Star Choice Digital Basic Questions

311Man

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
SC has a $20 Basic Package that supposedly has 13 HD channels. Can anyone confirm that the HD channels include the US Network East and West feeds. Also the CBC HD feed is that based out of Toronto or is that determined by your location.

I am basically just looking for the US Network HD feeds and CBC/TSN for hockey and CFL fix. Any feedback on SC and this package would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is true...

East - Detroit locals
West - Seattle locals
TSN,CTV,CBC
All in HD
Plus some some SD channels
*only negative is that you can not add any other channels to this package.

Satboyz

I am basically just looking for the US Network HD feeds and CBC/TSN for hockey and CFL fix. Any feedback on SC and this package would be greatly appreciated.

I dropped my package down to Digital Basics a month or so ago. I use SC to supplement my DirecTV subscription, and Digital Basics covers the great majority of what I was watching via Star Choice...and with the exchange rate of the U.S. dollar the value of the Canadian dish was not quite what it used to be.

I find Digital Basics to be a great deal. As others have noted, the downside is that you can't add any other channels/services to the package.

I dropped my package down to Digital Basics a month or so ago. I use SC to supplement my DirecTV subscription, and Digital Basics covers the great majority of what I was watching via Star Choice...and with the exchange rate of the U.S. dollar the value of the Canadian dish was not quite what it used to be.

I find Digital Basics to be a great deal. As others have noted, the downside is that you can't add any other channels/services to the package.

I did the same for the same reasons (only SC supplements my Dish subscription). We're on the west coast and use SC to time-shift network HD out of Detroit. We don't view much else on SC, so Digital Basics is perfect for us.

I did the same for the same reasons (only SC supplements my Dish subscription). We're on the west coast and use SC to time-shift network HD out of Detroit. We don't view much else on SC, so Digital Basics is perfect for us.

Appreciate the feedback. I too have D* and was looking to utilized SC for east/west feeds in HD. I have them in SD but can't get them in HD. Also wanted CBC's Hockey Night in Canada and even CFL in HD. Doesn't look like D* is going to get us Saturday night hockey from Canada in HD so was looking at this option.

Which receiver from SC are you using?

Appreciate the feedback. I too have D* and was looking to utilized SC for east/west feeds in HD. I have them in SD but can't get them in HD. Also wanted CBC's Hockey Night in Canada and even CFL in HD. Doesn't look like D* is going to get us Saturday night hockey from Canada in HD so was looking at this option.

Which receiver from SC are you using?
The 530 HD-DVR. All the receivers in our house are DVR's - we have no patience for live TV anymore:D.

I hear ya but pricey piece of equipment for basic programming.

I agree it's way too expensive... I got a healthy rebate at the time - I think about $250 - and I ebayed some other home theater stuff to subsidize the cost. I purchased it around the time I lost my distant nets from Dish. I wanted to record network HD programming (what we watch primarily when we're not watching DVD's) early in the evening so I can zip through the commercials. Now the $20.00 package makes it that much cheaper.

It looks like they will be removing TSN-HD from Digital Basic on 2/1/08. TSN-HD will be part of the new Sports HD Pack, $1.99 for those with Essentials. Since there are no add ons allowed with DB, we will be without.

It looks like they will be removing TSN-HD from Digital Basic on 2/1/08. TSN-HD will be part of the new Sports HD Pack, $1.99 for those with Essentials. Since there are no add ons allowed with DB, we will be without.

I have seen rumors to that effect elsewhere, but no confirmation. Do you have a link to something official?

I too am wondering....

the world juniors were great in HD again this year on TSN, even though I almost had a heart attack when the tie came in the third of the gold medal game.

If they take away TSN with no warning, I will seriously consider just using DISH for locals in HD (no 118 right now).

Satboyz

TNS/RDS/Sportsnet HD will cost $1.99 extra starting Feb 1. They will NOT be available with Digital Basics
SC has confirmed to me that they are removing TSN-HD and adding the Sports HD Pack for $1.99 on Feb 1. I have Digital Basic and they agreed to add the Sports HD Pack to my account effective Feb 1. It took the rep some time to add it and I have my doubts since this is the first time I have been able to add something to DB.

Do you need to have RDS-SD to get RDS HD???

Yes!!

This is a big RIPOFF by SC after they have promoted this "No extra charge" HD for years.

It's still on their website today (January 14)
High Definition Television - Programming - Learn - Star Choice

This reminds me of that 39 cent charge for out of market Sportsnet channels a couple of years ago.

I for 1 will NOT be paying.

2 price increases in 8 months for HD subs - time for me to look at Rogers Cable.

Here is link to official SC page:
Star Choice - New HD Sports Bundle

I'm divided on what to do. On the one hand, if few signup; will this disappear over time like that 39 cent Sportsnet deal did? OTOH, I love hockey in HD.

At least SC used the Mail feature this time to get the word out.

Here is link to official SC page:
Star Choice - New HD Sports Bundle

I'm divided on what to do. On the one hand, if few signup; will this disappear over time like that 39 cent Sportsnet deal did? OTOH, I love hockey in HD.

At least SC used the Mail feature this time to get the word out.
Link isn't working for me. How did you navigate to it?

No mail for me either on 505. Is it dependent on phone line?

Last edited:
Link works for me...Dig Basic also gets TSN-HD

Link isn't working for me. How did you navigate to it?

No mail for me either on 505. Is it dependent on phone line?

Hiker:

Link works for me. Once there, there is a link towards the bottom right 'Login into Self Serve and subscribe today'. If you click that, it takes you to Self-serve login and once logged in, it takes you to a page that has a check-box next to this new package for $1.99. Also, if any of you are Digital Basic customers, it clearly states 'Cheer on your teams and catch all the action with these two great sports channels for just $1.99. Subscription to the Standard definition version of these channels is required. TSN is included with English Essentials and Digital Basic. Customers must subscribe to the Sports bundle, which includes the Standard definition version of Rogers Sportsnet, to receive Rogers Sportsnet HD.
Note: Subscribers to Digital Basic will only receive TSN HD with this bundle for $1.99.
Order early so you don't miss a single game of great HD action. You will be billed starting February 1, 2008.'

I am currently on Silver (Essentials + 3 bundles), but it is nice to know that TSN-HD will continue to be available in the lowest tier also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)