Statement from Dish Network on VOOM Takedown

I suspect sometime today or tomorrow you'll see Rainbow in court to get an injunction to stop them from removing the channels.

They already tried and failed, and I have thought for some time DISH wanted to terminate the VOOM contract, now it seems certain. DISH has a good case.

I think as soon as VOOM goes dark on DISH, you will see a bunch of HD premium channels lighting up.

:up Nothing like watching Transformers in HD on Max-E and then getting to do it all over again on Max-W!!! :D

My mother-in-law is visiting this week and I think she's sick of the movie already.

It's funny, I came away with exactly the opposite impression. I had Transformers recording so I could archive it to the EHD. After watching for awhile I noticed all the pixelation and compression artifacts. It looked pretty good IMO, but to me the DVD looks better on my set.

I'm curious as to how many people would have watched these Voom channels if they were SD? In other words, were they watching for the content or for the pretty pictures and surround sound?

I'm curious as to how many people would have watched these Voom channels if they were SD? In other words, were they watching for the content or for the pretty pictures and surround sound?
Old question, still stupid. Search before posting...

Thanks for not helping! I do not believe the question is stupid and is relevant to the takedown.

Sorry - I tried unsuccessfully to convince the last person who asked this question that the content is very watchable regardless but even more so because of the high quality filming and the OAR and commercial free presentation.

The "stupid" comment is because I'm not happy about the stupid direction Dish is now taking us and not about you.

Dish has "taken down" several channels in the past and it was always over contracts, not viewers. This is the same for the Voom Channels. In order to prevent a complete revolt, Dish has left 5 channels up but at least Charlie has said today, they will all go away.

When DirecTV added the satellite and more programming, didn't they bump up all of their HD-Lite to full HD (i.e. 1920x1080i)? Is Dish Network going to do the same or are we still looking at 1440x1080i or even worse 12??x1080i?

Thanks,

Hmm...seems like their new HD pricing now no longer makes sense. Removed 10 (soon 15?) channels, added 3.

How many other HD only channels are there to add to the $20 package to make it worth the extra $10? Mojo was supposedly uplinked twice. What's left?

OR, are there any channels with HD versions that AREN'T available in SD on DISH that could be added? (like they did with NHL Network.)

Hmm...seems like their new HD pricing now no longer makes sense. Removed 10 (soon 15?) channels, added 3.

How many other HD only channels are there to add to the $20 package to make it worth the extra $10? Mojo was supposedly uplinked twice. What's left?

OR, are there any channels with HD versions that AREN'T available in SD on DISH that could be added? (like they did with NHL Network.)

They could move HD Theater, HDNet, and MHD to the Ultimate package. Those don't have SD counterparts that air the same programming at the same time. There could be others, but the only other HD channels that I'm aware of that don't have an SD counterpart are MOJO and the Voom channels.

I watched WorldsportHD to see Spanish soccer La Liga. I am a huge fan and will change providers to see it.

Voom was unique programming that wasn't the cookie cutter duplication we are seeing with the new channels. How many East West Family Comedy Extreme copies of the same feeds do we need to get to 100 HD channels.

If the only reason to provide commercial free programming is because its popular then I guess all we can look forward to is more movies and old rerun series.

They could move HD Theater, HDNet, and MHD to the Ultimate package. Those don't have SD counterparts that air the same programming at the same time. There could be others, but the only other HD channels that I'm aware of that don't have an SD counterpart are MOJO and the Voom channels.

Good point. That would piss people off too, but it would make more sense and be more equitable. How did MHD wind up in there? I thought it was just HD NET & HD Theater just because they were kind of "grandfathered in" from the old HD Pak days.

If they could straighten things out with Fox, they could add Fuel in HD only. They could have done the same with Chiller HD if they hadn't just added the SD version. (Did they ever get the HD feed off the ground? It was supposed to be in March.)

Did Wealth TV finally die? Seems like that was an early HD only channel.

Dish has "taken down" several channels in the past and it was always over contracts, not viewers. This is the same for the Voom Channels. In order to prevent a complete revolt, Dish has left 5 channels up but at least Charlie has said today, they will all go away.
Bingo. If they wanted to eliminate channels that are "less popular" with viewers, a dozen or so shopping channels instantly spring to mind.

Bingo. If they wanted to eliminate channels that are "less popular" with viewers, a dozen or so shopping channels instantly spring to mind.

I don't think Dish pays for those, most likely exactly opposite. (is why FTA can watch these channels without subscription) But nice try. :D

I swear to God Scott over the last 5 months I thought WFN-HD was a joke... well it's still a joke... and actually the fact that it really exists is even funnier.

We get WFN not because people want to watch it, but because they are owned by a company that has channels we do want to watch Properties | Insight Sports Ltd.

Plus now Dish is majorly partnered with Canada DBS providers, and probably has to carry the content. It was probably WFN or the Curling channel...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)