Star Trek: Picard

I've heard the same, and that it takes place after the Romulan homeworld is destroyed and will deal with some of the fall out of that.

The bar was set at ground level with Discovery. Chabon did one of the new "Short Treks" that just came out, with Spock and Number One singing while they were stuck in the rollercoaster turbolift. Meanwhile, no one even bothered thinking about beaming them out with the transporter. That's the lack of logic and common sense that kills it for me.

Since Chabon is also showrunner of Picard, needless to say, I've got low expectations. Maybe if they were back on the Enterprise-E and they had gotten the entire crew back together, it'd be one thing, but ripping off the ideas of Tim Russ' Renegades concept, along with Bryan Fuller's previous pitch... well, I'm betting on storylines that again aren't fully explained and plot holes all over the place.

Add to that the fact they've already said the backstories of the new characters on Picard will be fully explained in the comics/books. As a producer of a television show with a 10-episode first season, that should be fully explained within the show itself. You shouldn't need to buy books to understand what's going on, leading up to the show's premiere. Look at Orville. Within the first episode, we got to meet all the main characters, understand who they were, and what the show was about. That's what a good television writer is supposed to know how to do, for any show on television, not just a science fiction one.

Add to that the fact they've already said the backstories of the new characters on Picard will be fully explained in the comics/books. As a producer of a television show with a 10-episode first season, that should be fully explained within the show itself. You shouldn't need to buy books to understand what's going on, leading up to the show's premiere. Look at Orville. Within the first episode, we got to meet all the main characters, understand who they were, and what the show was about. That's what a good television writer is supposed to know how to do, for any show on television, not just a science fiction one.

This is very common with TV shows nowadays. The books and graphic novels give you a richer experience and deeper knowledge, but it's not like you won't learn anything about each character's backstory in the show itself, particularly as they become the focus of a given episode. If they gave all that backstory in the show, people would complain the show is all flashbacks that slow the main story lines from moving forward. If you look at TNG, it's not like we got the entire lifestories of Troi, Worf, Data, Geordi, etc. in the first few episodes.

Star Trek: Picard' Renewed for Season 2 Ahead of Series Premiere on CBS All Access

The drama has received an informal go-ahead for a second season of the series, which marks Patrick Stewart's return to the Trek universe for the first time in nearly 18 years, a month ahead of its series premiere. It's scheduled to debut on Jan. 23.

CBS All Access declined comment. The informal renewal was triggered by a $20.45 million in tax credit infusion from the California Film Commission; it's one of 16 projects to receive credits for basing production in the state. (Season one also received tax credits.)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Didn't Picard premier last night? What do people think? I read a review by a critic who has seen the 1st three episodes, and he really slammed the plots.

Didn't Picard premier last night? What do people think? I read a review by a critic who has seen the 1st three episodes, and he really slammed the plots.
I read the same review, and I’ve read others that enjoyed it.

I’m going to watch this evening, but it’s available now.

Reactions: TheKrell
I read the first 3 episodes are more of the set up for the rest of the season, if so a perfect example of a show that should be binged upon completion.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I set up a timer to record it, since it premieres tonight at 9 pm on Space. Not sure if I'll like it, especially from what I've been hearing and seeing so far.

I read the first 3 episodes are more of the set up for the rest of the season, if so a perfect example of a show that should be binged upon completion.

My thoughts exactly (from what I'm hearing). Even if I do go ahead a redeem the current free month offer (code JANUARY - good through Jan. 27), I'll probably hold off and binge the first three to four episodes at the same time.

Is this being released as a weekly series?

I'll probably subscribe through Amazon Prime and watch during the free trial and cancel. :)
Good question ...

I was expecting all of it to be released at once, like most of the other streaming shows ...
Any answers from those that know ?

Everything on CBS All Access is released on a weekly basis. At least all the shows I watch.
Yup. And unless there are several other shows on CBS you're interested in, you're better off just waiting until all or most of the episodes have released before subscribing for a month to binge the latest Star Trek season.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just finished watching the premiere. I'll say this -- unlike when I watch any episode of Discovery, this time I didn't find myself shouting at the tv in anger, or feeling my blood boiling in rage, so I suppose that's good for a change. I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or because the actors this time seem to be acting better... guess time will tell.

It was a slower-paced episode, but unless I missed it, I didn't see any lens flares, shaky camera movements or awkward camera angles. And no profanity... yet... but then again, this was the premiere, so I'd assume they'd tone it down for at least the first episode of the ten.

Opening credits and theme song are forgettable though. No one will remember it. Jeff Russo should be ashamed of himself.

So far though, I'm on board with continuing to watch. Much more so than what I hope will be the final season of Discovery.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
I am a prime member
U can’t watch the episode
Just the bonus footage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What device are you using?