Starband dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
Just came across this thread and was looking into that myself. I have a starband dish we got installed on the roof as part of a reseller thing but never used it. Now I need a fixed dish on 97W and was wondering if I might be able to use that, changing the LNB out of course.

Just came across this thread and was looking into that myself. I have a starband dish we got installed on the roof as part of a reseller thing but never used it. Now I need a fixed dish on 97W and was wondering if I might be able to use that, changing the LNB out of course.

What DISH Network satellite is on 97W? You are posting in a DISH forum do you need FTA information?

The starband dish is KU so it should work just fine with no mods to it. You may have to remove/bypass the transmitter if it had one

The Starband dish is, I believe, a Channel Master 75e. As Iceberg said, it should work fine for 97W. Just use the center LNB, not the offset DBS LNBF.

I have a Starband 75e fixed on 83W. I just removed the circular lnbs that were for 110, 119 and repointed the dish. Unfortunately the starband lnb is single polarity(mine was set for H polarity). However a dual polarity replacement can be purchased at Channel Master LNBF Dual... if needed.
The 75e performs very well for me.

Do you have a picture of the dish?
Or failing that, a link to the old thread (if it had pix).

No but I could post one. It was installed late last year so very current. It does have an xmiter on it which I would remove.
Haven't looked at it closely so not sure about the LNB or how I would mount one.

>However a dual polarity replacement can be purchased

No way, so this can be done? That's kinda exciting, 97 is where I like to get my alternative news fix so wanted something that won't go out with the wind.
Since it's already aligned, would I need simply to turn it til I hit 97 or do I have to mess with height?

I mean, talk about simple, it's already up there, already wired to the basement, it would be a bonus.

In many cases, a company will have deployed more than one dish.
"Primestar" dishes are a good example.
They're just commercial molded ChannelMaster (Andrew) dishes, but are we talking elliptical?
Then, which size? Kinda depends on what area you found it in.

DirecWay and DirecPC are different. I have the former, and am uncertain what the latter is. :)
Hughes has deployed several different dishes under that name for their two-way service.

So, besides us not knowing which dish, I've also had people report the wrong name for their dish.
A picture just solves all the communications problems, and lets us all get together on the same page. :)
(I think a picture draws more members to your thread, too)

>Just use the center LNB, not the offset DBS LNBF

Before I go pulling anything down or while I'm up there, anything else I could do with this dish? I mean, maybe using a different mount or something to pick up more than one satellite in the fixed position it's going to be in. Might as well put it to good use if this is going to work out.

dish1.JPGdish2.JPG

Hope they aren't too big. If those aren't of any use, I'll have to get up on a ladder next which I'm hoping to save for alignment day :).

Looks like you have a winner. The transmitter is useless, but the linear lnb may only be one polarity still. Depending on the mount that holds the assembled piece that is there; don't move the dish, take the cable that goes or went to the computer card, and blind scan with a FTA receiver, or figure out somehow what satellite it is pointed at receiving-wise, and try to manually scan an active transponder by entering it into the FTA. Once you know what satellite and polarity you are on will determine what has to be done to re-aim the dish; then just replace the whole transmitter feed/receiving lnbf assembly with any dual polarity one, that can mount at the center of the dish at the right focal point; AND you now have FREE TV!

The two main channels I want on 97W are H but I'd certainly prefer to get another LNB which would cover more, perhaps a universal?

You mention 'just replace the whole transmitter feed/receiving assembly ' but do you mean there's something I could buy that might simply bolt in? So far, I thought we were talking about not having to change anything. Guess you mean if I want other polarities.

When we had the SB/DN contraption the Starband tx/rx was pointed to 129(I think I remember correctly) the other 2 circular lnbs were of course at 110/119 on a sidecar looking mount. I watched ION on 119 till it went scrambled and then removed all but the SB thing and repositioned the dish for 83W. Search for Gilat LNB( or maybe Gilat Starband LNB) and it will describe the LNB and how to change the polarity. The 75e is a good dish and very easy to adjust the elevation and azimuth. And again there is a dual polarity lnb available as mentioned in earlier posts that will bolt right in to the existing bracket.

Thanks to BiggRedd, it looks like you know you are on 129! If you want, you can just use the Horizontal put polarity LNB that is there, and replacing it with an LNBf of any sort will get you both polarities. Keeping the dish as it is, you can replace the LNB with the bolt-on type BiggRedd talked about which makes an LNBf or dual LNB with both polarities of the right kind; the four little bolts that hold your existing LNB are the same match for any LNB or LNBf for that kind of feed, the ones that are dual polarity (both H and V) have both with voltage switching or have two outputs, LNB style, for both polarities which need a switch attached. If you unbolt the existing LNB, and turn the existing single polarity LNB 90 degrees and re-bolt it, you will get Vertical polarities instead, but when you point to 97w, that means missing RTNews.

Last edited:
Did it bolt in or does it take mods? I'm looking for maybe a universal or something like that which just bolts in. I won't be doing anything special with this dish and it'll get pulled off the roof when we get the roof re-done probably later this year anyhow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts