Stanley Cup on Versus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rafferman

Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
The Stanley Cup is being telecast on Versus, Channel 603, but I get a message"channel not purchased." I recall last year that Versus was originally not available as a free channel during the hockey season, but did become available during the playoffs. I seem to recall that there was a dispute between Comcast (owner of Versus) and Direct TV. Will Direct TV offer Versus for free? I just found this press release from last year. I wonder why Direct TV and Versus couldn't continue the deal.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. and PHILADELPHIA, March 15, 2010 –– DIRECTV and Comcast have reached an agreement to return VERSUS to the DIRECTV programming lineup today. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

VERSUS will return to the same DIRECTV programming packages it was in at the end of August 2009.

"We are pleased that both sides were able to work out a satisfactory deal to bring this programming back to our customers," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV.

We're excited that we were able to come to a fair agreement that puts VERSUS back in millions of homes with DIRECTV in time for our busy spring programming schedule," said Jamie Davis, president of VERSUS. "We look forward to super–serving these fans with NHL regular–season and playoff coverage, our first live UFC event and much more."

Versus might have been free for a short time after it came back to DirecTV, I can't remember.

I think it is in the Choice Xtra package, if you just have Choice it is $5 more a month to upgrade to get Versus (and many others).

I don't ever remember it being free, but I could be wrong. I always have to upgrade towards the end of the regular NHL season so I can get the playoffs. I have Choice. As Mr. Crandall said, it's on Choice Xtra. Not sure what the upgrade cost will be for you since I'm on an MDU account, but I pay an extra $17.99.

Nothing on that channel for me. I got the Rangers on 642 but I'm in the Washington market
Interesting. I was just curious, it is blacked out in my (NY) area (I get it on MSG+) but I was curious to see if they were going to use the alternate channel this year.

Versus is a joke.

Last Night, Versus had the national carriage rights to the Chicago/Vancouver game so when the Rangers/Washington game went into overtime there was no way to get the Chicago/Vancouver game unless you lived in the Chicago DMA, as Center Ice was not allowed to carry any feeds of the Chicago/Vancouver game. If you (VERSUS) are the national carrier of the NHL Playoffs then as the national carrier you should have multiple channels so no games are Not carried live that you are THE ONLY NATIONAL OUTLET for those or that game.

John

Versus is a joke.

Last Night, Versus had the national carriage rights to the Chicago/Vancouver game so when the Rangers/Washington game went into overtime there was no way to get the Chicago/Vancouver game unless you lived in the Chicago DMA, as Center Ice was not allowed to carry any feeds of the Chicago/Vancouver game. If you (VERSUS) are the national carrier of the NHL Playoffs then as the national carrier you should have multiple channels so no games are Not carried live that you are THE ONLY NATIONAL OUTLET for those or that game.

John

Problem is, VS DOES have multiple channels for just THIS type of situation.

I too was looking for the Blackhawks game, with no luck I might add.

603 being the main channel, while 604 is the Alt channel, they SHOULD have turned on the other game on the ALT. channel.

Will the Sharks game is blackout for me. So I am watching the game on CSNCAHD (698).

Status
Please reply by conversation.