Starz and Dish Reach Deal

jbcheshire said:
More info on that Vongo stuff...
Found at www.vongo.com
It is separate from Dish and Starz subscriptions...
"Yes, you must subscribe independently because Vongo is a separate, online-only Membership or Pay Per View video download service."

Supported portable devices:
"Vongo supports devices operating version 2 of the Microsoft Portable Media Center (PMC)."

I am not for sure what that is and how you tell if your PMP has it.. Does anyone else know???
Doesnt the 211 have a "unused for now" ethernet port?

Starz is about to become more useless then Showtime ( Showtime at least has boxing and a few TV Series ) because they lost the contract to show new movies from Universal and New Line to HBO, that leaves only Disney and some Sony Movies ( but not Columbia, they still have a deal with HBO, Columbia is the branch of Sony that produces the Spidey movies and others ) on Starz.

HBO's B.O. harvest
Beneficial output deals keep cabler in green

HBO will harvest a record 12 theatrical movies from 2005 that each grossed more than $100 million in U.S. theaters.

Starting with 20th Century Fox's "Robots," which chalked up $128 million in domestic box office, the movies will flow to HBO, its Cinemax sibling and their 13 multiplexmultiplex channels throughout this year and into 2007.

HBO gets the year's biggest U.S. grosser in Fox's "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" (at $380.3 million), as well as Warners' "Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire" ($289.7 million), plus four others that each pocketed more than $200 million: U's "King Kong," New Line's "Wedding Crashers," and Warners' "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Batman Begins."

The five other $100 million-plus grossers in 2005 that HBO will pick up are: Fox's "Fantastic Four," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Walk the Line"; DreamWorks' "Madagascar"; and U's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

The dozen 2005 blockbusters put HBO well ahead of its two pay TV rivals. Starz gets five that reaped $100 million at U.S. multiplexes, including Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," which racked up $289.8 million. Showtime picks up only two: "War of the Worlds," which wound up the fourth highest-grossing movie of the year in the U.S., at $234.28 million, and "The Longest Yard" -- both from Paramount.

"All of the planets have converged for HBO, which has chosen the right movie studios to do output deals with," said Bob Levi, a TV consultant and former president of worldwide planning and acquisitions for Turner BroadcastingTurner Broadcasting.

Levi said HBO will be able to get 280 individual exhibition slots for each of the titles for use across all 15 HBO/Cinemax channels, covering a period of about 14 months in the first pay window. Each of those slots could encompass three runs of the movie if HBO and Cinemax schedule the runs within a 24-hour period.

Theatrical movies have lost some of their pay TV cachet, victimized by ancillary markets like DVD/homevideo and video-on-demand pay-per-view, which have ballooned in the last few years. But HBO still relies on movies to fill the timeslots of up to 65% of its schedule.

It was a no-brainer for HBO to renew its output deals with Warner Bros., its Time WarnerTime Warner sibling, and Fox, and sign new contracts with Universal and another sister company, New Line. HBO also has ongoing relationships with DreamWorks and Regency.

In addition to "Narnia," Starz gets Col's "Hitch" and "Fun With Dick & Jane" along with Disney's "Chicken Little" and "The Pacifier."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940371?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2573

ralfyguy said:
Dish called me yesterday, about 5 days after I got my 622 installed. They asked me if I want to add Starz to my subscription for $7.00 a month, since I was a customer in good standing. I have Dish since October 2005 and had AT120 with HBO/MAX and SHO on a 625. Now I have Dish HD Silver with HBO and SHO, and after I took their offer, now also Starz for 7 bux a month. Anyone else got this Starz deal offered?

That's a one dollar per month discount from their standard package. If one gets HBO and SHO for $22.99 a month, then you can add Starz for a total of $30.99/month. So the standard fee for HD Silver, HBO, SHO and Starz is $90.98. You are getting a good customer discount down to $89.98.

If you upgraded to HD Platinum you'd have a better deal. You'd pick up all of the additional AT180 channels, including Encore. You'd get Cinemax. And you'd lose your DVR fee, as that is bundled with Platinum. It's $99.99 a month.

Last edited:
Paradox-SJ said:
Out of the premium movie HD channesl...StarzHD is the worst. Almost nothing is OAR and a large percent are just upconverts but they are improving on on the latter. They at least tell you know if something is TRUEHD or not.

Their April schedule is attached

That schedule is much better than what I saw from them a year ago. It looked like quite a few of the movies are now TrueHD.

As movies are my big HD thing, making up about 80% of my HD viewing, I'd love to have this channel.

Tom Bombadil said:
It is better, but not that good. Many late night Showtime movies are shown in upconverted SD.
At least Starz upconverts tend to be 16:9. Showtime trys to sneak by a ton of 4:3 on their HD channel when they think we aren't watching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts