Static IP with a dual wan router.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
We have a dual wan router with dsl as the primary wan 1 port, and cable as the wan 2 port. The router is enabled to load share as long as both wan's are up, if one goes down the other takes over full control. A public static ip is setup on wan 1 of the router. We have two pieces of equipment we need to be able to access remotely: 1. A server with web port access 2. A phone system for remote VoIP. Both are behind the NAT on the router. The server is no problem, I can setup a dyndns account for wan 2 for a secondary port login on it. The problem is with the phone system. If the dsl goes down we lose the remote phones which can potentially be a big problem. They would have to be reprogrammed with the address the dyn account is pointing to at the time in order to work, which is not really an option. The router does not have the ability to do a one to one connection or to loopback from wan 2 to wan 1. My question, is there a router with the capability to allow a static address to continue to be see able from the outside through another connection, even if the connection the static is tied to goes down?

grohgreg said:
If you have 4G available - 3G probably isn't fast enough - you might consider one of the business routers from CradlePoint Business Users | Cradlepoint Technology. They are dual WAN: one RJ45, one USB2. I've got the MBR-900, but if I understand your description correctly - I'm thinkin' the MBR-1000 might better satisfy your need.

//greg//

He is talking about dual wan sharing cable and dsl. Not cellular.

I have the router and services already. I just need to know if there is a way to keep the static IP we have with the DSL see-able from the outside if the DSL router goes down. On our router WAN 1 and WAN 2 do not communicate with each other. I need to know if there is a router that will or if it is even possible.

Don't think anybody can help you without at least first knowing which make/model router you're currently using. Because what you want to do - if even possible - would have to be a function of the user interface.

What I was trying to get across originally, is that CradlePoint sells dual WAN routers. The user interface on my MBR-900 permits me to specify a static IP for each WAN ports, but I don't have the other resources to conclude whether or not it will perform a port failover with a common IP address. Their MBR-1000 business router is even more sophisticated, so - if the 900 can't, perhaps the 1000 can. And high on the list of why I picked a CP router is that they don't outsource tech support. But first
(a) a usable 3G/4G signal must be available to the router. If yes, then
(b) you'd have to actually confirm that specific MBR-1000 failover capability with CradlePoint. If yes, then
(c) it would mean giving up either your cable connection or your DSL connection in favor of 3G/4G

//greg//

To do this you would basically have to work with your isp's to see if they will implement BGP routes for your ip address.
I work for a business focused internet service provider, and we do this all the time for customers.
A lot of big business will have multiple connections coming in as a backup in case one of them goes down, and we can work with the other provider to make sure that if 1 of the connections goes down, our router will accept the connections and reroute them, or vise versa if we are the primary.
So basically it can be done, but it needs to be done at the ISP's border routers.

I would be interested if anyone knows of another way to do this on the client side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)