Streaming with Blockbuster Thread

Unless you had a free Platinum promotion,you would gain access to the 22 channels that was in the Platinum package for $10.,plus 1 out DVD rental,plus access to streaming through your Dish Network receiver.:)

I already had all the streaming channels except Cinemax. The 1 out DVD is kind of useless because most everything in my queue either says Unavailable (5), Short Wait (1), Long Wait (3) or Very Long Wait (3).

I tried to watch "The Next Three Days" HD off BBMP. I let it download for about 20 minutes then started watching. After about 30 min it started dropping audio then pausing and getting error 910 Buffering... it would play for 5 seconds then buffer again... repeat. I exit out, let it download for another 30 minutes and try play again, same thing after 10 minutes of play audio drops video pauses buffering error. Took me like 8 attempts to finish the movie.

I have 722 hard wired to N router with 8M tested Comcast. No sign of a quality meter, but HD picture was very good (when it played).

See the two attached images. Note the amount of HD time available, 24h45m and (19) events (just to show I didn't cheat :D) in "IMAG0111".

I deleted (2) recordings from My Rentals that were "streamed" and then checked the amount of time available. 26h15m and still (19) events total.

Damned you dish... damn you to helllll!! :D So much for the separation of "User" and "Dish" spaces on our drives.. :)

I have 722 hard wired to N router with 8M tested Comcast. No sign of a quality meter, but HD picture was very good (when it played).
If you aren't getting the stream/connection quality meter then you're not getting the newer streaming performance, and you're watching a title on the older VOD delivery method.

The meter shows up initially or when ever you hit cancel to bring up the channel/title banner.

It would really help us DISH, If you would give a nod, a wink, or MAYBE A FREAKIN' ICON to identify those "IPVOD" and "VOD" titles for us.. :)

Damned you dish... damn you to helllll!! :D So much for the separation of "User" and "Dish" spaces on our drives.. :)
Here's a more logical way to look at it (may not be entirely true though):

Pay us (Dish) for the content, we store it in 'our' partition

Get it for free, we store it in 'your' partition

:D :p

Im sure this has been discussed .

Im losing all of the downloaded titles with 24hr period.
Not thrilled so far.
Constant buffering as well. Im using a hard wired connection.
Lightening fast connection.

I finally found a free HD title with Stream Quality meter, something called "Twelve". Watching right now. Getting 4 out of 4 bars, good picture, 5.1 audio, no buffering yet but intermittent flickers of thin horizontal white(s) line across the picture...

Edit- getting worse. stopping & restarting does not help.

Edit- welp, made it through about 45 minutes and the audio started dropping and now have Buffering error on my screen and it won't continue. Still says 4 out of 4 bars, but the buffer is not filling up. I can rewind and play, then it dies at the same exact spot. I rewind, stop, exit, resume, then it dies at the exact same spot again.... Guess I don't get to see the end of this movie!

Last edited:
ralfyguy said:
I posted about this a couple of hours ago. Same here. Reboot didn't work.

Sorry, didn't see that, but I'm glad to see it isn't just me. I'm wondering if it is because all my titles have disappeared but they all show up on dish online under my rentals, but I can't delete them there. They also show up on ky dish remote app under Dvr, can't delete them there either. I guess my point is I have 28 titles in limbo, some of them say download stopped. I wonder if it is too much for the interface via the receiver to handle so it has slowed to a crawl. No streaming for me tonight. I'm hopeful dish is dedicating significant resources to this product. I can't imagine having a huge press conference and this being acceptable.

To those who are talking about not being able to download and store movies because they are disappearing...that is not what streaming is supposed to be. Obviously there are those who will point out we may not yet have true streaming by pure definition at this time and I won't argue that point...although every movie in HD I've tried to watch has started virtually instantly with no issues at all.

However, my point is that to expect to be able to download and store "streaming" titles for later viewing is unrealistic. You can't do that with Netflix, either. And yes, I know some will point out they can watch Netflix streaming but can't get Dish to work right...but that doesn't change the fact that streaming isn't about downloading and viewing later. It's about selecting it and streaming at that time.

There's nothing wrong with streaming and keeping the data afterward. I don't think many would complain about that. Heh, I wouldn't. One issue or complaint is, "streaming" doesn't mean wait 15, 30, 90 minutes before one can start watching reliably.

At this point, and this is just my opinion, some titles are "streamable" while others are not. Those that are not must be downloaded (not the entire movie, mind you, but enough to stay ahead of the buffer). Another observation I've seen is the lack of the "stream quality meter" on some titles.

I think the movies disappearing may be a symptom of a bigger issue. Some people were showing 0 movies available last night, I had to clear my filter, wait 2 minutes to get titles to show up. As soon as I paged down, the titles would freeze. The numbers kept moving, but no photos or descriptions of movies. When I did select a movie, it was a 2 hour availability on a movie I had previously streamed flawlessly.
The movies disappearing were the least of the issues last night. And I understand why people do not like them disappearing since netflix has a Que of your movies.
Like I said, its new and I'm hoping it improves each month. On a side note, I got a shipping delay email this morning.

It would sure be nice if Dish would let us know what the heck is happening.
Dan

It's pretty obvious what is happening- Dish launched a service before it was actually working. They are currently doing beta testing and we are the guinea pigs.

I finally found a free HD title with Stream Quality meter, something called "Twelve". Watching right now. Getting 4 out of 4 bars, good picture, 5.1 audio, no buffering yet but intermittent flickers of thin horizontal white(s) line across the picture...

Edit- getting worse. stopping & restarting does not help.

Edit- welp, made it through about 45 minutes and the audio started dropping and now have Buffering error on my screen and it won't continue. Still says 4 out of 4 bars, but the buffer is not filling up. I can rewind and play, then it dies at the same exact spot. I rewind, stop, exit, resume, then it dies at the exact same spot again.... Guess I don't get to see the end of this movie!

Somehow I was able to delete what seems was a locked up download of "Twelve" and re-download it. This time I waited for it to completely finish downloading, I fast forwarded to where I left off before and tried to finish watching. The new copy still had the flickering horizontal white lines. At about 1 hr into the movie my receiver hard rebooted by itself and when it came back on the rental was gone.

So far I have not been able to finish watching a single BBMP streaming show because of buffering, freezes, hard reboots, lost downloads....

It's pretty obvious what is happening- Dish launched a service before it was actually working. They are currently doing beta testing and we are the guinea pigs.

I totally agree that it isn't working as smoothly as it should...no doubt about it. For those of us who had Platinum and are getting the one disc add-on for free (or three at a time for only $10 more) we're very willing guinea pigs. Free additions are always welcome in my book! :)

I believe with time us early-adopters will see enormous changes to their system (particularly the streaming and disc availability) because there is no way it will be a long-term success otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)