Strange DTV signal problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackpup

Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a very puzzling problem. Right now we have an HD receiver that works fine. We have 2 satellite lines coming in and either one will work on the receiver. However, when we try to hook up a DVR (HR10-250) we get no signal from either line. DTV came out a couple days ago and he gets no signal from either line on his box. How can we be getting a signal on one box but not another? Does anyone know of anyway to solve this problem or what to look for so we can get the DVR working? The issue doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me. I would think a cable either get a signal or it doesn't but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Thanks for any info/advice.

A satellite receiver sends 12 or 18 volts out to the LNB on the coaxial cables. Is the HR10-250 sending out the necessary voltage. That is my guess, why 1 receiver works and another dosen't.

No, we have 3LNB. DTV wouldn't install a new dish because we can only receive HD in the fall/winter after leaves come off trees. We have the same type DTV/Tivo downstairs and it works fine. Strangest thing to me is that DTV said no signal too. He was very surprised we got programming on the other receiver

Is there a way to test the voltage coming out from the receiver? I tried the receiver in another room and it works. It is just in the new area we are trying to install that it says no signal.

I would call Directv and have them upgrade your dish to the 5 LNB. How long ago did they not want to put up a 5 LNB? The reason why I suggest this, its the future dish for all HD and it might solve your problem. At least it would get another installer out at the house. By asking for retention group, see if you can get an HR20 out of the deal, and keep one HD Tivo in a room that works. But then, the new dish might fix the problem. Also the Ka/Ku multiswitch might fix the issue with the HR10-250.

It was just a little over a month ago that they refused to install the new dish. We had 2 different installers come by and they both said they couldn't do it unless they could receive HD signal which we knew they couldn't do until the fall.

Where are you? There is spotbeam coverage just about everywhere with the Spaceways. Locals may not be there but there should be a signal to align too. I had mine installed BEFORE locals where even launched in my market. The installer was trained to use a specific transponder to align and he definately nailed it. I had mine installed almost 2 years ago.

I am in Alexandria VA (just outside of DC). The problem is we have some really big trees surrounding our house. Believe me, we tried everything we could and the the installer tried many different locations and just couldn't get a HD signal. We get our local HD over antenna so really our main concern is just getting the DVR working rather than getting DTV HD programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts