strange phone call about my account

dan188

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Elmira, New York, United States
i got a phone call fromm the dish sals and marking dept. i was asked what my fav channels are and what kind of programing i watched. then i was offerd to be upgraded to at 250. they said it was added but it nevor was. i talked to dish custorer support and was told no such call was made and dish does not do these kind of calls to sustomers. anyone else have this happen to them. the person who called me knew what package i had and my name. dish said they are looking into it. has my account been hacked or something???

Calls like this are what makes Caller ID something I can't live without.

If it's a number I don't recognize, I simply don't answer. If it's important enough, they can leave a message, and I can choose whether or not to call back. If I do call back, I use a number I know and trust, not just any old number they leave on voice mail. The only exception is if it were someone needing my help that I know.

99% of important calls, I already know what they're about. The other 1%, they'll call back if it's important enough, or, if it wasn't, where's the harm in not answering a call, what am I losing? I am no worse off than I was before the call was made.

Some "old-fashioned" people seem to want to answer the phone no matter what number it is, just in case it's "important." Well, they also seem to be the same people that either get caught up with crooks, or at the very least give crooks a reason to keep bothering them.

Call me paranoid, but I think that's just the way it is in this day and age. I don't think too many people would disagree with this either.

Sorry to be off-topic, but I think it's kinda relevant to this thread, but please know that I am by no means giving a lecture, I'm just stating my opinion.

Again, as I stated, in that case I would still not answer, and I would call a known number, even if that means the same number they just "called" from. There are VERY easy ways to spoof Caller ID.

That being said, it probably was most likely a retailer, and as far as DISH not knowing about this, it's probably just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

As long as you didn't give any critical personal info (CC#s etc.) then I wouldn't worry too much.

Does Dish ever call its customers like this? I got a call from them yesterday asking me if I was interested in upgrading my package. I told them I was satisfied with what I have now and that I wasn't, and that was the end of the call. The call didn't seem scammy or fishy at all to me, but now I'm starting to wonder...

That being said, it probably was most likely a retailer, and as far as DISH not knowing about this, it's probably just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

As long as you didn't give any critical personal info (CC#s etc.) then I wouldn't worry too much.

Why would a retailer call to upgrade his package? Retailer gets nothing for it.

I agree. Makes no sense that a retailer would call to up your package. Makes no difference to us retailers and we can't change it for you anyway.

Same here. If I don't know the number, I will at most screen the call. I never answer.
I have a very cynical view of people in general.
I also think the safest answer is "No, I am not interested"....I am an advertiser's/salesperson's worst nightmare.
I mute the volume during commercials and refuse to even acknowledge any sales pitch. If I want something, I'll buy it. I cannot be sold anything.

I would think it was Dish. Only they would have any interest in what your programming is and they would know your account. Or, it was your neighbor and they have a receiver tied to your account and they tried talking you into getting a higher package. LOL. I kid.

I'm looking into this some more. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow.

I do know that we have been trying to get our customers to upgrade programming, but want to make sure that we're doing outbound calls for this as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts