Stargate Universe

It actually surprised me in the fact that I did not expect all of the civilians ... I thought it would be a small crew of 8 or so ... more people does give them the flexibility for more plots though ... they could always pick up someone/something along the way too ...

The one thing the I did not buy was the gamer kid. Okay ... I get he is a math wizard ... but in one day he figures out how to use "ancient" technology, starts moving these camera things around, opening and closing doors via a console that no one has ever seen ... too much for me ...

This is the one thing that I found lame in Atlantis ... I forget the guys name, but in the show he was from Canada and seemed to ALWAYS figure things out ... being raised in Canada ... okay ... Canadians are smart ;) ... but that smart ;)

Back to SGU ... if they keep the show "darker" (like BSG) where its based on people's RAW emotions ... like the one soldier sneaking food into his packet for example ... while small it was a pure raw emotion and makes you wonder what will happen. If they make it too "campy" though and all of a sudden find a garden room in this ship with showers and rest rooms ... and may as well throw in a medical center with all of the medicine they need ... too much.

It has promise ... I hope they keep it real ...

+1

I never watched SGA or SG1. Finally watched my recording of SGU last night and agree with a lot of your points. That thing about Eli, the Wiz-kid, is the sort of thing that really bugs me. I know they had to make him useful, but come on...

When I sampled an SGA episode a couple years ago, it just seemed a bit cheesy, campy and less sophisticated compared to BSG, so I couldn't get into it. Like you, I hope SGU has a darker edge to it. Now that we can't rely on the big networks to keep a good sci-fi series going for more than one season, if they don't outright kill it before it even airs like V, syfy shows seem like the only way I'm going to get my fix these days.

The one thing the I did not buy was the gamer kid. Okay ... I get he is a math wizard ... but in one day he figures out how to use "ancient" technology, starts moving these camera things around, opening and closing doors via a console that no one has ever seen ... too much for me ...

Well the video game was in ancient... He had to figure out all the puzzles in ancient (or basic ancient or something like that was said). They probably had simulations of the ancient control panels in the game too. Essentially he was training for who knows how long on ancient device simulators...

Well, evidently they've got power problems too, since Rush freaked out about the power issues when the Col. tried to dial the gate...

So, if the ship has power problems, but self-dials gates after jumping out of hyperspace and then only gives them 12 hours before it's going to go back into hyperspace...won't the ship eventually run out of power too?

Here's another one that bugs me: they jumped ONTO a moving ship. Wasn't it rather quite well established on SG1 that they couldn't jump onto/off of a moving ship because the address was no longer correct? Oops!

If I remember right he was going to dial Earth, that would need more power than a nearby gate. Also the one guy said he told the computer they needed supplies so the ship wasn't dialing gates before they got there.

If I remember right he was going to dial Earth, that would need more power than a nearby gate. Also the one guy said he told the computer they needed supplies so the ship wasn't dialing gates before they got there.

Right, I understand about the ship not dialing gates until Rush told the computer that they were running out of stuff (like air, power, etc) and then the ship dropped out of hyperspace and dialed the nearest gate. Okay, so why not dial Earth once they're on the surface? Take everyone down at the next decent planet and dial home. If the Asgard can send O'neill back home from another galaxy via the gate, I'd think Rush and the Wiz-Kid could figure it out. ;)

Simple, because so far there is only one planet with enough power to dial between our galaxy and wherever they are... and that one blew up in a quite impressive way.

Well I guess technically one can dial an eight-symbol address from anywhere, but it does require more power than the average gate has available to it.

That's the question that they've sorta answered... When B'aal modified the gate (helping Sam and her dad) to dial all the gates across the galaxy at the same time, in order to eradicate the replicators...I would imagine that took a decent amount of energy...but of course, no one speculated about that in the series...

They sure are trying hard to get the BSG look/feel about it...

Well, they lost 3 people last night and got some air working... What was the little "pod" that detached from the ship at the end of show all about? Something foreshadowing next week maybe?

Sorry I didn't use the spoiler tags earlier...

Last edited:
I wonder how often they are going to "rotate" people out? With the long range communications device, you could go on "shore leave" and have someone else on the ship. They could have guests like Rodney from SGA visit to help consult on the ancient technology.

I wonder how often they are going to "rotate" people out? With the long range communications device, you could go on "shore leave" and have someone else on the ship. They could have guests like Rodney from SGA visit to help consult on the ancient technology.

And what happens if one of them dies while the bodies are switched. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)