Strange Cursor Movement

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
I hope I can explain this problem I am having. When I am browsing "my recordings", the screen will show the refresh led bar and then the cursor will jump to the top left button which is the Primetime Anytime button. This is a pain when I am down the list of recordings.
This same type of problem occurs when I am browsing my timers list.
I have called Dish about this and they have not heard of the problem.
I have two Hoppers and they do the same thing.

So when you click on a tile, and then go back it takes you back to the top? If so, that should be normal.

Sounds like a memory issue I would pm a dirt member and have them either submit a report or send a replacement.

They all do it when you have more than one Hopper in your network. The more Hoppers you have the more they do it. There's nothing wrong with your system. If you unplug all but one of your Hoppers the problem should go away. If a single Hopper does the same thing then you have another problem.

They all do it when you have more than one Hopper in your network. The more Hoppers you have the more they do it. There's nothing wrong with your system. If you unplug all but one of your Hoppers the problem should go away. If a single Hopper does the same thing then you have another problem.
When I reduced down from 4 to 3 HWSs the remote control delay/freeze issue got a little better. It sure is irritating but I don't want to give up the Hoppers integration.

Reactions: JSheridan
When I reduced down from 4 to 3 HWSs the remote control delay/freeze issue got a little better. It sure is irritating but I don't want to give up the Hoppers integration.

When I went from 3 Hoppers to 2 on the same network it became much less annoying but it still does it. I don't think this 'feature' will be part of the new UI. :)

I was talking about the screen refresh that happens once every minute on the DVR list, timer list, etc. which usually happens when PTAT is recording with more than one Hopper on the network.

I was talking about the screen refresh that happens once every minute on the DVR list, timer list, etc. which usually happens when PTAT is recording with more than one Hopper on the network.

That's very interesting. I never thought about the problem existing because I had two Hoppers. Maybe I should have connected the dots since it was happening on both Hoppers. It does seem like Dish would be aware of this. The said they had no complaints regarding this issue.
Are there other multiple hopper owners that experience this?

It does seem like Dish would be aware of this.
Good chance they are aware of it. From what others have posted, it seems that it's simply a "memory" issue (a lack of RAM) and not much Dish can do to fix that on the existing hardware short of some serious optimization of the software code. Ultimately, it may be a situation where only a small number of households have more than one Hopper (shocking, I know) and the priority is lowered because of this.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good chance they are aware of it. From what others have posted, it seems that it's simply a "memory" issue (a lack of RAM) and not much Dish can do to fix that on the existing hardware short of some serious optimization of the software code. Ultimately, it may be a situation where only a small number of households have more than one Hopper (shocking, I know) and the priority is lowered because of this.
Thanks Hall for a good possible reason for the issue. I think you are correct. Hoppers use to work great till one of the software updates caused the remote control delay/freeze headache.

Hoppers use to work great till one of the software updates caused the remote control delay/freeze headache.
If the delay didn't exist in the past, then it's probably something Dish can actually correct. If it's always existed with 2+ Hoppers, then my original answer applies better.

If the delay didn't exist in the past, then it's probably something Dish can actually correct. If it's always existed with 2+ Hoppers, then my original answer applies better.
No telling what is going on. I know I didn't have the remote control delay/freeze issue till around software version S512 update back in October 2014. Before S512 I was running with 4 HWSs and there was no delay/freeze issue. When I reduced down to 3 HWSs the issue got a little better. To me, it acts like a memory issue. When it acts up about the only thing that works is pressing the Menu button twice to go to the System Info screen. In the screen it says no remotes connected or paired or something like that. When the Hopper catches up, the System Info screen shows all the remotes that are paired with the Hopper and the remote control starts working normal again. I wish DISH would fix the problem. My wife gets pretty irritated when nothing happens when she presses a remote control button. I get blamed for the problem. Please help DISH! :eeek

So is this the same issue as when I'm watching a program and hit Pause and it takes 15 seconds to react? And if it hit Pause a 2nd time thinking the 1st one didn't take, both are executed back to back when the 15 seconds are up? As an experiment, what if I turn off bridging and hook all 3 Hoppers to the internet directly. I have no Joeys to worry about. And maybe pull the jumper between the 2 nodes and see how the one Hopper on the node by itself works then? Ideas?

Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts