Still have sync issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hotrod Lincoln

Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
I haven't posted since I upgraded to D*HD with H20 rcvr installed. There are still sync issues- most noticeable on HD programs. I have tried component video, and HDMI connections to the Sharp 37" LCD; audio for now is fed to the display's spkrs.
I hoped the HDMI connection would resolve sync issues- since dig. audio/video signals in rcvr. are converted to analog component, and stereo audio, then component re-converted to digital for the display (audio stays analog). HDMI would only have one conversion of audio to analog, sof if anything, sync would seem to be video leading audio. Not the case; I then tried a professional analog audio delay line which did
help, but has no remote, so every channel change required re-adjustment. May have to consider a receiver with built-in delay, adjust. from remote. I accept that my LCD display may be causing some of this due to latency in proc. signal, but I don't get the same issues with a DVD conn. via analog component. At this point, I'm sorry I went to all this trouble.

Does anyone know if MPEG-4 will resolve any of these sync issues?

Hotrod Lincoln said:
Does anyone know if MPEG-4 will resolve any of these sync issues?

What make and model receiver are you using now and what firmware?

I have 2 HD units and 3 SD units and none have any lip sync issues. All are MPEG2 and of the 4 or 5 people I know that have H20's 2 said they never had any lip sync issues and the others said they did, but that the latest firware solved it. We all run COMPONENT VIDEO OUT direct to the display and AUDIO OPTICAL OUT to multi-channel A/V units (for the HD setups).

HD1 LG LSS-3200A
HD2 Zenith HD-SAT520
SD1/2 Hughes HNS HAH-SA
SD3 Sony SAT-A4

Sync issues are caused by connecting video and audio feeds to seperate componets, and not done correctly or using the wrong inputs 99% of the time. It sounds like a monitor in line and the audio in line to the receiver are conflicting. But I can't see the way the system is wired.

af1964

In regards to the H20 HD receiver...there are problems nationwide with this issue right now...just read the DTV forums under HDTV...98% of all owners of the H20 have lip sync problems with their local HD stations with this receiver...DTV is supposedly working on this problem but don't believe it as they are just replacing one H20 for another with the same results...however,it seems as though the ones made in Mexico are better than the ones made in China or Korea...as you can see, there is a problem here...also, these units tend to get very, very hot and they do not have a fan to cool the hot circuit boards...I put a 1 inch thick x 4 inches piece of glass
wide under my H20 unit, put a fan in front of it to keep it cool and got better results...if only DTV would listen to their customers and what needs to be done to fix their H20 receiver...also, this is the mpeg 4 with the 5 lnb dish that is now required when the H20 is installed.

Last edited:
I also have the same issue. It is bad enough that rather than using the HD local programming, I have been using the local antenna HD feed to watch locals.
I am an original DTV customer from 1994 and they have really blown it with this HD "upgrade". I have talked to customer service about all kinds of H20 issues over the past few months and every level of customer service acts like I'm the only one in the country that has a problem.

Mark

Charper1, I have the H20 receiver, no mfr. indicated, but on back says "mfr.# 600", date 1/13/2006. It's an MPEG 4 rcvr. with an input filter to allow receiving MPEG2 signals.
I don't know the software ver. it's running.

scotsmanron said:
I've got the problem only on occasion.

I've never seen a company that listens less to it's customers than D*.

i know of one, Comcast in philadelphia area, i am not totally happy with directv with pic quality but comcast here is horrible

I recently "upgraded" to D* HD and I get sync problem occassionally with the H20 with HD content. Mine is a "600" with 0F06 software with an AT9 dish. The problem is definitely in the H20- my OTA signals (via an antenna on the roof) will get out of sync every so often as well going thru the H20, but switching to the OTA tuner in my TV I never see any sync problems- ever. When using the H20 it is very sporadic- not all HD channels are out of sync, and it's never the same channel that is out of sync. From the H20 I'm using component video connections to the TV and Toslink to my stereo. When I use the OTA tuner in the TV, I am using a Toslink connection out of the TV to the stereo for the audio.

I'm in the process of upgrading to HDTV (haven't bought a HD TV yet) and I'm also a Direct customer.

Is the sync. issue as bad as decribed or is it more hit and miss? Does it affect locals more than ESPN?

Would I be better off waiting a few months or is this a problem that will be corrected soon?

Thanks for any advice.

Big Dog said:
I'm in the process of upgrading to HDTV (haven't bought a HD TV yet) and I'm also a Direct customer.

Is the sync. issue as bad as decribed or is it more hit and miss? Does it affect locals more than ESPN?

Would I be better off waiting a few months or is this a problem that will be corrected soon?

Thanks for any advice.
I also have problems but feel it is worth the upgrade. My problems as you say are hit and miss and not really that bad most of the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts