Stealth Primestar install pt1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Today I visited a friend down near Birmingham, fellow I worked with for about 15yrs who got me interested in c-band tv in the good old days. We have been plotting to install a dish for him to taste fta-tv with, as his wife hates satellite dishes in HER yard lol. In one remote corner of the yard is a c-band pole, that he had mounted a dishnet dish on when they moved there in 2002. (Yes I helped him with that too). Its on the far side of the adjacent lot, which is part of their property, I guess 150' or more from the house.
Was planning on giving him one of my dishes and a receiver so he could 'see what its all about'. We planned on putting a primestar pipe down inside the c-band pole, and filling it with quickrete, but , sorry the pole was already full of concrete lol.
We cut the pipe I brought, an orig primestar install pole, in half and with some big brackets mounted it to the top of the c-band pole after removing the unused Dish500. He knew of a primestar dish on a local church's property so we went by the church and asked about it. Pastor says "I'd be glad for you to take it down".
Little dirty, moldy but a perfectly good ChannelMaster 1.0M with the 2 output lnbf.
Once he cleans it up and paints it, he's supposed to buzz me and I'll go back down and align this one for him on G18. Hope there's still some channels on it !!
Then, if he wife hasn't noticed the slightly larger dish out there, I'll get him a motor on the way and we can make it a full setup. Of course that is a big "IF" lol.

I remember this guy and his situation from before. :(
You gotta get us a picture, buddy!
Fine score on the 1.0m Primestar , too! - :up

Sounds to me like he needs to get a new WIFE, and he can put whatever he wants to in the yard.
Or just do it anyay and tell her to deal with it...........
then again, sometimes it IS cheaper ta keep her.

There's a lot of variables here lol, I hope it works out though, or I might not get invited for Christmas dinner this year!

If it was me, I'd load a 10 footer on the trailer and show up early one Saturday morning, when I know she is home and tell him "We're going to need a bigger pole to get this thing looking out over the roof. Either that or put it right about here" as I mark the center point of the front yard.
I've been told I have a mean streak...........

:D - I'm beginning to like this Mel-guy! - :D

You should see some of the rude things I've suggested here on the forum! - :eek:

I am fortunate. I get to do pretty much anything outside, within reason. Inside is another matter. I have my extra bedroom setup as a electronics 'shop' and do ALL my playing there. It's the rules. The 4D and OTA box is part of the living room equipment and seldom disturbed for hobby purposes. The only thing I get to 'roll out' is tried and true, pre-configured setups, no experimenting in the 'common area' (unless she goes to bed before me.....hehehehe)
I talk the talk but at this point it is cheaper to keep her for me. There is a window, after the kids are grown, no child support, but before locking in on plans to pool retirement and SS income. If you miss that window, it is definately cheaper to keep her.
BUT I told her if she says one more thing about the CJ5 up on blocks in the front yard that's it - IT'S OVER! It's only been there since last deer season........or was it the season before.......AWW, just kidding, it's actually a Cherokee......hehehe
Besides, I dont have time to fix it right now woman, I've got to figure out where I want to put these other three C banders! You dont understand, they are counting on me on satguys to get these two Birdviews and this 10' mesh installed so I can take pictures.
You know, priorities and all..........

You guys are such a sorry lot :)

My wife is from Switzerland and was a serious world traveller before we met. With four kids it's not easy to do that anymore. The 3m went up partly to help keep her connected with all the places she's been and exercise all the languages she fluently speaks. Unfortunately it was too successful and I wasn't getting very much dish time.

So I went tail between legs and asked if I could add a couple of smaller dishes. Approved. I struggled with where to hide them. She figured this out and told me to stop wasting time and put them where they would work best. They're in full view and that doesn't cause any problems.

The kids started liking the FTA channels, too, and that again limited my access. I found a 2.4m on Craigslist and meekly suggested this might solve some of the contention problems. Her reply was basically "get in the truck and we'll go pick it up". While we were driving back, she was spotting and taking notes on all the other BUDs in the area.

I think I'll be burned out putting up dishes long before there would be any pushback from my wife. Perhaps she's a FTA'er at heart and thinks it's great the stuff goes up without even asking.

I truely cant complain, no seroiusly I CANT complain, it's not allowed.......lol j/k
The long and short of it is that I'd be worse off without her, I know this. She knows I know this, That pretty well squelches any further discussion of options and possibilities.
She got really mad at me one time and I didnt see her for days.......then the swelling went down in the right eye a bit and I could make out a few things. The problem was that she told me to shut up, I thought she said STAND UP, so I did.
Not long after that, I had her down on her hands and knees......it was plum pathetic. Yeah, you should have heard her......she kept saying, "Get out from under that bed and fight like a man you Sumbitch!"
Now I've got to hurry and hit send before she comes over here and looks to see what I'm doing..........SHHHH

Stealth Install Aborted

Have hit a stump with this install. Something both of us should have thought of in the very beginning, to check out. Went back at lunch today, got the dish set, and about 10min found G18, nice video on H and V channels both. I started making up cables for the 3x4 switch (he wanted to use the orig lnbf since it had a weather-cover). THE PLAN, was to use the already-buried cables from the prior c-band dish that was removed , and given to me!, in 2002. He'd already had a DN dish there but disconnected it when he put the quad thing on his newer dish mounted on the roof. He's got Dishnetwork everywhere in that house lol.
The story in a nutshell, old RG6 was crap, no good, rotten, looked like it had been lightning-struck maybe, braid almost turned to dust trying to strip the insulation off. Twin Rg6 run, a motor-wire , 5wire cable and a sep polarity-motor cable, 3wire.
Other wires are ok but RG6 won't carry a signal. Its all in plastic pipe run, according to him, around 5 diff bends and corner, so little hope of pulling any out or in.
*It was interesting, but we are on hold until we figure out how to trench 150' invisibly!

hook up a vacume at one end and twine at the other and pull you some good rg-6 through
if you want you can coat it with a lube ( yeah they make the stuff for pulling wires lol )

Can't move the old stuff out of the pvc--goes thru too many turns. No way I can see to get that old cable slick so it would move and it wasn't big enough to have room to 'vacuum' a twine thru it. Orig owner never thought to use big enough pvc for conduit.

Can't move the old stuff out of the pvc--goes thru too many turns. No way I can see to get that old cable slick so it would move and it wasn't big enough to have room to 'vacuum' a twine thru it. Orig owner never thought to use big enough pvc for conduit.

I have my cables in the same black pipe. All you need to do, is take a flat bottom spade, and cut a line as close on top of the pipe you can, through the sod. Then, pull the end of the pipe UP, and ZIP it out of the hole like a zipper!

When you are done, you can either rethead new wire inside the same back pipe, or run new larger-sized pipe with new wires (include a string, or poly-rope for future pulls). Make sure everything works fine, then you push the pipe back down into the ZIPPED cut line, and walk over it flattening it back down by stepping on it. If it's real dry, water it a little bit. It'll heal nicely, and you won't even be able to see it shortly.

I applaud PrimeStar's great idea! - :up
But if your plastic pipe has twists & turns, ya may need a metal detector to find where it goes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)