Stay with Fios or go back to DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qposner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Hello,

I have had Fios internet since Aug, 2008 and switched to Fios for tv as well back in Feb or so. I have suspended my DTV account for the last 9 months but that ride is over next week. Anyhow, I am trying to decide if I should stay with Fios or go back to DTV. DTV has a much better DVR (that is a big deal to me), but less channels for the $ (# of channels is a little less important since there are only a few I watch anyhow). Price is pretty important to me. Any chance customer retention at DTV will provide me at least $200 in credits to stay, thereby offsetting my approx Verizon ETF?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I have had Fios internet since Aug, 2008 and switched to Fios for tv as well back in Feb or so. I have suspended my DTV account for the last 9 months but that ride is over next week. Anyhow, I am trying to decide if I should stay with Fios or go back to DTV. DTV has a much better DVR (that is a big deal to me), but less channels for the $ (# of channels is a little less important since there are only a few I watch anyhow). Price is pretty important to me. Any chance customer retention at DTV will provide me at least $200 in credits to stay, thereby offsetting my approx Verizon ETF?

Thanks!

They might provide some retention in credits to stay. i can guarantee Verizon won't.

Hello,

Thanks!

I think DTV will bend over backwards to keep your business.
They use to do this.
Customer service has slipped recently so Im not possitive.

If your not into sports..Stay with Fios.

I would love to have fios...Unfortunately Im in Uverse territory (Inferrior product)

I dont have Fios, my buddy does. He raves about the HD quality and amount of channels.
Plus, Im told they are constantly adding new HD.

I have Direc tv. To me their Dvr is one of the worst units I have seen to date.
I do like the software upgardes but units are to damn slow and clunky.

Stay with Fios!

DTV has a much better DVR (that is a big deal to me), but less channels for the $ (# of channels is a little less important since there are only a few I watch anyhow).

Geeze, I wish I even HAD the choice of FiOS to pick from. :eek:
I'd keep the FiOS, but why don't you see about getting an HD Tivo - it will work with ALL the FiOS linear channels, & is way better than their DVR. Keep 1 FiOS digital box for the on-demand stuff the Tivo can't do.

Geeze, I wish I even HAD the choice of FiOS to pick from. :eek:
I'd keep the FiOS, but why don't you see about getting an HD Tivo - it will work with ALL the FiOS linear channels, & is way better than their DVR. Keep 1 FiOS digital box for the on-demand stuff the Tivo can't do.
Ditto...stay with FiOS TV and get yourself a TivoHD. There are a number of us former D* and E* customers who have FiOS and TivoHD (in the Verizon FiOS Forum) and we are extremely satisfied with the service.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I will keep Fios for internet for sure. But, I HATE their DVR and the guide data provider is TERRIBLE. I also can't afford the $ for an HD Tivo at this time. Plus, I am concerned about the potential Frontier deal in Oregon (Verizon may sell off everything). If DTV will give me retention credits, I may ride out that contract and perhaps come back to Fios. Plus, with child #2 coming, my wife REALLY wants Baby TV back and you cant get that on Fios. Also, I miss the sports on DTV (big college football fan). I don't know, guess I have to flip a coin!

As for PQ difference, Fios SD is much better than DTV. I cant really tell a difference with HD.

As for PQ difference, Fios SD is much better than DTV. I cant really tell a difference with HD.

thanks for the info qposner

don't watch much SD anymore
but was hoping fiber would be good for something for me, on the HD front.
BIG sports guy myself. you should see the HD i get on my old big dish.

I have no exp. with Fios but I am very happy with DTV
If your are a sports guy it is a no brainier go with directv

Good Luck

I have no exp. with Fios but I am very happy with DTV
If your are a sports guy it is a no brainier go with directv

Good Luck

Agree, I think that's why a lot of the satt sports fans have DTV. I have FIOS 'net and landline phone svc but won't switch to their TV unless things change with sports choices.

One more notch for DTV: I just found out PlayOn works with the HR20. I have an old crappy Dell laptop that I could dedicate to running PlayOn.

Stay with FIOS Bundle pricing between the both can't be beat.

I'm with D*, but I would switch to FIOS in a second, if I had the option. An option I'll probably never have, since I'm in a rural area.

Verizon thinks WA and OR are "rural". Thats why they are trying to sell to Frontier. In the end, I went with DTV for tv and stayed with Fios for internet (20/5 plan). The Verizon said there would be no etf since I am going with a new 1 year contract on the internet. Plus, DTV is knocking off $20/mo for 12 months and 6 months Showtime and Starz. If I stayed with Fios for tv I would be paying $20/mo more and I would have a $240 etf with DTV. If I end up wanting to go back to Fios, I can do it without any expense at a later date.

Thanks for all of the input! :up

Verizon thinks WA and OR are "rural". Thats why they are trying to sell to Frontier. In the end, I went with DTV for tv and stayed with Fios for internet (20/5 plan). The Verizon said there would be no etf since I am going with a new 1 year contract on the internet. Plus, DTV is knocking off $20/mo for 12 months and 6 months Showtime and Starz. If I stayed with Fios for tv I would be paying $20/mo more and I would have a $240 etf with DTV. If I end up wanting to go back to Fios, I can do it without any expense at a later date.

Thanks for all of the input! :up

good for you.

DTV great choice a real no no brainer as it ended up.

240 12x12
120 movies
240 off bill

$ 600.00 nice

enjoy the sports

Ditto...stay with FiOS TV and get yourself a TivoHD. There are a number of us former D* and E* customers who have FiOS and TivoHD (in the Verizon FiOS Forum) and we are extremely satisfied with the service.
OK ,Just to clairify, You seem to recommend using Tivo Boxes with Fios Service? Correct?
If I had the option to go with Fios, Which many including myself ,don't have the option at all to do so. What would 3 Tivo HD DVRs cost me upfront ,and what would the addtional monthly fee's cost me?

I currently have 2 Vip 622 and 1 722k. I want to keep the same setup 3 rooms HD DVR and 2 SD DVR. The 722 is only used in 1 room in single mode.

Last Time I checked Tivo 100 hour HD DVR cost $600.
Thats $1800 for 3 room of HD DVR.
Worst case for a 5 room setup with D* 3 HD DVD 2-SD DVR would cost you $800. Thats if No discounts are givin.

My E* Setup at worst would cost $750 for 2 leased and 1 owned HD DVR.

So my Question . Is paying $1000 extra in DVR's Just to have a decent DVR selection worth the difference in HD PQ. I say no! Fios is about $50 better the D* and $75 better then E* in HD PQ.
Yes you'll own these Tivos, But they will never work with any Satellite company, and only some cable companys ever give you the Tivo option.
So if I have to pay for Verizon Fios, Then pay Tivo $600 to buy a GOOD HD DVR, Whats Verizon going to give me for not using their crappy HD DVR?
Not starting a fight with you, But why would using Tivos make any sence,over using D* equipment,Service,and HD PQ.?
I think a Channel line up and slightly better HD PQ, isn't enough to settle for poor equipment, and to put it nicely, Unpredictable,technical and customer service department.

I think a Channel line up and slightly better HD PQ, isn't enough to settle for poor equipment, and to put it nicely, Unpredictable,technical and customer service department.

Another reason I went back to D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)