Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

Living in Jamestown, NY. Called CSR at Windstream/Dish today. Dish CSR is sending out a tech tomorrow to switch satellite position for $15. Sticking with 622 duo receiver. Might get rid of the second standard receiver and switch to HD only. I think I can save a bit of money on that. Any thoughts?

Galoot

P.S. Saving $25 on the Windstream side of things with a new package. Fingers crossed.

The installation went well. New dish on the garage, switched out the old 322 for a 722 duo receiver. Tech replaced the old cables. All is well and I'm watching a Monty Python movie on Retro.

Living in Jamestown, NY. Called CSR at Windstream/Dish today. Dish CSR is sending out a tech tomorrow to switch satellite position for $15. Sticking with 622 duo receiver. Might get rid of the second standard receiver and switch to HD only. I think I can save a bit of money on that. Any thoughts?

Galoot

P.S. Saving $25 on the Windstream side of things with a new package. Fingers crossed.

How would you switch to HD only and save money? Eliminate one TV?

BTW, glad to see you got your setup changed successfully. Quite a difference going from second-class status to first, no? :)

Third call in the past month from E* telling me I need a repoint to continue to receive my programming. For the third time I've had to tell them I have a 1000.2 and don't need a repoint. Where I need the repoint is in Florida where I have the hybrid setup: 110/119/61.5. I suppose when I go back down next fall, they'll insist I have a 1000.2 there and don't need a repoint. *Sigh*

How would you switch to HD only and save money? Eliminate one TV?

BTW, glad to see you got your setup changed successfully. Quite a difference going from second-class status to first, no? :)

I've never really been clear on whether or not it is possible to go all HD without one of the base packages. At any rate, the new set up is nice. We have one HD television with the original 622 that transmits to the bedroom. The new 722 is in the basement on a TV/DVD set and also transmits to a set in the back room. Now the kids can record on their DVR and I can record on mine.

Finally hooked up a DSL cable to the 622 for on demand programs.

I can't say enough good things about Intertech, who have done all of our Dish installations and fixes.

Also, I wouldn't have asked for the change in satellite dishes had it not been for all the pioneers on SatelliteGuys that detailed their experiences. I didn't get any runaround from the CSR. He only put me on hold for a few minutes and came back with the $15 installation fee and a next day house call. You guys must have worn them down. Very smooth.

Enjoyed "Peep Show" and "That Mitchell And Webb Look" on BBC America in HD last night. Also watched "Top Gear" for the first time.

Well, wish me luck. I am scheduled for an "8am to noon" appointment.
The rain gods weren't cooperating as the skies had opened up Tuesday morning and the Dish Installation tech said his company's rules prohibit him from going on a roof if it's wet. So, we rescheduled for Saturday afternoon. At least he was able to do some site lines and confirmed that 129?W is out of the question.

Stay tuned...

Trying today, finally, to set this up, and of the four CSR's I've talked with so far I've gotten four different answers about why I can't upgrade.

I'm outside of Buffalo right now with a 61.5/110/119 setup. The latest told me that they would repoint 61.5 to 118 and that would take care of everything. This is not true, right? I thought that all the new HD channels are only on 129...am I wrong on that?

Previous CSRs told me:

1) it's only a problem if you aren't getting your local channels????!!!!
2) You only need the upgrade if you're on the west coast
3) I would need to purchase and activate a new 722 before they would agree to change anything

All have insisted that there are no new channels not carried by 61.5.

I swear they have a checklist of BS that they go down until you've exhausted every excuse.

Trying today, finally, to set this up, and of the four CSR's I've talked with so far I've gotten four different answers about why I can't upgrade.

I'm outside of Buffalo right now with a 61.5/110/119 setup. The latest told me that they would repoint 61.5 to 118 and that would take care of everything. This is not true, right? I thought that all the new HD channels are only on 129...am I wrong on that?

Previous CSRs told me:

1) it's only a problem if you aren't getting your local channels????!!!!
2) You only need the upgrade if you're on the west coast
3) I would need to purchase and activate a new 722 before they would agree to change anything

All have insisted that there are no new channels not carried by 61.5.

I swear they have a checklist of BS that they go down until you've exhausted every excuse.

I don't know if Intertech serves your area. If they do, give them a call and they might be able to get the wheels turning at Dish.

A sticking point is the receiver upgrade. I still have a 625 (along with a 722) running two SD tvs. They want to go 1000.4 and switch the 625 for another 722, but I upgraded within the last year and they won't upgrade again as a lease.

But isn't there a two-dish solution that would work? I have two dishes now, one at 61.5 and one at 110/119. My HD locals are on 61.5. If they went 1000.2 and 500 would that give me all the coverage I needed without having to switch the receiver?

A sticking point is the receiver upgrade. I still have a 625 (along with a 722) running two SD tvs. They want to go 1000.4 and switch the 625 for another 722, but I upgraded within the last year and they won't upgrade again as a lease.

But isn't there a two-dish solution that would work? I have two dishes now, one at 61.5 and one at 110/119. My HD locals are on 61.5. If they went 1000.2 and 500 would that give me all the coverage I needed without having to switch the receiver?

yes.

I am an Eastern Arc customer now. I did not need to worry about the installer wanting the old stuff as he wouldn't go up on the roof due to safety regulations. So, now I'm a real SatelliteGuy with three dishes on the roof! (I'll remove the Dish 500 and 300 along with the DP34 Sunday.) I'll post pictures of the install later, but I think they did a great job.

It's going to take some time for me to check out all the new channels. I did get to watch Doctor Who in HD tonight! :up Is it possible to have too much HD?

I called a couple of weeks ago and wound up speaking to someone in India who kept telling me I hadn't replied to "my letter' in time, so I would have to pay $100 for a visit from a tech. Of course the fact that I never received any letter had no effect whatsoever. Then she wanted to sell me the extended warranty protection for $6.50 a month and I could get a visit for $15 to cover the insurance cost. Of course if I cancelled that plan they would hit me with another big charge.
Arguing that I shouldn't have to pay anything to receive the services I was subscribed to (after missing the new HD for almost 3 months) also got me nowhere.
Finally I told her stick some curry where the sun doesn't shine; called my friendly local retailer/installer who came over and put me on the eastern arc for $25. I gave him $50 figuring he just saved me at least $50 over those dickheads at dish!!!
Me mad? Nahhh....not too much.

I called a couple of weeks ago and wound up speaking to someone in India who kept telling me I hadn't replied to "my letter' in time, so I would have to pay $100 for a visit from a tech. Of course the fact that I never received any letter had no effect whatsoever. Then she wanted to sell me the extended warranty protection for $6.50 a month and I could get a visit for $15 to cover the insurance cost. Of course if I cancelled that plan they would hit me with another big charge.
Arguing that I shouldn't have to pay anything to receive the services I was subscribed to (after missing the new HD for almost 3 months) also got me nowhere.
Finally I told her stick some curry where the sun doesn't shine; called my friendly local retailer/installer who came over and put me on the eastern arc for $25. I gave him $50 figuring he just saved me at least $50 over those dickheads at dish!!!
Me mad? Nahhh....not too much.

Service plan would have been $15 for the call plus $6 for one month of the plan plus $25 to cancel, a total of $46. You overpaid with the tip. :) Seriously, they should not be charging for this afaic.

I'll post pictures of the install later, but I think they did a great job.
It took a little longer than I thought, but here are the pictures I promised.

Attachments

• P5170025.jpg
    P5170025.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 182
  • P5170024.jpg
    P5170024.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 160
  • P5170026.jpg
    P5170026.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 152
  • P5170021.jpg
    P5170021.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 154
  • P5170027.jpg
    P5170027.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 160
  • P5170022.jpg
    P5170022.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 175
  • P5170028.jpg
    P5170028.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 161
"A small number of Customers?":rolleyes:
I called yesterday morning. Took one phone call. Tech is coming out this afternoon to replace my Dish 500 ( 110/119 ) w/ a 1000.x. Wing 61.5 will stay in place, since that's where I get my HD locals. $15 charge since I have the protection plan. Will follow-up once the work is completed. You will lose channels, once the work order is submitted. I lost most of my channels.

:cool:I install dish network an have been doing it for 5 yrs what alot of customers are not told is that only certain dishes will go in certain areas, 129 has such a low elevation that it will only go in places that have a clos. even the new 1000.4 has places it will not go an its elevation is 49. sometimes 110/119/61.5 is your only option, so don't be surpised if the tech tells u that

It took a little longer than I thought, but here are the pictures I promised.
I second that on the grey cable. I had to hand 3 such cables to my installer before he budged from his God-awful black twin w/guard which wouldn't work in my installation anyhow because I have 3 receivers.

Speaking of which, why didn't he install a 3rd cable down to that ground block? Save you from roof work when you add a 3rd receiver.

Hi there I am a new user on your site and am in deep need of advice and help. I have the 110/119/61.5/121 setup currently.

Dish is coming out tomorrow to install eastern arc.

I only want them to connect the 72.7 and replace my old 61.5 dish so that they can use the new connection on the ea

but I don't want to install 77 at this time and want to keep my 110/119

Will this work for me I really need to get some advice before they come out tomorrow morning if I need to have the order canceled or not.

Please help,
Armand
no 72 and 110 will conflict with each other i've had happen on several occasions

I second that on the grey cable. I had to hand 3 such cables to my installer before he budged from his God-awful black twin w/guard which wouldn't work in my installation anyhow because I have 3 receivers.

Speaking of which, why didn't he install a 3rd cable down to that ground block? Save you from roof work when you add a 3rd receiver.
I think they left a pigtail connected to the 1000.4 LNB (the length of coax that exits the arm and loops backs in) so I should be able to run a third line to another receiver. Since I have only two receivers, though, they wouldn't put in a DPP44. Chances are my family will make it through the next decade without adding a third receiver.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)