Starband vs HughesNet

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
Anybody out there that has used both Starband and HughesNet? Mostly I am looking to see how HughesNet does in the rain.

Starband does great, especially since the switch to the new bird within the past year. It really never goes out. But it would be nice to have more bandwidth and speed.

HughesNet offers more bandwidth and speed at a lesser price. Starband is great, especially in the rain and even snow. So I am curious if it is worth the risk switching for the bandwidth and speed.

Starband is better in my experience

I have used both HughesNet and Starband - in my experience, Starband wins for both the reason you just mentioned - it is hardier wrt rain - but also because HughesNet has a FAP policy that encourages users to use excessive bandwidth. The result is that there are times when speeds are reduced so much that you cannot get onto the internet, not even to do basic things like read emails. Furthermore, Hughes outsources their customer service to India and, I think, Thailand and the result is that getting assistance with technical problems that are not basic is frustrating to say the least.