Stanley Cup

Det exposes yet another "shutdown" goalie in the playoffs. Let's see.... Theodore came in hot, Turco came in hot, Fleury came in hot. Fleury showed a bit of his nerves when he fell coming on to the ice to start the game, but he looked good early on.

Great game for Wings fans, but I don't expect each game to be like that, I expect more of the 1st period kind of games. Although Pens are gonna have to get a few more shots on goal.

Exposed another goalie ....

This is good, but far to many times in the last 10-15 years the Wings have made an average goalie a superstar in the playoffs...

Jimbo

Chelios is right where he need's to be. On the bench. The D is much better and faster without him, and babcock knows it.

Based on the game I watched the other night the Pens are just no match for the Wings, they really are not. I also look at the Redwings last 3 finals appearances, 4-1, 4-0, 4-0. It seems their struggles are from within the western conference, and once they get to the finals, its lights out.

Chelios is right where he need's to be. On the bench. The D is much better and faster without him, and babcock knows it.

Based on the game I watched the other night the Pens are just no match for the Wings, they really are not. I also look at the Redwings last 3 finals appearances, 4-1, 4-0, 4-0. It seems their struggles are from within the western conference, and once they get to the finals, its lights out.

The Wings are much better WITH Chelios in there.
I really hate seeing Lebda cough it up in front of the net every time he's in there.

Correction, I meant to say Lilia not Lebda, as you can see, he just gave the Pens a glorious chance to score, when he fell down and coughed up the puck in the Wings defensive end.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I never expected the Penguins to become cheap shot artist.
Two different guys give a blow to the SAME guys HEAD at different times ( Franzen) ....

Then a hit to Zetterburg well after the play and they have been going at Ozzie all night.

Should the Wings decide to start pounding on Crosby, Hossa and Malkin ?

Jimbo

It's gonna be real ugly if Pittsburgh doesn't play any better at home.
They have been completely outplayed for 115 of the 120 minutes so far.

Jimbo

Remember when Boston was the dominant sports city in the fall of 2007?

Perhaps Detroit will be this year's 'Super Sports City, or Center of the Sports Universe.'

(Tigers still can make some noise, and the Lions WILL be a better team- I think Kitna's 10-win guarantee will come true.)

The pens are too talented to be resorting to cheap shots. That really surprised me that they were so blatant with those hits to Franzen. The players want to showcase the NHL; that is not the way to do it.

The pens are too talented to be resorting to cheap shots. That really surprised me that they were so blatant with those hits to Franzen. The players want to showcase the NHL; that is not the way to do it.

I agree, 4 times Malone was sent to the box for a variety of calls, two were so do with Ozzie that I remember.

When I saw old man Roberts blatantly sucker punch to the head of Franzen from behind, I thought of Bertuzzi, fortunatly Franzen wasn't knocked to the ice and hit his head.
Before you all jump on me, I'm not saying this was the same as Bertuzzi , just that it reminded me of it, this could have been much worse than it turned out, when he went down, I thought he was hit in the eye, then when they showed the replay it was obvious that it was a punch.

Jimbo

Initially I thought Franzen was hit in the face with the butt of a stick. I am just glad it wasn't an intentional effort to take Franzen out of the series. In any case, I think the games will be a bit more competitive in Pittsburgh BUT unless some of the Wings are picked up on waivers by the Pens...I see this series ending in 4. The Wings are the best road team in the league!

Initially I thought Franzen was hit in the face with the butt of a stick. I am just glad it wasn't an intentional effort to take Franzen out of the series. In any case, I think the games will be a bit more competitive in Pittsburgh BUT unless some of the Wings are picked up on waivers by the Pens...I see this series ending in 4. The Wings are the best road team in the league!

Oh, I see it a slight bit different.
I saw Roberts hit to be INTENTIONAL and I think it WAS to try and get him out of the game, did you notice another Pen's player took a shot at him after the play in front of Flury as well shortly after the Roberts punch.

I still think the Pens will come out and win one of the games at home, then again .... they'd have to beat the Great Wall of Ozzzzzzz.

Jimbo

Oh it was intentional, the pens are delibrately going after Franzen and Ozzie. Thing is, to me, why waste your time going after a guy who has been out for so long and is not the one burning your defenses and goalie.

Biggest disappointment for me so far, I expect Malkin to be more of a factor. He's worthless to the Pens right now.

Game 3 should be interesting, if it were me coaching, I'd put Stuart and Kronwall out against Malone/Roberts, let em do a little seek and destroy if the opportunity presents itself. Or just pummel Hossa and Crosby.

Oh btw, did anyone notice Datsyuk taking it to a Pens player in the scrum at the end of the game? Gotta give the little man some credit.

Oh it was intentional, the pens are delibrately going after Franzen and Ozzie. Thing is, to me, why waste your time going after a guy who has been out for so long and is not the one burning your defenses and goalie.

Biggest disappointment for me so far, I expect Malkin to be more of a factor. He's worthless to the Pens right now.

Game 3 should be interesting, if it were me coaching, I'd put Stuart and Kronwall out against Malone/Roberts, let em do a little seek and destroy if the opportunity presents itself. Or just pummel Hossa and Crosby.

Oh btw, did anyone notice Datsyuk taking it to a Pens player in the scrum at the end of the game? Gotta give the little man some credit.
For years Datsyuk has been a magician with his puck handling...mostly due to his incredible skating ability. We're now seeing a Datsyuk who is using his speed and balance to punish the opposition first, and looking to make plays on offense second. To be honest, I think Datsyuk's physical play is wearing down the Pens mentally...and it's one of the biggest surprises in the series.

Regarding the cheap shots at Osgood and Franzen...yes, there is no doubt they were pretty sleezy, but I didn't particularly see these at attempts to take out either player...just taking out a little frustration and trying to get Detroit out of their game. Actually, I think these cheap shots will serve as motivation to help keep the Wings focused and playing physical hockey in Pittsburgh. In any case, I think game 3 and 4 and shaping up to get a little bloody...

Bring it on!!!

If I was the coach of the Pens, first thing I would do is get that little short guy who jumped in the air to hit Ruutuu, and next time he jumps, bend down and back flip him on the ice. But the first thing I would do is get Laraque and Roberts on the first shift and both charge that diving goaltender Oz. Hey I don't care if the pens lose fairly, but when your guys hold and dive and cheap shots...well some of your players should pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)