Starband dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gulliksen

Original poster
May 25, 2006
I have a Starband (Channelmaster 75e) that I want to use for a fixed FTA dish.
Can I use the stock lnb? If it must be changed, which one might be used? Will it fit the bracket/mount?

Thanks

The 75e is a bit undersized but will still work for FTA..You will miss many signals with that dish but if you are going to park it on a sat that has very few feeds but alot of programming then Galaxy 19 would be just fine for that dish.

The factory lnb is a Japan Radio lnb and they are actually very good performers.Myself I would not change out the factory lnb...What you will need is a multiswitch and it can be a powered multiswitch or non powered..I prefer powered multiswitches here to power the lnb`s but it is not needed!..The Horizontal output of lnb to the 18v input and the Vertical output of the lnb to the 13v input of the multiswitch...From there you can go straight to the receiver or if you would like to start yourself a dish farm then all is needed is the output of your multiswitch to a Diseqc switch

Welcome to the FTA world and Sat Guys.

Isn't the stock LNB single polarity / single output on the Starband 75e?

Definitely keep the matched scalar/feedhorn. Remove the buc (transmitter) and cap the waveguide. Much better performance with the stock feedhorn than using a LNBF.

Performance will be greatly reduced with an aftermarket LNBF. (been there/done that) Use the stock feedhorn/lnb.
I haven't seen an aftermarket LNBF that will 'match' an elliptical dish.
Could a 2nd LNB 'take the place' of the BUC(transmitter) and *If present)'bolt on' TX filter for the opposite polarity?

The 75e is a bit undersized but will still work for FTA..You will miss many signals with that dish but if you are going to park it on a sat that has very few feeds but alot of programming then Galaxy 19 would be just fine for that dish.

The factory lnb is a Japan Radio lnb and they are actually very good performers.Myself I would not change out the factory lnb...What you will need is a multiswitch and it can be a powered multiswitch or non powered..I prefer powered multiswitches here to power the lnb`s but it is not needed!..The Horizontal output of lnb to the 18v input and the Vertical output of the lnb to the 13v input of the multiswitch...From there you can go straight to the receiver or if you would like to start yourself a dish farm then all is needed is the output of your multiswitch to a Diseqc switch

Welcome to the FTA world and Sat Guys.

I am amazed at the responses to my post-thank you,everyone.
A little more information on what I want to do.
I have the star band dish in place ready to use(mounted on a mast)
I want set up to watch pbs on AMC21 as a fixed station, one sat, one receiver, one tv.
I may get a different dish/motor on another day.
I am located in southwestern arizona. We have a very poor analog signal.

I am unclear about the multiswitch. How is it connnected? Can anyone recommend a specific model?
Thanks again

With the Eagle Aspen 270KKu that Titanium linked, you won't need a multi switch.
Although, I would recommend at least a 90cm dish for PBS on 125W. Many members have a 'tough'go' of that one. Might search the forum for PBS or 125 to read others results.
125W PBS are all, but a few feeds, DVB-S2, which needs 'better signal' to get. The elliptical could be used @ 97W as that's all DVB-S. (22Khz switch needed to operate the both via one receiver)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)