Star Trek Discovery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I will likely watch it just to see if they can redeem themselves from the (mostly) disastrous mess they made out of season 3...
Do you mean the mess they made of season 2?
If you like season 2, why not?
I skipped season 1 because of comments made here, and then started by binge-watching season 2 on demand. Once they put season 1 on CBS for free, I recorded and watched those. Well, in retrospect, both were pretty bad. Anachronistic star ship; gigantic inter-dimensional water bear (?) that kills everybody until you show sympathy, the non-canonical spore drive, loathsome episodes with numerous torture scenes, treasonous acts, or redeeming acts inexplilcably regarded as treason, and in general the most implausible story lines you could ever imagine.

I can think of many reasons to avoid this series. But the name is Star Trek, so I contemplate sending more money after bad. Maybe I'll just wait until all seasons are released on CBS and look at it then. But my TV's may not physcially survive me watching this stupid series (because I could throw things at them).

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I liked the concept of season 3, of the Enterprise going so far into the future. They did a good job of world building and laying the groundwork for good stuff to come. The biggest WTF? moment in season 3 was temporarily making Tilly Number One. But I see that as necessitated by the show's general failure of better developing the bridge crew members' characters (until they are about to die or leave or have a breakdown or something). They simply had no other featured characters to put in that role, though obviously any longtime bridge crew member would be more in line and deserving than Tilly.

Anyhoo, it's still a great ride with excellent visuals and production values. I am re-watching the entire season 3 in preparation for season 4.

Reactions: TheKrell and TRG
And, apparently, Netflix and CBS have resolved their legal dispute.

Works something like this. Netflix pre bought, apparently, 7 years of STD outside the USA/Canada. The payment was apparently large enough that it covered production costs plus a tidy profit for CBS, such that whatever it made in the USA, plus a separate deal with Bell for Canada, was gravy.

Netflix was presented with STD, and has been complaining and threatening to sue, because the show is so bad.

Apparently they have resolved their issues, STD season 4 will not be on Netflix, and the previous 3 seasons will leave it at midnight PT tonight.

Paramount Plus, which is currently legally available in only 25 countries, will have all four seasons “sometime next year”. The separate Canadian deal remains in place.

ST Picard remains on Amazon outside the USA/Canada; and ST Lower Decks remains on Amazon outside the USA/Canada and certain Latin American countries.

IMHO, this probably means STD is not long for this world. CBS certainly won’t want to spend its own money on production of future seasons.

Reactions: DialgaChampion

The series lived on Paramount Plus (fka CBS All Access) for US viewers and on Canada’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel, but the move will bring old and future seasons of the series under a single streaming umbrella for folks outside of those regions. Season 4 of Discovery had previously been set to debut on Paramount Plus in the US, CTV Sci-Fi Channel, and on Netflix elsewhere on November 18th.

The show will leave Netflix at 12AM PT in regions where it had previously been available to stream. (It will remain on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel and stream on the Crave in Canada.) All seasons of the show will become available to international viewers in 2022, the company confirmed to The Verg

Not surprising that they want to get their content under their own Streaming platform globally, with their plans to expand it.

Reactions: N5XZS and dfergie
Watched it. I enjoyed it as usual for me, although I do have a few nitpicks that I’ll withhold until others have a chance to watch.
Just put your comments in a spoiler, like this.
horta2-900x600.png

• Haha
Reactions: Derwin0
I have finally given up hope for this show. Too "woke" for me. Just no fun at all. Can't stand most of the characters, except for Book.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Overall a solid episode. My biggest issue is they keep putting Tilly in situations she clearly doesn't belong. Why don't they bring up a new chief security officer for situations like this? Burnham, as captain, shouldn't be the front line for every potential combat situation.

That never stopped Kirk! :wink
Yup. Star Trek has from the beginning had their starship captains solve every problem themselves, usually in person. I think TNG was the most realistic in having Picard stay on board occasionally, while others were sent on an away team.

The latest one was excellent and classic trek imo.
I agree, athough it had all the usual unexplained (or should I say inexplicable) plot elements that could easily have been explained with a few tweaks to the script!

Last edited: