Strange Resolution Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
First my set up. I have native off and all the resolution boxes checked on the DVR. Now my strange occurrence. Last night I was flipping through my different resolutions on my HR21 (480i stretch, crop, etc then 480p stretch, crop and so on) while I was on SD and HD channels. About the forth time I was switching through them I went from 480p’s last selection then it of course switches to 720p next and then I had this blue hue on the TV. Peoples faces had this blue hue and also at the bottom where is shows what resolution your on which is normally white lettering was now showing in a orange box, weird. When I switch from 720p to 1080i it went away. I tried to repeat this problem by cycling through them all but it wouldn’t do it again. But around the forth time of trying to repeat it I was on 1080i and I couldn’t get past 1080i. It just kept repeating through the 1080i selections. So I went into setup and my native was turned on. I never turned it on. Some how it turned itself on so I turned it back off and of course was able to cycle through the resolutions again. It sounds like a glitch in the dvr somewhere that caused this blue hue and the native turning itself on. What do you guys think?

It could be that your TV doesn't support progressive scan at 720 or it could be just a glitch; either way it doesn't seem like a serious problem. I don't know why you have any 480 resolutions checked as they seem useless on an HD set. I use 1080i on my favorite set (only does 1080i & all the 480's) & 1080p, 1080i & 720p on my most advanced set. I use those setting on the later set because I switch to progressive scan for sports which usually means 720p. Definitely keep native off if G/I speed is of any importance to you.

It could be that your TV doesn't support progressive scan at 720 or it could be just a glitch; either way it doesn't seem like a serious problem. I don't know why you have any 480 resolutions checked as they seem useless on an HD set. I use 1080i on my favorite set (only does 1080i & all the 480's) & 1080p, 1080i & 720p on my most advanced set. I use those setting on the later set because I switch to progressive scan for sports which usually means 720p. Definitely keep native off if G/I speed is of any importance to you.

Not sure what progressive scan is but I could never duplicate the problem again. It’s on my panny 50pz85u. That’s what I think, that it was just a glitch with the dvr. Maybe its software? Hardware? One other thing is when it happened; when I switched from 480p to 720p it was present through all the 720p resolutions. Not until I switch to the next resolution which was 1080i, it went away. Maybe it reset itself because when you switch from one resolution to the next the screen goes blank for a second when it switches.

when I switched from 480p to 720p it was present through all the 720p resolutions. Not until I switch to the next resolution which was 1080i, it went away.

Sounds to me that you discovered / answered exactly what jtwex was saying; your display doesn't support 720P?

jtwex said:
It could be that your TV doesn't support progressive scan at 720

Sounds to me that you discovered / answered exactly what jtwex was saying; your display doesn't support 720P?

It must support it. It was fine the next time I went through all the resolutions, including 720p. Another thing is this is a 1080p set. Wouldn't it support 720p? Also looking at my specs on my set it says it does Progressive Scan. I'm still leaning towards a glitch in my DVR.

Last edited:
It is not his set IMO. It is a new panny plasma, it should support up to 1080p. I am going with DVR glitch

Someone else on another forum brought up that this sounds like a handshake issue that caused this weird experience. I have never had any handshake issues before so I didn’t even think about this. Probably a one time glitch that I will never see or be able to produce again.

I have experienced this issue as well. Have HR21 and AM21 connected to Denon 891 to Panny set...all HDMI connections.
Strange that we all have panny sets.

I notice this happens when I go from HD Channel from antenna (AM21) to non-HD Channel. Blue faces, orange Guide and menus.
If I toggle back quickly it goes away. But wait about 30 mins and I'm able to duplicate it pretty regularly.

My set def does 720p.

HR21 issue here? Should I call DTV and try to score an HR24 replacement ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts