paint 900 sq. ft. Kinda' spreading it a little thin.

Also, txdude is right about the 720p programming. If your TV doesn't up convert for you then you are SOL.

Lem52,
As far as the SD programming looking better on your 36", it should. Those 480 interlaced lines of reolution are being condensed into a set that is 1. Designed for that format, and 2. Much smaller in area then your 65". I personnaly haven't hooked my 36" Sony to Voom yet but I know that my CATV looks brillant on my Sony as compared to my 65" Mitsu.

wasch_24 said:
The thing with leaving the STB in native mode is that there is a noticable pause in picture while the STB changes format.

It is noticeable but minimal. Maybe less than 1 sec. It is a non-issue for me. I use the native mode because it gives me the best PQ on HD and SD channels (except for guide, of course). From the survey, it looks as almost everybody is using fixed 1080i. My guess is that this is forced by inability of some tv sets to accept 720p. I can't see other reasons.

andrzej said:
It is noticeable but minimal. Maybe less than 1 sec. It is a non-issue for me. I use the native mode because it gives me the best PQ on HD and SD channels (except for guide, of course). From the survey, it looks as almost everybody is using fixed 1080i. My guess is that this is forced by inability of some tv sets to accept 720p. I can't see other reasons.
I forgot to include that the delay is accentuated by my TV switching resolutions.

I leave my box in Auto and when my projector switches from 1080i to 720p there is about a 1 second display of "fuzz" on the screen, but when I switch back to 1080i or 480i it is instant.

I have a technical question: If VOOM broadcast all of its HD channels in 1080i does the set top bo:mad:receiver) convert to 720p? In any event, the HD content looks great on my monitor switched to 1080i, but the SD content has poor PQ in every format....especially the "Cable favorite" channels.

The STB will output whatever you want it to. Pull down the little cover in the front right corner and push the red button. You'll see a green light bar light up. When the top bar lights, you get 1080i, second from top 720p, 3rd, 480p, bottom 480i and all lit up, Auto where the box outputs the received resolution.

The Voom box does a rotten job of scaling 480i to 1080i so if your TV can scale 480i to 1080i and do a better job, put it in Auto mode. But then if your TV can't accept a 720p signal, you'll have to press the red button yourself to select the output you want.

I leave my projector on Auto all the time, it seems to do a better job at scaling 480i than the Voom STB, and my projector has a not so good scaler. I'm thinking about getting an external scaler for 480i material.

briani said:
I have a technical question: If VOOM broadcast all of its HD channels in 1080i does the set top bo:mad:receiver) convert to 720p? In any event, the HD content looks great on my monitor switched to 1080i, but the SD content has poor PQ in every format....especially the "Cable favorite" channels.

You mean SD looks worse than SD on other sat providers or that it looks worse that HD? The former is debatable, and the latter is kinda obvious, isn't it?

Depends on the channel. I've seen quite a few of the SD channels that look as good as my local OTA SD digital channels. I could not watch any SD from Dish on my projector, but many of Vooms' SD channels are very watchable.