Stargate Universe

Thanks for wrapping in spoiler tags. I haven't watched the episode yet, but I couldn't resist and read the spoilers. None of it made any sense when I read it, so nothing has been spoiled for me. :)

They alienated the SG fanbase by killing SGA to make room for SGU, then it was so different & dark... then NBC U puts Wrestling on Syfy instead of USA on Fridays (USA has traditionally been WWF/WWE except for a short stint) Tuesday was a poor choice, might as well have had it on in the middle of the night.

I decided to catch up on this series using Netflix. I haven't watched it since last summer. This series is just so dark, and BSG-like (and I HATED BSG) that I have a hard time getting into it. There is such a cloud over EVERY character. There is no "fun" here. There is no levity to offset the continuous gloom, doom and destruction like SG1 and SGA. I like the story, but I have a hard time getting through the story telling.

I decided to catch up on this series using Netflix. I haven't watched it since last summer. This series is just so dark, and BSG-like (and I HATED BSG) that I have a hard time getting into it. There is such a cloud over EVERY character. There is no "fun" here. There is no levity to offset the continuous gloom, doom and destruction like SG1 and SGA. I like the story, but I have a hard time getting through the story telling.
First to redress the "Doom & Gloom" elements ... I think you have to accept it as is.. just like in BSG ... which I didn't get much into ... The reason for it (D&G) think about the circumstances, think about the props ... and then you have to realize.. that's life dude.. you have to deal with with you're given ... granted some form of recreation should have been implemented, and were this a real situation I'm sure the commander would have had volleyball saturdays, or something like that to rotate the people into a make what you can of it.. I'm sure there would have been even more ideas on how to deal/cope/etc .... but the reality is.. you're on a ship .. one that is further advanced than mankind can imagine ... you're in uncharted territories and up until Rush was able to finally figure out the jumps and gate time ... they were dealing with absolutes ... must have air, must have water, must have X ... and meanwhile must investigate the ship ... etc..

It makes for a dark premise.. and the only way to make light... is to explore the characters.. it would have been perhaps more dream sequencing "back on earth" or what have you ...

Now all that said.. not everyone can look at a show like this and find the conflict of personell workable.. frankly I was glad when the Rush vs Young thing finally started to calm down into one of near equality between them ...

And with even that said.. Monday 25th's episode, would have potentially made a better stopping point in the show ... leaving the last two episodes un-aired, or perhaps for people to see explicitly through SciFi's website ... for several reasons..
1 - Mondays' show ended somewhat positive ... they had a glimpse into the first generation's life on "NEW".
2 - They found new scrubber materials thus air becomes less an issue.
3 - both good & bad, now they had reason to FIND the other settlers the ones that left "NEW" before the earthquakes, etc.. so they could get access to a potential cure for ALS.

The preview for next week doesn't leave a good impression on outcomes.. granted, finding a way to destroy the drones, would be a positive outcome, but more than likely the next two episodes would put the ship & crew at the brink .... as the cliff hanger... and NO ONE likes ending a show (for good) on a nasty cliff hanger.. (ie. he didn't get outta the cocka-dooty-car)

Figure too that if SciFi ran the last two as "unaired" only on the web, they could also get a better judge of how many people are really coming to see the show.. and to better gauge conclusional movies, or limited 3 season ... etc..

I think after this is over, there is nothing left on SyFy for me. (well, I've still got a timer for Warehouse 13 but I'm not expecting much). BBC America seems to be taking the lead in sci-fi programming these days. Doctor Who, Being Human, some dinosaur show I forget the name of, BSG,...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)