Still the phone company... can't even order

iKramerica

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I have never dealt with a more inept provider than Verizon in my life. My Mom wants FIOS. Her 2 year old neighborhood in Florida has FIOS. Her neighbor has FIOS. I've been trying to order for 3 days. I'm now giving up.

First, the automated online system says online ordering is not available. The 800 number insists on asking for her current verizon phone number. She has none. She's trying to set up service, after all. Their system can't handle this.

Eventually you get connected to "somebody." Always in America, but usually can't help. You must call another number.

Verizon FIOS has multiple call centers and phone numbers around the country, and none of them can talk to the other. Their computer systems are not linked. Some list my Mom's address as "not available" while others confirm it is available. I have twice finally gotten to the right office and been 1/2 way through setting up her service when their phone system hung up on me the first time, and I was put on hold the second time and then their system decides I'm on hold "too long" and kicks me back to the original call center that then tells me that the "office is closed." I was on hold for 30 minutes before the office closed...

I've talked to San Antonio, Atlanta, and a few other places. All of the CSRs are well aware of how bad their service is, and have told me they get complaints all day, but all they can do is tell their supervisors.

Once I did get connected to the Tampa center, and they were great, but that was on my information seeking call, and the company policy is to provide NO WAY for customers to call or contact a CSR in the future. The CSR can call you, but you can't return their call or email. And unfortunately, that CSR changed jobs the next week (to the business side), but said her replacement would help me out. He called me once, promised to call back the next day after I confirmed good install dates with my Mom, and he never did call back.

I would love to call the Tampa regional office directly, the number most people have said I should call. But if I call Verizon 800 numbers, they don't KNOW the number for the regional office (or claim not to know it). Since the address comes up as inconclusive on the internet search they do, their website refuses to even tell them the local office to call.

I'm pretty tech savvy and can tell that a lot of the issue here is that their internal phone system is not designed correctly. Pretty sad for a phone company. The rest is a compartmentalization issue, where they don't want the division intermingling and they don't want CSRs receiving personal calls, but when you are involved in sales, not being allowed to provide any way for customers to reach you ever again is poor, poor, poor customer service policy. Phone company circa 1975 poor...

People complain about the cable company service, but I am not comfortable giving my Mom this Verizon customer experience, when I know that Brighthouse may not be great, but they are at least easy to reach.

I had no trouble getting it setup on the phone the day after it came available in my area, and they included several calls back to make sure they had the details right.

Now working out why the bill is almost twice the promised rate may take a while. :)

Brad

Yep, a bad experience that many of us have shared. When I stopped their phone service and went to voip- oh my gosh, for months my billing was a nightmare, some CSR's insisted that I had to have a phone number with them to access anything, other CSR's and tech's gave me 3 different numbers to give... and on, and on. Just horrible. It took six months to rectify it (now they have an option if you don't have a landline).

So even if you get the install, pray you never need to call for assistance.

Well I signed her up for brighthouse. It costs more, but I've dealt with them in Sarasota before. They are pretty good about customer service, and replacing a faulty cable box (which they have a lot of, especially DVR boxes) is easy with them. Stop by their office, swap it. Simple.

Verizon FIOS is a great technology, but the company behind it seems to be the same old phone company. My sister got FIOS for her business (Internet and Phone) and it was a hassle to get installed. She likes the service, but she was lied to during the sign up as some of the promised free features are either not free or not even available, or don't work with Windows Vista.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)