STB Loosing Satellite Signal?

jailbird

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 11, 2004
Sorry if this has been brought-up before, but I did a search and I didn't find anything real straightforward.

I have two STBs. Probably around once every day or two, one of them will say that the satellite signal has been lost, and the little dish LED on the front of the STB turns red. If I go and look at the other STB, it's working fine!

If I unplug the problem box and plug it back in, it'll come-up fine and find the signal. This happens with both STBs, so I don't THINK it's a hardware problem. I'm wondering if this is a new firmware bug?

I don't mind it too much (I probably will when I loose a recoding on my ReplayTV because of it though), but it's driving my wife crazy!

Thanks!

Do you mean that you swapped both receivers and it was doing the same in the good one? Do you have a diplexer installed? It could be a bad LNB or a Diplexer. I would replace the diplexer first. RS sells them.

I mean that both STB's seem to do this. When one goes out, the other one still works. Once I unplug the one that went out and plug it back in again, then it starts working again. I don't think I've ever had both go out at the same time.

Luckily our installer didn't use diplexers. He ran separate cables for the antenna and the dish. I even bought a multiswitch like Installs, Inc. asked me to get, and he didn't even use it.

Thanks!

Don't mean to bug anymore, but has anybody else seen this, or do I just have a bad STB?

Just trying to keep from calling VOOM to get a new STB only to find-out the problem is a firmware/software problem and a new STB won't fix it.

Thanks!

Don't know if this will help but my wifes brother had the same thing happen , so he called Voom they came out and replaced the box , a few days later it started doing the same thing so another service call and they sent a different installer , well this guy went through all the wiring and when he got to the back of the box that was having the problems he found that the end conntor was just pushed onto the RG6 cable so it wasn't making a good connection all the time, in other words the installer never clamped the connector to the cable on this box so you might want to check it , just go to the back of the box and pull on the cable and see if it pulls out of the box and the connector .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)