starchoice pvr receiver

dennis12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
When looking in to this service I was told not to get the Hd PVR receiver because there was to much trouble with it not working correctly. They suggested I just get a plan HD receiver and use something to record shows. Does anyone have this receiver and have problems. Dennis

Poor Motorola engineering and inept SC firmware implementation have created what can only be charitably called "the most expensive piece of electronic garbage" ever foisted on the public.

To SC's credit they have stepped up to the plate and offered extended warranty at no charge with the MRF fee ($2.49/month for single receiver owners). This is OK for Canadian subs as they only have to pay the freight ($13) to return the broken unit - but it's a real hassle for southern subs.

It's no secret that Motorola is working on a new DVB-S2 capable DVR for SC - based on the DSR-6050 commercial receiver.

Rumours are that there will be a substantial reduction in 530 price soon.

Good question. ha-ha.

Yeah, I just spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a dish and the DSR530. I'm going to hope for the best.

I know it won't work as well as the Bell HD DVRs, but if it can get the job done more or less, I'll be happy.

Good question. ha-ha.

Yeah, I just spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a dish and the DSR530. I'm going to hope for the best.

I know it won't work as well as the Bell HD DVRs, but if it can get the job done more or less, I'll be happy.

While not being state of the art (530), it has been fine for me. I have no issues with this unit.

Its clunky and poorly designed but no issues whatsoever. I shelled out 500 hundred for this unit.

I threw caution to the wind and went for it. I was told by several people to steer clear.

While the 530 is not a "state of the art" PVR it does do the basic job okay. Certainly my Dish 622s and my TiVos (when I used TiVos) are/were much more advanced but they do not work with SC.

As Lern4483 said "Its clunky and poorly designed but no issues".

I agree with Grandpa and Lern - The 530 pales in comparison to the Dish 622/722 functionally speaking, but it gets the job done. One failed on me (a week or two after the warranty expired) but they did replace it for the cost of shipping the replacement 530. The first several months with the old unit were extremely rough with the old software. Since the new software was downloaded and installed last year, I've had little to no problems with glitchy or missing recordings.

I just got the 530 today, and it's a bit old fashioned, but hopefully it will be ok.

QUESTION though - Trick play isn't working for me. If I rewind and play a live channel, the video becomes distorted. I restarted it a couple times, and the same thing.

Recorded programs from DVR list play fine, but not rewining and trying to watch live TV, or using instant replay.

Any ideas? Will the software update fix it?

What time does the software update anyone know exactly about? I'm hoping it doesn't do i while I'm watching F1 in the middle of night. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts