OTA STB Time Bomb?

This is why I am greatful I still have my directv HD box. I just plug my antenna into the direct boxes instead of Voom, and they scan for channels.

Indy said:
No guide data, no OTA channels to tune to.
This statement is incorrect. If the box has not been disabled, as long as you have the OTA (DMA or Super-DMA) map and as long as you have the scanning capability, you can tune to OTA channels whether you have the PG data or not. The program guide has nothing to do with that. There are people who have been using their STBs for OTA only for almost a year now. No PG, but still getting all OTA stations.

Mark Kays said:
This is why I am greatful I still have my directv HD box. I just plug my antenna into the direct boxes instead of Voom, and they scan for channels.

This is why I am grateful I will have an LG 4200A HD receiver next week so I can get my ota channels regardless of what happens to the Voom receiver.

Ilya said:
This statement is incorrect. If the box has not been disabled, as long as you have the OTA (DMA or Super-DMA) map and as long as you have the scanning capability, you can tune to OTA channels whether you have the PG data or not. The program guide has nothing to do with that. There are people who have been using their STBs for OTA only for almost a year now. No PG, but still getting all OTA stations.

I'll take your word for it that the receiver will receive ota. It has been amusing reading the "yes it will, no it won't" posts here for the last few weeks and longer. Along with the in depth explanations as to why it will or will not work.
Most people probably want a simple yes or no.
In the end, somebody will be right and somebody will not be right, or to put it pointedly, WRONG!
But opinions are like "noses", everybody has one.

elocs said:
Most people probably want a simple yes or no.
The answer isn't that simple. Past performance is not indictitive of future results. No one on this forum can do more than say what they EXPECT based on a few cases - all of them pre-shutdown. The world changes in about seven days (and I don't EXPECT the final answer will be granted at 12:02 next Saturday either).

Say "your box will work" and you will have a dozen posters scream that their box isn't working. Say "your box will not work" and you will have a dozen posters gloat that their box is still working. The only correct answer is "your box may or may not work" post 4-30-05.

JL

elocs said:
I'll take your word for it that the receiver will receive ota.
That's not what I said. And if you've been following this discussion in this and other threads, then you should know by now that there is no one simple Yes/No answer to your question... ;)

justalurker said:
The answer isn't that simple. Past performance is not indictitive of future results. No one on this forum can do more than say what they EXPECT based on a few cases - all of them pre-shutdown. The world changes in about seven days (and I don't EXPECT the final answer will be granted at 12:02 next Saturday either).

Say "your box will work" and you will have a dozen posters scream that their box isn't working. Say "your box will not work" and you will have a dozen posters gloat that their box is still working. The only correct answer is "your box may or may not work" post 4-30-05.

JL

That's a reasonable answer. So how about a simple yes, no, or maybe? It does not really matter to me because I am getting another receiver. I guess what is funny is the absolute certainty that some post that it will or will not work.

Ilya said:
That's not what I said. And if you've been following this discussion in this and other threads, then you should know by now that ther is no one simple Yes/No answer to your question... ;)

Ok. It is interesting to read some post that they are sure it will or will not work for whatever reason they cite. It's a moot point for me since I do not intend to depend on it. So either it will work, or it won't work, or it will work for awhile, or it will work for some, but not for others for whatever reason. Or Voom says send the leased boxes back and then it does not matter if it works or not. That covers most of it, doesn't it?

Hey elocs, thanks for throwing cold water on our debate. ;) It sure was alot more fun debating which new channels were coming. Anyhoo, I'm getting Adelphia cable hooked up on the 30th but I'd still like to have an OTA receiver in case their local feed PQ is bad. (fingers crossed)

Plasmata said:
Hey elocs, thanks for throwing cold water on our debate. ;) It sure was alot more fun debating which new channels were coming. Anyhoo, I'm getting Adelphia cable hooked up on the 30th but I'd still like to have an OTA receiver in case their local feed PQ is bad. (fingers crossed)

I'm glad to be of service, but no need to stop on my account--there are still 6 or so days still left. I wouldn't turn down a working ota receiver even if I am getting another one. Maybe the receiver will still work if they plasmorize the reflective tribblewonky. Or maybe that is why it may not work. Oh well.

Ilya said:

Ilya, this is how I see the architecture of the software hard ware interface of the Moto Voom STB.

Voom treats all signals including OTA as sat signals controlled by the same circuitry and by the smart card. So if the smart card is not authorized you have no channels that you are authorized to watch. So the 64K question is will the boxes remain authorized after the shut down. My guess is they will not and thus no OTA.

Dish differentiates between OTA and Sat signals not controlling access to the OTA by the smart card.

"Maybe the receiver will still work if they plasmorize the reflective tribblewonky."

And that's not easy to do. First, you have to get it parallized to the horizontal, and then after that, you'll need to make sure there are no yabbies left in the jabber code.

:)

Lob

I'm switching to Comcast on the 30th, therefore, when Comcast arrives for install, is it as simple as switching the existing cables form Voom into their box, and then
I can switch back to see whether I may or may not be receiving a signal?

Lobstah said:
"Maybe the receiver will still work if they plasmorize the reflective tribblewonky."

And that's not easy to do. First, you have to get it parallized to the horizontal, and then after that, you'll need to make sure there are no yabbies left in the jabber code.

Lob

Lobstah, that is EXACTLY what I have been trying to say all week long! Thanks for putting in to words the rest of these guys can understand! ;)

sabo2 said:
I'm switching to Comcast on the 30th, therefore, when Comcast arrives for install, is it as simple as switching the existing cables form Voom into their box, and then I can switch back to see whether I may or may not be receiving a signal?
No, your current wires are coming from the roof (from the dish), while the cable wires are most likely coming from the ground. I don't know how your house is wired, and whether any of the existing wires can be reused, but no it's not as simple as switching the box. ;)

Thanks, Ilya. Unfortunatley, I'm clueless trying to understand the electronics and connections. All I know is that Voom ends the 30th,therefore, I 'm going to Comcast. I had "D" before Voom, total waste.

Lobstah said:

Lob

I think you have to verticalize to the horizontal, then de-yabbyize the jabber code and hope that the plamorization of the reflective tribblewonky is not getting interference from the marconian wave extractor. See-- wasn't that simple?

rc811002 said:
I think you have to verticalize to the horizontal, then de-yabbyize the jabber code and hope that the plamorization of the reflective tribblewonky is not getting interference from the marconian wave extractor. See-- wasn't that simple?

Huh!??? I thought the marconian wave extractor interference was not an issue any longer with the addition of the relectivre properties of the tribblewonky? Or was that not accomplished with the newest jabber code yibber dipper modulation equation? :confused:

Bottom line is that if they're using v1.4 of the jabber code, it no longer relies on the time domain reflectometer, so the wave extractor doesn't enter into it.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)