Strange results with FTA on BUD and 4dtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
I have a 4dtv and viewsat extreme. Like most, I use the 4dtv to position the dish and depend on the servo to position the "skew" or polarity. (odd or even 4dtv channels)

I recently did a rescan on G10 and noticed that I was getting channels on BOTH H and V polarity. The 4dtv was set to a "virtual" channel (like above 22). I am now wondering how the Virtual channels have the polarity set...could it be that the polarity settings is also "virtual" (on the virtual 4dtv channels) That would be a dream come true!!!!

I was going to dedicate a 30" dish for FTA but the 8 ft BUD does so well with FTA that I am staying with it for my FTA!!!

MODS...I realize that this is both a C band AND FTA post...wasn't sure where it belonged again!

Have been pretty silent in this forum since my FTA has been just flawless for the past few months...of course the wasp invasion has begun again! I always read but have not been posting here for a while!

HI to all , especially ICE and PSB! Still having fun watching the hackers try their stuff and get boinged by the mods...god they are a dumb bunch...so easy to "setup"

regards
jeff

gizzer777 said:
I have a 4dtv and viewsat extreme. Like most, I use the 4dtv to position the dish and depend on the servo to position the "skew" or polarity. (odd or even 4dtv channels)

I recently did a rescan on G10 and noticed that I was getting channels on BOTH H and V polarity. The 4dtv was set to a "virtual" channel (like above 22). I am now wondering how the Virtual channels have the polarity set...could it be that the polarity settings is also "virtual" (on the virtual 4dtv channels) That would be a dream come true!!!!

I was going to dedicate a 30" dish for FTA but the 8 ft BUD does so well with FTA that I am staying with it for my FTA!!!

MODS...I realize that this is both a C band AND FTA post...wasn't sure where it belonged again!
This I would put as FTA...since it involves a FTA box. If you were having issues with the 4DTV box, then it would be C-Band...at least thats how I interpret it.

Have been pretty silent in this forum since my FTA has been just flawless for the past few months...of course the wasp invasion has begun again! I always read but have not been posting here for a while!

HI to all , especially ICE and PSB! Still having fun watching the hackers try their stuff and get boinged by the mods...god they are a dumb bunch...so easy to "setup"

glad to see you back :)

not to the answer....so are you getting DIFFERENT transponders on H & V or the same but the polarity is different? When I scan G4 with my Fortec Classic 9I have a LNBF on my C-Band setup) I get 90% of the same TP's on BOTH Vertical & Horizontal. SO when it scans I get (example)

3800 H 5555 and 3800 V 5555...

But if you are getting both H & V like you should, that would be pretty sweet :D

must test a little more...Thanks ICE!

I have become fat, dumb, and lazy AGAIN, since all is operating so nicely. (still have not done the latest official viewsat firmware flash since both my computers have no serial ports)...I am too lazy to get a usb to serial adapter since no one knows (or is talking)what the new Viewsat flash does!

I get some duplicates on G10 with blind scan, but I always did the blind scan with either odd or even channels (up to the "normal ch 22")set on the 4dtv which gives a positive sound (you can hear the servo moving the probe for either H or V polarity)The Corotor has the little probe for polarity changes as you know.

By accident, I was on one of the virtual channels on the 4dtv when I re-scanned G10 last night, and there appear to be FTA channels on both H and V polarities when the 4dtv is set to one of the virtual channels....I will try again tonight and be a bit more careful in my observations!!! I was in shock last night and got stuck watching my favorite..."THE TUBE" ON G10:D

I get no interference from other birds powerful transponders with FTA...so I am staying with the 8 footer!!!! (for both FTA and 4dtv.)

Would you believe that I only pay $105 per year for all starz channels (inc 2 HD channels...) ! Not too shabby and with my FTA addition...do not need anything else!

Best regards,
Jeff

When I scan through my C/ku lnb's, I have to scan one channel (for H or V) and then change it to get the other side. My FTA receiver's don't know the difference as far as which is H or V, I guess cause it has no control. The Pansat will list the first part of the scan as H, regardless of which it is, and the second part V, while the Coolsat is opposite and will list the first part V, regardless of which it is, and the second part H. Then on the Pansat I have to go through it again while it tries to paste any found channels. If you never changed the channel, I suspect they were like Iceberg said "3800 H 5555 and 3800 V 5555...".

Al

voomvoom

my LNBF (no polorotor...DMSI 421) does that though...that's the weird thing

Pansat knows whats H & whats V
Coolsat knows whats H & whats V
Fortec seems to scan H stuff as both H & V and V as V only....weird

They know the difference on both ku USALS I have, but with either of the BUDS, regardless of what polarity it's on, the Pansat list H first and V second, while the Coolsat list V first and H second.

Al

Viewsat Extreme on BUD w/4dtv-update + Firmware Up

Well, First off, it does appear that with the 4DTV 922 set on a "Virtual channel" (above 22) when you blindscan, you DO get both H and V polarity channels on the FTA STB....as ICE said SWEET!!!! :) :) :)

Now a preliminary report on the new Viewsat factory firmware (March 2006)....

I borrowed a USB to serial port adapter (since neither of my 2 new computers have a native serial port.)

Performed the firmware upgrade and there are actually a couple differences I can see!!!

There are now 2 new icons on the screen when you change channels. #1 is labeled F1 PIP, which brings up the multi channel PIC in PIC selection (up to 9 windows like before)), no biggie but nice. Then the second icon is for F2 (labeled Theme) which brings up a (limited) settings menu, but at least you no longer have to go thru the install menu and password screens for those basic settings like Mode and brightness changes. (I never messed with them anyway!)

The Signal strength and PQ meters are still there when you change channels but with no reference numbers (have gotten used to that...and can visually judge the PQ by its relative position on the Yellow bar. Hey at least the PQ indicator is there!

Other than that I cannot as yet see any other differences...will do a few blind scans to see if speed has increased but I would be surprised. There must be something or they would not have gone to the expense of writing the update....As ICE said a long time ago...most of the time there are bug fixes and other items you cannot see. There is also a new manual arriving....SOMETIME....which has been promised for a couple of months now....maybe they hired a tech writer this time!:D

Since I use a BUD, I do not know if they have improved the USALS function....I hope so for those with the FTA motorized dishes!

Bottom Line, It still works well, but I would rather have a Coolsat 5000!!! I am waiting for an HD version before Ebaying the Viewsat Extreme though!

Now Pete...about those "Moth Balls":D

I hang out on the C band forum and HD-DVD forum mostly but still watch the FTA forum daily! PSB posted the Moth Balls approach to wasp scare tactics on the C band forum!!!!! Laughed my butt off!

Jeff

Last edited:
I've got a friend with a Viewsat Extreme on a stationary dish pointed at G10R. I borrowed his to try it on the motorized system I have. It kept losing its motor settings, going to the wrong satellite position, you couldn't put in your diseqc positions. Let's just I unhooked the receiver rather quickly and hooked the Fortec back up.

Geez...glad mine is slaved to the 4DTV and Bud!

Iceberg said:
I had the same issue with the original Viewsat.

That is a pretty big bug!!! Sure glad mine is slaved to the 4dtv and BUD or I would have tossed it by now! I guess my setup eliminates the issue since my 4DTV does the dish moving! The actuator (motor drive) is about 10 yrs ol (my 2nd one in 20+ yrs!), only an 18" model and a no name one to boot! I have had a new one standing by for months but the oldie just will not give up!!
COOLSAT...PLEASE MAKE AN HD SET TO GIVE ME AN EXCUSE!:D

I wonder if anyone else with an extreme has flashed the march Firmware and seen improvemenT?

Jeff

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
Well, First off, it does appear that with the 4DTV 922 set on a "Virtual channel" (above 22) when you blindscan, you DO get both H and V polarity channels on the FTA STB....as ICE said SWEET!!!! :) :) :)
Jeff

The polarity of a virtual channel is based on the underlying transponder that it is associated with.
A poorly adjusted skew setting on the underlying transponder and a strong signal could cause the results that you are seeing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.