Star Trek: Picard

Remember those "do your own poetry" kits that were a popular office gift a few years ago? You got a box of tiles with words on them and drew out some and tried to piece together a sentence that make sense.

That is this. Exact re-dos of plot elements from Search for Spock, Voyage Home, and I can identify a dozen TV episodes from all the series.

Fan service is one thing, but at least let Picard have a different dark secret than Kirk had.

And, by the 23rd century, wouldn't they have made that foolproof anyway?

Reactions: norman881
Remember those "do your own poetry" kits that were a popular office gift a few years ago? You got a box of tiles with words on them and drew out some and tried to piece together a sentence that make sense.

That is this. Exact re-dos of plot elements from Search for Spock, Voyage Home, and I can identify a dozen TV episodes from all the series.

Fan service is one thing, but at least let Picard have a different dark secret than Kirk had.

And, by the 23rd century, wouldn't they have made that foolproof anyway?
OK, I give! What was Kirk's dark secret?

OK, I give! What was Kirk's dark secret?

Well, that secret was revealed, in the second of six movies. And it wasn't really "his" secret since he had known nothing about him.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Episode 2 proves you were spot on! Even some music and sound effects were stolen. Terry Matalas has a poor track record, except 12 Monkeys, with shows he has produced or written. It was a huge mistake to chose him for Showrunner. Also, a lot of the CGI was laughable, especially the tractor beam! Still poorly written and directed, IMO.

Last edited:
Episode 2 didn't add much to the story and certainly didn't follow up on what it introduced.

A transport with multiple destinations won't ever fly with me.

Reactions: KAB
Episode 2 didn't add much to the story and certainly didn't follow up on what it introduced.

A transport with multiple destinations won't ever fly with me.
Or using a tractor beam as a Starship catapult. The most I ever cringed of all the Series. In The Ready Room, Matalas was so excited about the whole scene and said he couldn't wait for fan feedback..."It Sucked, Terry"!

Again, I enjoyed it. Ok, so throwing a starship probably wasn't the brightest thing I've seen on any Trek, but it sure wasn't the worst thing I've seen either. Vadic (and her ship) are fun. Wasn't surprised at the "Picard's son" reveal (not given the content of this thread :) ), but did enjoy the surprise reveal of "the handler". :)

Admittedly, this episode wasn't as good as episode 1, perhaps a bit too much dialogue in places, that brings this episode down a notch or two from part 1, but overall, still enjoyable for me...

Reactions: norman881
Well, its OK, but the great thing about science fiction is that the canvas is blank. You can do anything. So they have Picard steal a ship to rescue an old shipmate, taking advantage of a stiff "by the book" captain. (The Search For Spock) and finds he has an unknown adult child (The Wrath of Khan). Meanwhile the subplot is all about spies and black marketeers, which was well explored in several episodes of TNG and Voyager.

But the ending is really where it goes off the rails. "Because he's my son". Oh, OK. If it was somebody else's kid, to heck with him, but, having already committed multiple felonies, lets start a war because I'm an admiral and you're not.

Well, its OK, but the great thing about science fiction is that the canvas is blank. You can do anything. So they have Picard steal a ship to rescue an old shipmate, taking advantage of a stiff "by the book" captain. (The Search For Spock) and finds he has an unknown adult child (The Wrath of Khan). Meanwhile the subplot is all about spies and black marketeers, which was well explored in several episodes of TNG and Voyager.

But the ending is really where it goes off the rails. "Because he's my son". Oh, OK. If it was somebody else's kid, to heck with him, but, having already committed multiple felonies, lets start a war because I'm an admiral and you're not.
Trek recycles storylines, just like most shows do. I remember, many years ago, on Alias Smith and Jones, they lifted a plot, almost verbatim, from an old episode of The Virginian. Sure, characters were different, names were changed, but the entire plot was a complete lift.

With Vadic, we're seeing a pirate, a character, if I recall, from SNW. I don't mind. Throwing in an interesting villain helps make it more fun. Didn't mind seeing a Ferengi again - been a long time since we've seen one and they're almost always underworld types anyway, so no big surprise there. Shaw, as Captain of the Titan, isn't quite the same as the nameless Captain in ST:III. Sure, he's a "by the book" lame officer who seems more interested in riding out his commission in relative safety as opposed to really doing something interesting, but he did take a risk and OK, it was because the kid is Picard's son, but nevertheless, at least he did something besides slight Seven yet again (what, in two episodes, he came down on her like 6-7 times? Geez...). And sure, Picard over-ruled Shaw's order because of Jack, and sure we've seen a Commodore do the same to both Kirk and Spock, but Shaw decided to back him up rather than just capitulate to Vadic to avoid a fight. So maybe there's more to Shaw than just a mouth. We'll see.

Guess my point is: we're only two episodes in and it is shaping up to be a farewell reunion season, sure, but at least we're not spending an episode and a half inside Picard's head like we did last season (at least not yet. ;) ). So, I'm willing to cut them some slack on this since this'll quite likely be the last time we see almost the entire TNG cast back together again...

Reactions: Foxbat and dfergie
Trek recycles storylines, just like most shows do. I remember, many years ago, on Alias Smith and Jones, they lifted a plot, almost verbatim, from an old episode of The Virginian. Sure, characters were different, names were changed, but the entire plot was a complete lift.

With Vadic, we're seeing a pirate, a character, if I recall, from SNW. I don't mind. Throwing in an interesting villain helps make it more fun. Didn't mind seeing a Ferengi again - been a long time since we've seen one and they're almost always underworld types anyway, so no big surprise there. Shaw, as Captain of the Titan, isn't quite the same as the nameless Captain in ST:III. Sure, he's a "by the book" lame officer who seems more interested in riding out his commission in relative safety as opposed to really doing something interesting, but he did take a risk and OK, it was because the kid is Picard's son, but nevertheless, at least he did something besides slight Seven yet again (what, in two episodes, he came down on her like 6-7 times? Geez...). And sure, Picard over-ruled Shaw's order because of Jack, and sure we've seen a Commodore do the same to both Kirk and Spock, but Shaw decided to back him up rather than just capitulate to Vadic to avoid a fight. So maybe there's more to Shaw than just a mouth. We'll see.

Guess my point is: we're only two episodes in and it is shaping up to be a farewell reunion season, sure, but at least we're not spending an episode and a half inside Picard's head like we did last season (at least not yet. ;) ). So, I'm willing to cut them some slack on this since this'll quite likely be the last time we see almost the entire TNG cast back together again...
But can we agree thr tractor beam FX was lke out of thr 50's? Cartoonish.

Last edited: