Starchoice new satellite

Anik F1R will be colocated with F1 to take over the North America C/Ku transponders of F1. There will be no noticable change to what you see except a slightly higher signal level.

WOW, I knew F1R was scheduled as a replacement but are you saying that they're spending that kind of scrilla to put up a new bird with a minimum 15 yr lifespan with no increase in capacity? If so *C must have horrid management.

projectorsrule said:
but are you saying that they're spending that kind of scrilla to put up a new bird with a minimum 15 yr lifespan with no increase in capacity? .

This has zippo to do with SC. The Anik satellites are owned by Telesat (Bell Canada)

Anik F1 was 1 of the 9 Boeing 702 satellites manufactured with defective solar concentrators. The bulk of F1R costs were paid by Boeing insurance.
BTW- the money went to Astrium, as Telesat will no longer buy Anik satellites from American manufacturers due to unreliability and export requirements put in place by the Bush administration.

Doesnt AnikF1R have 8 more Ku TPs then the old bird? I am fairly sure I read that somewhere, but I cant seem to find it now.. they may be steerable beams but still pretty sure it was there..

Edit: I guess I take it back, according to Boeings site, F1 has 36 Cband, and 48 Ku Band, where F1R has 24 Cband and 32 Ku Band...

This kind of concerns me, since they are using 36 Transponders now.. (including the 5 CBC feeds and the steerable pointed at South America)

Why would they settle for a new bird that has so little capacity comparitively?

ultatryon said:
Why would they settle for a new bird that has so little capacity comparitively?

F1 has 16 N.A. Ku transponders; 16 S.A. and 16 that can be flipped to be used either north or south

Presently, F1 has 32 Ku transponders aimed at North America - 28 SC, 1 for Chum (received by SC), 1 for Netstar (received by SC) + 2 X 4:2:2 mpeg CBC transponders. These are the services to be switched to F1R along with the N.A. C band services

F1 has more than enough fuel to last it's expected lifetime. Itwill continue to be used for S.A. Ku + C Band service until the solar concentrators die.

It is highly doubtful that SC/Cancom will do any further business with Telesat in the future. Look for any new business to be with Ciel or SES Americom.

Will anything change with this "new" SC satellite foot print in the USA south?

seavu said:
Will anything change with this "new" SC satellite foot print in the USA south?

There might be a slight variation at the edge of the footprint, but all Anik F series have the same footprint to allow them to backup each other. F3 now under construction is exactly the same as F1R except it has 2 ka transponders as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts